Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this metal zinc?

Okay so, I ordered about 2 pounds of zinc off of ebay from a good seller.
At first I suspected it wasn't zinc because it was really soft. Zinc is a
soft metal but is it that soft? I asked the seller and he insisted greatly
that it was melted from zinc wheel weights, however, I think otherwise
because of this reasons. I experimented on the metal. I suspected lead
because it leaves a residue on my bare hands after handling and because
it's a tiny bit harder than lead, I also did the sound test by dropping
the ingot, it did not make a blunt sound but more of a "ding". So I ruled
out lead. Next, I got some zinc from a melted penny. Since I heard zinc
reacts with acid to produce hydrogen, I took some metal form the ingot and
the zinc from the penny and placed it in vinegar. After 1 hour, the zinc
from the penny was producing hydrogen and turning into a black powder
while the other did nothing at all. After a few days The zinc was totally
dissolved and the other metal was still perfectly fine. Next I did a
hardness test, I could not easly dent or scratch the zinc from the penny
but I was able to dent the other metal easily. it's harder than lead but
softer than zinc. The metal is a shiny gray color. Does anyone here know
what it could be? (I haven't tried to melt it because I don't want to
create toxic fumes if it is something other than zinc.)

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...nc-615512-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08-Jun-15 12:18 PM, JoshAGS wrote:
[...]

Do some googling to see what wheel weigh alloys are composed of.

Do a rough density check - stick your ingot in a jug & work out its
volume (or measure?) weigh it down the post office. That might give you
an idea if is close to the density of Zn.

The bullet makers here will know what its made from.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 04:18:02 +0000, JoshAGS
wrote:

[...]

Zinc Wheelweights? While there are some out there...the majority of
them will be lead. Nearly a #2 alloy of lead and tin. They will indeed
Ding! when dropped on a piece of steel plate.

Sounds like you got 2 lbs of lead wheel weights.

Need zinc?

http://www.amazon.com/Roto-Metals-Zi.../dp/B001QUXB04

http://www.metalshipper.com/zinc.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zinc-Powder-...-/201367141189

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLION-2-LB...-/331576127160

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zinc-ingots-...-/291478443168

etc etc etc

Testing for zinc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jPEr05O0mM

http://webmineral.com/help/FlameTest.shtml#.VXUs89JViko

etc etc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JoshAGS" wrote in
message oups.com...
[...]

Weigh it suspended in and out of water. The difference in grams is its
volume in milliliters. Zinc's density is around 7 grams per
milliliter.
http://www.themeter.net/pesi-spec_e.htm

If you need standard weights for a home-brew balance, US nickels weigh
very close to 5 grams.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to just_me , JoshAGS wrote:
justme wrote:

Do some googling to see what wheel weigh alloys are composed of.
Do a rough density check - stick your ingot in a jug & work out its
volume (or measure?) weigh it down the post office. That might give you
an idea if is close to the density of Zn.
The bullet makers here will know what its made from.

The biggest ingot weighs 14 ounces and other zinc ingots of the EXACT same
size weigh 10 ounces.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...nc-615512-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

does it write on paper like pencil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JoshAGS wrote:
[...]

More than likely it's a lead alloy. While there are zinc wheel weights
they are not in popular use, lead and steel are the common ones,

As for the (I haven't tried to melt it because I don't want to
create toxic fumes if it is something other than zinc.) Melting zinc
CREATES VERY TOXIC fumes. Ask anyone about welding and working with
galvanized metals.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 14:42:11 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

JoshAGS wrote:
[...]

Melting zinc doesn't cause fumes until it gets very hot. When you see
white smoke coming off it is too hot. Breathing the fumes will make
you sick if you breathe enough but is unlikely to kill you.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

JoshAGS wrote:
[...]

Right. It causes "zinc fume fever," also called "metal fume fever,"
which has symptoms a lot like a bad flu. I had it once, when the wind
direction changed on me and I didn't get out ot the way. It's not
deadly, but it's really upleasant.

At a decent welding supply you can find throw-away masks made
expressly for dealing with this, made by 3M. I forget what I paid for
mine but it's not something you want to throw away in a hurry. I keep
mine in a big zip-lock bag.

Lead fumes, on the other hand, can produce permanent neurological
effects that are not nice.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

JoshAGS wrote:
[...]

I got metal fume fever once when welding an alloy that I didn't know
contained a bunch of zinc. I knew there was some from the way it was
welding but didn't realize there were clouds of fumes coming out. My
welding hood lens was just plain to dark. I felt really ****ty for a
few days and realized that I now knew what fume fever is like.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Ignoramus7853 , JoshAGS wrote:
ignoramus7853 wrote:

does it write on paper like pencil

I just tested that and it does write on paper. Does this mean it contains
lead?

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...nc-615512-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Junior Member

Location: United States

I suspected lead
because it leaves a residue on my bare hands after handling and because
it's a tiny bit harder than lead, I also did the sound test by dropping
the ingot, it did not make a blunt sound but more of a "ding".
cheap metal buildings

OT; WorldPay Zinc The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 August 12th 13 09:11 PM
Soldering zinc Jeweller[_2_] UK diy 11 July 31st 10 08:40 AM
zinc flashing andrew UK diy 5 May 13th 09 11:46 PM
Zinc Metal Test wsb Metalworking 5 July 21st 05 04:48 PM
Electroless zinc wsb Metalworking 7 March 28th 05 07:57 PM