Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replacing/repairing a mower deck

Greetings

I have a Toro MTD mower with the 21 inch cut. One lever to adjust the
height of all four wheels. Really good when you don't have a flat
(let alone level) yard. Price was right - friend found it on a job
site. Replace the cables and it works. Starts easily if I use the
alcohol free gasoline.

But - deck rot. As in, there is a hole rusted through the deck where
clippings shoot out. Kind of 'neat' when the grass is dry, but no big
either way.
But, underneath, well, let us just say that I can dig a lot of
grass out from where it should not be, as something has rotted out,
and rather than direct the grass to the rear exhaust port, it is
packing into this "space"
I've been on the MTD website and part 16997 - "21 deck ass'y" is
no longer available. "Waddaya mean, it's a 1991! Why aren't they
stocking the deck assembly?" [Because it is a 1991 model, and they
want you to replace the whole mower.]

Which leaves us with the repair option. The problem is, I am not
a welder. Which means, I dunno - mill one out of a block of
something? Bang and shape some sheet metal to fit, then rivet, fasten
with screws/rivets/JB Weld/Gorilla Glue?

Or bit the bullet and start hitting the garage sales?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:05:08 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Which leaves us with the repair option. The problem is, I am not
a welder. Which means, I dunno - mill one out of a block of
something? Bang and shape some sheet metal to fit, then rivet, fasten
with screws/rivets/JB Weld/Gorilla Glue?

Or bit the bullet and start hitting the garage sales?
--
pyotr filipivich.

I would try hitting the lawn mover shops. They throw out movers that are still useable.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

I'd open up the hole out to metal solid enough to attach to, file the
edges enough that they won't cut you, then trace the opening onto thin
cardboard such as a file folder or cereal box.

Draw an overlap of an inch or so around the tracing, cut it out and
copy it in sheet metal. The metal patch will be easier to align while
bending and drilling if you mark the hole outline by center-punching
through the cardboard and connecting the dimples with a thick marker.

You could attach it with small screws and nuts, then hammer the
protruding threads so they can't vibrate loose.

The same process minus the overlap can give you a snug-fitting patch
that could be MIG welded flush. Magnets will hold a flush-fitted steel
patch in place while tack-welding around them, then you can bend the
rest of the patch flush with the original surface.

Sheet metal that's too thick to snip and too thin to saw can be cut
with a cold chisel, either by scoring the line against a solid backing
or by shearing it along the top of vise jaws.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 03:38:58 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:05:08 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Which leaves us with the repair option. The problem is, I am not
a welder. Which means, I dunno - mill one out of a block of
something? Bang and shape some sheet metal to fit, then rivet, fasten
with screws/rivets/JB Weld/Gorilla Glue?

Or bit the bullet and start hitting the garage sales?
--
pyotr filipivich.

I would try hitting the lawn mover shops. They throw out movers that are still useable.

Dan

Lots of "terminally neglected" engines on good decks - doesn't have to
be the same brand as long as the shaft lrnth is the same.

Repairing a broken magnesium mower deck Joe Gandalf Metalworking 25 June 4th 13 04:14 AM
welding a mower deck wf3h[_2_] Home Repair 21 June 17th 11 04:17 AM
repairing a treadmill deck Eigenvector Woodworking 8 July 29th 08 02:44 AM
mtd mower deck cj Home Repair 4 April 22nd 07 01:29 PM
Need help - Repairing Electric lawn Mower [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 16th 06 07:39 PM