Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ?Acetone vs Laquer Thinner?

On Wednesday, July 29, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Byron D. Krohn wrote:
Please explain the difference between Acetone and Laquer Thinner.

Thanks,

Byron, in Austin, Texas

Computer techies like acetone very well for removing heatsink compounds and adhesives. Denatured alcohol may then be invoked for any remaining residue.. (Denatured alcohol evaporates more slowly.)

I noted recently that a speaker repair tech on youtube uses lacquer thinner to clean up speaker gasket adhesive, instead: So I end up here wondering about solvents.

A cabbie friend of mine before had generally used paint thinner to get rid of stickers on cars: I pointed out why I prefer acetone for that instead. It's far less nasty, smelly, and it evaporates really quickly. He appreciated the info, tried it out, and agreed. (We knew about WD-40, too.)

Acetone definitely is fine also for removing cyanoacrylate ("super glue")--it's the main ingredient in nail polish remover. Again, it's far "nicer" than paint thinner for that.

I like acetone since it evaporates quickly: That makes it sometimes a less effective solvent, though. I'm considering obtaining a small can of lacquer thinner--it's not essential, though: I've used acetone before in speaker repair.

Thanks to everybody here!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 08:14:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Acetone is acetone. g Lacquer thinner is any of a variety of
volatile solvent mixtures, tailored to the lacquer type and to the
method and conditions of applying the lacquer. These are sometimes
known as "hot" (or fast-evaporating) and "cool" (or slow) types.

Acetone dissolves a narrower range of materials than lacquer thinner
does. It's a component of most lacquer thinners, and it's the part
that (usually) evaorates first. Lacquer thinner needs some
slower-drying components, because it's the partial or exclusive
solvent in lacquers, and you'll get a dry, dusty lacquer coating when
you spray it, if the solvent dries too fast.

Lacquer thinners dissolve and attack all sorts of organic coatings and
other materials. Be careful using it; it will wreck many types of
finishes.

--
Ed Huntress

Laquer over paint Paul[_20_] Woodworking 5 June 12th 11 04:12 PM
Laquer finish for outside?? mcgyver Woodworking 10 September 19th 06 03:35 PM
Hand rub Laquer? Woodworking 6 January 1st 06 02:33 AM
laquer over polyurethane Nash Woodworking 7 December 10th 05 01:59 PM
Polyurethane over laquer? Bubba Woodworking 11 July 22nd 05 07:10 PM