Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT disgusted with all presidential candidates

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 22:41:40 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:56:36 -0400, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 20:00:28 -0500, Ignoramus26399
wrote:

snip
While it is true, generally even in the medium run you will see
employment decimated.

/snip
Be reminded that one company's employees are another
company's customers.

True..but you arent going to be hiring highschool summer help to fix
the bots.

Truth! And the witless "board changers" they're turning out nowadays
are going to do nothing but run up the cost of a mechanized burger.

So we are running out of places for kids to earn money.

People complain to me all the time that they hate paying my prices for
weeding, weedeating, mowing (things I don't do) because they can't
find a single teenager willing to do it. One of the guys I hired
through the temp agencies to help me set up some fences now has his
own odd jobs company, and he's thriving. Teens don't seem to have he
willingness to do what needs to be done to get along in this world.
They have no concept of moving up the ladder a rung at a time. "I'm
CEO or I'm not coming to work for you!" How does one get a work ethic
when they start without ethics? Parents aren't instilling that into
kids today, at least not from my perspective. Grandparents scold
their kids and grandkids about it all the time. 'Tis sad, indeed.

When was the last time you saw a teenager working in a MickyDs etc
etc?

I think the fast food restaurants found that the older homeless adults
made for much better employees than the flaky, no-show teens ever did.

In So Cal..they are ALL adults..generally semi english speaking adults

Teens are too busy blowing their way too large allowances on $400
Nikes, video games, and loud exhausts/window tinting for their
Accords.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:01:27 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:
(snipped)
[...]

What area do you live in Larry? I haven't noticed the teenagers here in NC with this attitude. Neither of my sons had such either. As teens, one worked in construction and the other a diesel mechanic's helper. Then, there's the other side of the coin. When I was 14, I started working for brick layers as a hod carrier. It was very hard manual labor working with heavy loads that a 14 yr. old had no business doing. It did damage. I'm convinced it's what has caused many of the problems with worn out shoulders and other joint problems now at 65. The teenagers in this area appear to me to be willing to do just about any type of work. Hopefully, OSHA has put a stop to what I was stupid enough to take on. I made sure the son in construction wasn't carrying hod.

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2015 9:01 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

People complain to me all the time that they hate paying my prices for
weeding, weedeating, mowing (things I don't do) because they can't
find a single teenager willing to do it. One of the guys I hired
through the temp agencies to help me set up some fences now has his
own odd jobs company, and he's thriving. Teens don't seem to have he
willingness to do what needs to be done to get along in this world.
They have no concept of moving up the ladder a rung at a time. "I'm
CEO or I'm not coming to work for you!" How does one get a work ethic
when they start without ethics? Parents aren't instilling that into
kids today, at least not from my perspective. Grandparents scold
their kids and grandkids about it all the time. 'Tis sad, indeed.

Yep! The only thing that will help today's and tomorrow's society is
some kind of reset. the last couple of generations have no values. I'm
glad I'm old!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I'm glad I'm old!

So is the planet Earth! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-07, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

so, you do not want to be young and stupid?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 06:57:19 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton
wrote:

[...]

I live in Southern Oregon, Grants Pass. I've only seen two sets of
teen boys who did yard work. One pair were neighbor's boys, the
others are the sons of one of my temp workers, who are now working
with him. I never see "work wanted" by teens in the paper, either,
and those are -free- to kids 18 and younger! I ask parents if their
kids do yard work for their spending money and every single one I have
asked has looked at me like I have 3 eyes. Either the kids won't be
caught dead doing it, or the parents don't think their kids should be
doing it. I seldom get an answer as to which it is. Very odd.

As teens, one worked in construction and the other a diesel mechanic's helper. Then, there's the other side of the coin. When I was 14, I started working for brick layers as a hod carrier. It was very hard manual labor working with heavy loads that a 14 yr. old had no business doing. It did damage. I'm convinced it's what has caused many of the problems with worn out shoulders and other joint problems now at 65. The teenagers in this area appear to me to be willing to do just about any type of work. Hopefully, OSHA has put a stop to what I was stupid enough to take on. I made sure the son in construction wasn't carrying hod.

Garrett, when were your kids teens? 20+ years ago? I think work was
still acceptable to teens back then. I have no idea what's going on
in their minds now.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 12:18:31 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

[...]

We may have trouble at the Old Folk's Home, though. No workers,
"uneddicated" doctors and nurses and program directors, etc.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One of my sons is 31, the other 30. So, ~11-15 yrs. ago. I just had my kitchen remodeled by the son of the contractor. He was 20, and the 3 others working for him were teens. They all did a fine job of it. Sober, on time and good work. It might have something to do with disposable income of the parents in OR versus NC. I'm sure there's a fair number of deadbeat useless teens here too, but I honestly haven't seen it much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gee, and I thought I was the Lone Ranger.

I never "gave" my three kids anything. they all had "jobs" around the
house and got paid on Friday night. Interestingly my daughter, the
youngest, was the most frugal. She worried about her brothers stealing
her salary and I suggested that she let her mother hold it and she
wondered if her mother might spend it so I suggested that she have a
notebook to keep track of what she "had in the bank" and she
complained that she couldn't add and subtract and I said, "learn how".
I had the only 5 year old accountant on the street :-)

As teens, one worked in construction and the other a diesel mechanic's helper. Then, there's the other side of the coin. When I was 14, I started working for brick layers as a hod carrier. It was very hard manual labor working with heavy loads that a 14 yr. old had no business doing. It did damage. I'm convinced it's what has caused many of the problems with worn out shoulders and other joint problems now at 65. The teenagers in this area appear to me to be willing to do just about any type of work. Hopefully, OSHA has put a stop to what I was stupid enough to take on. I made sure the son in construction wasn't carrying hod.

Garrett, when were your kids teens? 20+ years ago? I think work was
still acceptable to teens back then. I have no idea what's going on
in their minds now.

--
cheers,

John B.