Old May 31st 15, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I like big Butts!

And the one on my smoker is a beaut . Around 9 pounds , nice pad of fat on
the bottom , and nicely marbled . Caught a pair total weight around 16
pounds for a buck fifty-nine per and jumped on it . The other piece just
barely fit in a gallon freezer bag , it's frozen for
later - maybe 4th of July .
Been on since around 10 last night at around 195 , looked really good
when I rotated it a few minutes ago .

BBQ and beers ... Shirley !
--
Snag

Old June 2nd 15, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 11:36:51 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 07:59:29 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And the one on my smoker is a beaut . Around 9 pounds , nice pad
of fat on the bottom , and nicely marbled . Caught a pair total
weight around 16 pounds for a buck fifty-nine per and jumped on it
. The other piece just barely fit in a gallon freezer bag , it's
frozen for later - maybe 4th of July .
Been on since around 10 last night at around 195 , looked really
good when I rotated it a few minutes ago .

BBQ and beers ... Shirley !

Temple? Or You Jest?

She's the virtual barmaid over at rec.motorcycles.harley , also
known as The Virtual Bar&Grill . This was also posted there .

I Qed up and charred a pork loin last week. All that fat made
quite a fire, so the microwave finished cooking the inside. It was
great.

This isn't "Q'ed up and charred" my friend . This is a highly
controlled and monitored application of smoke and heat to a
well-seasoned piece of high quality Pork Butt .
I use a horizontal tube type of smoker that has a fire chamber on
one end . The opposite end of the main chamber has a smokestack with
a damper . Between the inlet control and the stack damper , I held
the cooker at between 185 and 195 from 11PM until 4:00 the next
afternoon . Small pieces of Seasoned Cherry Wood were
strategically placed throughout the chunk charcoal charge to
optimize the sweet smoke and it's enhancement of the flavors
produced . Bottom line , nobody's ever turned down third helpings -
and I've "turned" Texans to pork . There are 2 secrets - low heat
for a long time , and a dry rub that forms a glaze to help retain
moisture . I usually pull the meat from the bone with a plastic fork
... I'd be happy to post my rub recipe if anyone wants it ...

Greetings Terry,
Yes please, post your recipe. I am now in the process of adding
temperature controllers to my smokers and the smokers of my brother
and a friend.
Thanks,
Eric

Here ya's go :
Snag Rub
5 parts onion powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part paprika
2 parts salt halve if you use sea salt
4 parts chili powder
6 parts brown sugar
Use whatever units of measure fit your task . Keeps well but has a
tendency to clump .
Y'all are welcome to share this recipe , all I ask is that you call it Snag
Rub .

--
Snag

Old June 2nd 15, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 17:19:58 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, if I tell anyone I will be sure to attribute it to you. I came
up with a brine recipe for corned beef if you are interested.
Eric
Old June 2nd 15, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure the tag "snag rub" will catch on here in Australia where
snag is short for snagger. A snagger is a pork or beef sausage.

It looks like a good recipe anyway. I might try it on my next roast. Do
you add some olive oil or anything to it to apply it or do you just rub
it into the outside of the meat dry?
Old June 2nd 15, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Call it "Snag's Butt Rub" then grin I know you Aussies have a sense of
humor ...

It looks like a good recipe anyway. I might try it on my next roast.
Do you add some olive oil or anything to it to apply it or do you
just rub it into the outside of the meat dry?

I rinse the meat off , pat excess water off then just shake it on and pat
it into the meat . You should end up with a pretty decent coat all over
except the bottom . That's the way it's done in Memphis Tn , and that's
where I learned how . I usually do butts , there is a pad of fat that I
put on the bottom . Keeps the meat from being as greasy - I put the meat
right on the rack , if you want you can put a catch pan under there to catch
the drippings .
Try it on some ribs , but they won't need to cook more than 3-5 hours .
--
Snag
I hear there's only two things wrong with New Zealand - it's above sea

Old June 2nd 15, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Snags butt rub it is then! I'll give it a go.

Us Aussies seem to BBQ differently you you Yanks. There's been a trend
to hooded BBQs here over the last decade or two. Before that everything
was just done on a solid plate BBQ.

