Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More metalworking today

Still on the mower deck ... yesterday the bearings I ordered to rebuild
two spindles arrived , and have been installed - smewth! Today I plan to
pull the two outboard spindles and replace them with the rebuilt units ,
sharpen and balance the blades (made a balancer cone the other night) mount
new front tires , and adjust the deck to run with the wheels off the ground
.. I found out this is a "terrain follower"deck , and can be run either
suspended or with the wheels supporting it .
I might also find time to start to build a device to weigh my bee hives .
I have a 110 lb dial type spring scale , plan on a 1:1/2:1/3:1 lever system
set up so I pull down on a lever to lift the hive . Pictures will be posted
when I finish it .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Still on the mower deck ... yesterday the bearings I ordered to
rebuild two spindles arrived , and have been installed - smewth!
Today I plan to pull the two outboard spindles and replace them with
the rebuilt units , sharpen and balance the blades (made a balancer
cone the other night) mount new front tires , and adjust the deck to
run with the wheels off the ground . I found out this is a "terrain
follower"deck , and can be run either suspended or with the wheels
supporting it .
I might also find time to start to build a device to weigh my bee
hives . I have a 110 lb dial type spring scale , plan on a
1:1/2:1/3:1 lever system set up so I pull down on a lever to lift
the hive . Pictures will be posted when I finish it .
--
Snag

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Game-Scale.../dp/B001B75VM8

I have the older 440 Lb scale from Harbor Freight. It matches the
readings from my bathroom scale pretty well.

These are light and compact and work well within their rating. If
pushed too hard the brake on mine becomes difficult to release.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ist-67144.html

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

The scale I have looks just like that 550 lb unit in your first link , but
only has a 110 lb capacity . I have no place to mount a chain hoist ... this
device must be easily portable , since it will be used out in the bee
yard(s) and must be hand carried from hive to hive .
A basic description : a vertical member , with a lever on a pivot on top .
On one end will be a chain/hook device to hook up to the hive body . The
other end will have 3 attachment points at 1 2 and 3 to one ratios , the
scale will attach to whichever one keeps the hive weight within scale .
Another lever on a pivot is atttached to the bottom of the scale is pulled
down to lift the hive body .
Weight is the easiest way to tell if the bees are bringing in nectar
without invading the hive frequently to check the frames . If they're
getting heavier , groovy . If they're losing weight I need to either find a
better location for them to forage or start feeding them sugar syrup , and
that can get expensive with several hives . We have 4 now , and they can
easily go thru 25 lbs of sugar in 2 weeks .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is terrible. where's the political crap in your posts? Too much
metalworking content.

Karl