Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair Lincoln Idealarc

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 3:07:42 PM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:
Id also mention..that is one of the finest welders ever made. I see
them in countless machine/welding shops..still chugging away 40 or
more years since they were new.

Spent four hours on it today, and got nowhere. thar's enough. I'm NOT
an electrical repairman.

You're right, this was a wonderful welder. I've had it 25 years.

Thanks for trying to help the helpless.

karl

Karl, I am surprised at you. You own a welder for 25 years and say it was a wonderful welder. And then you say you are only looking at Blue Machines.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, I am surprised at you. You own a welder for 25 years and say it was a wonderful welder. And then you say you are only looking at Blue Machines.

Dan

Lincoln made one hell of a good welder 40 years ago.

their managment discovered China and cheap manufacturing and ran the
name into the ground. DAMN shame but not an uncommon story.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 9:46:30 PM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

Lincoln made one hell of a good welder 40 years ago.

their managment discovered China and cheap manufacturing and ran the
name into the ground. DAMN shame but not an uncommon story.

Just be cautious about buying a Miller Econotig. The current ones may be better , but the older ones are not too good. When I was shopping for a Tig welder, the manager of the welding store I frequented told me to avoid the Econotig. His store was a Miller dealership.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2015 10:24:26 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2015 05:41:47 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no
idea how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My
worry, and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later
saying sorry can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you
buy our new box for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.

If you want to go new and cheap you might want to consider Everlast:

I'm only looking at blue boxes.

Karl

You might want to consider the Everlast . Mine has performed extremely
well for the nearly 2 years I've had it . And it was less than half the cost
of blue or red .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair GULP I had no
idea how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My
worry, and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later
saying sorry can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you
buy our new box for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.
If you want to go new and cheap you might want to consider Everlast:

I'm only looking at blue boxes.

Karl

You might want to consider the Everlast . Mine has performed extremely
well for the nearly 2 years I've had it . And it was less than half the cost
of blue or red .

I think if I was buying a new machine but wanted to save some money it
would be one of the Lincoln MP units. They are a programmable unit that
does MIG, Flux core, DC TIG and stick all in one box.

Been watching Jody playing with one and so far it seems to be a real
nice machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WbwS54B-0

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might want to consider the Everlast . Mine has performed extremely
well for the nearly 2 years I've had it . And it was less than half the cost
of blue or red .

I think if I was buying a new machine but wanted to save some money it
would be one of the Lincoln MP units. They are a programmable unit that
does MIG, Flux core, DC TIG and stick all in one box.

Been watching Jody playing with one and so far it seems to be a real
nice machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WbwS54B-0

A need AC TIG and soon. Got a stack of irrigation pipes in need of
repair. A welder would be cheap and easy to find if I didn't need both
high power stick and AC TIG

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:24:37 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
A need AC TIG and soon. Got a stack of irrigation pipes in need of
repair. A welder would be cheap and easy to find if I didn't need both
high power stick and AC TIG

I would get one of the inverter TIG machines that would do the aluminum
work needed and watch for an old Miller DialArc AC/DC to turn up used.
The two machines would back each other up for stick welding at least...

I'd love to have an inverter TIG to play with but I don't really NEED
one at this point in time. They cost a bit too much and I think they
have a lot of electronic stuff inside that could crap out just sitting
around unused... My old Solar (Century, Wards...) 295 amp stick box
hasn't got much inside that can fail. And my Millermatic 200 MIG
hasn't got a lot of electronic stuff but more than the Solar. It fires
up though every time I ask it too even though it pretty much sits
around nowadays.

You might be able to use a MIG Gun for your aluminum repair. Can't
remember if you got a MIG machine or not. It's nice having
backups/choices when one of them acts up...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:24:37 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
A need AC TIG and soon. Got a stack of irrigation pipes in need of
repair. A welder would be cheap and easy to find if I didn't need both
high power stick and AC TIG

ESAB has some interesting stuff too. Maybe there Heliarc 281i would suit
your fancy. Some discussion about where its made:

===
Thank you for your recent information request on the Heliarc 281i. The
power supply for the Heliarc 281i is made in Italy. It is then
assembled in the USA with additional parts i.e regular and tig torch
that are manufactured in the USA as well. If you have any additional
questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Bryan A. Braddock
Inside Sales Representative
Weldcall Technical Support
ESAB Welding and Cutting Products
Phone: 843-664-4281
Fax:803-753-9266

from:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...C-DC-Tig-stick
===

ESAB's own website:

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products...=11130& tab=1

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd love to have an inverter TIG to play with but I don't really NEED
one at this point in time. They cost a bit too much and I think they
have a lot of electronic stuff inside that could crap out just sitting
around unused... My old Solar (Century, Wards...) 295 amp stick box
hasn't got much inside that can fail. And my Millermatic 200 MIG
hasn't got a lot of electronic stuff but more than the Solar. It fires
up though every time I ask it too even though it pretty much sits
around nowadays.