We also seem to cook a lot quicker and at higher temps - I think we are
slowly catching on to lower temp longer cooking times. We don't do much
in the way of ribs either, occasionally cut up lamb or beef ribs. I
mainly do rolled pork legs or shoulders, only small ones up to 2kg (5
pounds) or so.

I'll grab some beef in next weeks groceries and give your recipe a try.
Do you usually serve with some sort of gravy or just rely on the rub?

Old June 2nd 15, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

just_me wrote:

I'll grab some beef in next weeks groceries and give your recipe a
try. Do you usually serve with some sort of gravy or just rely on the
rub?

Umm , I usually do (and just did) pork , though the rub is also good on
briskets . The way it (pork shoulder/butt ) is served here is on a bun with
some not much , usually BBQ sauce and a small dollop of cole slaw . Most
of the sauces we use are based on tomato sauce with a dash of vinegar and
some sugar and spices . Common side dishes are baked beans , fried okra ,
potato salad , and often french fries .
Properly cooked , a shoulder or brisket should be fork-tender . I
sometimes use a plastic fork to pull the meat , just amazes people ! Just
bear in mind , low-n-slow . I allow a minimum of 1.5 hours/pound at 185F .
--
Snag

Old June 2nd 15, 08:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/1/2015 10:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
just_me wrote:

I'll grab some beef in next weeks groceries and give your recipe a
try. Do you usually serve with some sort of gravy or just rely on the
rub?

Umm , I usually do (and just did) pork , though the rub is also good on
briskets . The way it (pork shoulder/butt ) is served here is on a bun with
some not much , usually BBQ sauce and a small dollop of cole slaw . Most
of the sauces we use are based on tomato sauce with a dash of vinegar and
some sugar and spices . Common side dishes are baked beans , fried okra ,
potato salad , and often french fries .
Properly cooked , a shoulder or brisket should be fork-tender . I
sometimes use a plastic fork to pull the meat , just amazes people ! Just
bear in mind , low-n-slow . I allow a minimum of 1.5 hours/pound at 185F .

Pork is the barbecue meat. Period. Anything else is grilling.
Grilling is fine, but it ain't barbecue.

Old June 2nd 15, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And the one on my smoker is a beaut . Around 9 pounds , nice pad of
fat on the bottom , and nicely marbled . Caught a pair total weight
around 16 pounds for a buck fifty-nine per and jumped on it . The
other piece just barely fit in a gallon freezer bag , it's frozen for
later - maybe 4th of July .
Been on since around 10 last night at around 195 , looked really
good when I rotated it a few minutes ago .

BBQ and beers ... Shirley !

Temple? Or You Jest?

She's the virtual barmaid over at rec.motorcycles.harley , also known as
The Virtual Bar&Grill . This was also posted there .

Oh, that explains why I haven't seen her. She doesn't hang out at
rec.motorcycles.rice.burner.

I Qed up and charred a pork loin last week. All that fat made quite a
fire, so the microwave finished cooking the inside. It was great.

This isn't "Q'ed up and charred" my friend . This is a highly controlled
and monitored application of smoke and heat to a well-seasoned piece of high
quality Pork Butt .

Thain't no such thing as "bad butt", is there?

I use a horizontal tube type of smoker that has a fire chamber on one end
. The opposite end of the main chamber has a smokestack with a damper .
Between the inlet control and the stack damper , I held the cooker at
between 185 and 195 from 11PM until 4:00 the next afternoon .
Small pieces of Seasoned Cherry Wood were strategically placed throughout
the chunk charcoal charge to optimize the sweet smoke and it's enhancement
of the flavors produced .

Yum, fer sher.

Bottom line , nobody's ever turned down third helpings - and I've "turned"
Texans to pork . There are 2 secrets - low heat for a long time , and a dry
rub that forms a glaze to help retain moisture . I usually pull the meat
from the bone with a plastic fork ...

drool

I'd be happy to post my rub recipe if anyone wants it ...

Oh, if you must. The word "rub" in this context is new to me, as
of about 5 years ago. It brings a smirk to my face every time I hear
it, thinking "There he goes, rubbing his meat again..." vbg Until
then, I'd only heard "sauce" or "seasoning recipe", and I'd never seen
rubs in grocery stores at all. But I live for spice, so bring it on!

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 2nd 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

just_me wrote:

[...]

Elitist pig! ;^) Anything which can be smoked and charred on the
outside and left tender inside is Q, period.