I have a Miller 252 MIG welder. Wonderful machine. Have an AL spool
gun for it. Works well for most AL work but not on irrigation pipe.
You can't beat a TIG for weld control. If you are putting a weld-on
female end onto a pipe section, you need MAX heat and a wife or son to
hold the torch for preheat. Little welders just don't do it.

I'm driving an hour each way to get a couple of these done on my son's
welder - Syncrowave 250. he's offered to sell me his for $1800. i may
take hime up.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 May 2015 12:24:16 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

Oh come now, you've already admitted to having a nice MIG machine ;-)

I guess it has a lot to do with what we are most comfortable with
using. I feel/do best with the MIG but the stick welder is a lot easier
to dig out and fire up...

Just remembered that Jody put up a couple TIG videos in the past
few weeks than may interest you. They are on using helium gas and how
they can make a weak TIG machine weld heavier aluminum pieces than
using just argon. Maybe you already know this... but if you want to
watch:

TIG Welding Thick Aluminum using DC and Helium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dCZyH_NBI

Tig Welding Aluminum with Argon Helium Mix part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDvRJ7HZ6E

Tig Welding Aluminum with Ar/He Mix part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJy7SbtH6s

Good luck with your bidding and let us know what you end up with.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

A tiny violin is being played for you, Karl. Pobrecito!

In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
-- Albert Camus
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Ive got a 350 amp squarewave tig machine (and a hot spare)
that is my workhorse for tig. Ive welded 16x6" chunks of aluminum
together with it..using a 1/4" Lanthanated tungsten and a Big! ass
torch..and preheating with a rosebud. With Tri-mix.
While wearing insulated coveralls..a leather apron, a leather coat and
stick welding gloves. My power bill went up $40 bucks that month too.

I could have put hotdogs on a stick around the welding area and had
lunch afterwards. Not something I want to ever do again.

Now I reserve that power level for welding with 3/8" 6011/7014
rod...seldom..very seldom....cant afford the power bill.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 May 2015 15:41:25 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

If you can't speak, just nod yes to Jacob's synchrowave.

You're need is urgent and related to bidness.

Your tits-up Linc is probably repairable but you don't have time or
inclination to mess around like a hobbyist might. That pot probably
controls a saturable reactor. Since the pot seems to check good, the
problem is probably either with the DC supply (rectifier diodes) for
the saturable reactor, or a bad connection. It could be an open
winding on the saturable reactor or a bad control transformer, but
that'd be unlikely.

The synchrowave is a very capable TIG machine. I don't think I'd
trade my dinosaur Miller DialArc 250 for one because, while the newer
machines have more bells and whistles, they also have more electronics
and that's what usually fails -- and is very expensive to get fixed.
I've had a couple of weldors tell me that when the boss changed out
their DialArcs for Synchrowaves, they suddenly could no longer weld
aluminum tanks without leaks. Just sayin' what I heard. The ol'
DialArc is a 400-lb dinosaur, but it's reliable as gravity and does
everything I wanna do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:07:39 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Id also mention..that is one of the finest welders ever made. I see
them in countless machine/welding shops..still chugging away 40 or
more years since they were new.

Spent four hours on it today, and got nowhere. thar's enough. I'm NOT
an electrical repairman.

You're right, this was a wonderful welder. I've had it 25 years.

Thanks for trying to help the helpless.

karl

Well, don't scrap it yet. It ain't like you don't have room at your
place for a busted machine. We can have a look at it some gunsmoke
and good grub get-together day.

Think you or Jacob might have any ideas about my oil-slingin' lathe
spindle?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 20:46:20 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Karl, I am surprised at you. You own a welder for 25 years and say it was a wonderful welder. And then you say you are only looking at Blue Machines.

Dan

Lincoln made one hell of a good welder 40 years ago.

their managment discovered China and cheap manufacturing and ran the
name into the ground. DAMN shame but not an uncommon story.

But your Linc was made when Linc and Miller led the field by a mile.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:09:12 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Ebayers and Craigslisters will buy anything.

I just put it up on craigs list. waiting for the rash of idiot phone
calls. Bet I'm sorry before its done.

Think of it as your contribution to younger, smarter, willing-to-try
guys who recognize value in a quality old machine that needs a bit of
TLC. Give 'em a bargain, what the hell! It's our time of life to
be giving back, right? You won't even notice the nick in your
bottom line and it might be good for your karma.

Think how good you'll feel when a deserving young guy or gal hauls it
away, grinning, after paying you a pittance for it. It's the right
thing to do, Karl. Bless you!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

SAVED

There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big
commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.

Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.

Karl

Ya wanna come get my DialArc 250 for 3 weeks? You'd owe me and
Vicki, but offer's on the table. I can get by without TIG for 3
weeks. I still have MIG and gas.

Hell, I always have gas -- Vicki will vouch for that!

I'm not kidding, Karl; if you wanna borrow my DialArc 250 for three
weeks or so, come 'n get it. You're about the only guy I'd trust
with it -- like you trusted me to put hands on your beloved Monarch
10EE.