Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting ad

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 12:21:44 PM UTC-7, F. George McDuffee wrote:
snip

http://tinyurl.com/mlf56y8

Shows how your CNC lathe with spindle indexing and live
tooling can cut splines and gears improving 1 and done
manufacturing.

In your example you won't have concentricity issues because it's a one and done with all variables being controlled in one op. That's the way to go if you can.

In my case, we make some gears using pinion wire running it on a lathe. We buy the wire which is drawn through a die.

The supplier threads one end of a bar as shown in this photo and then pull through die.

http://tinyurl.com/mvd5aef

Here are a couple gears I make and a different sized pinion wi

http://tinyurl.com/levy4pe

The issue with buying pinion wire is concentricity. The OD is rarely concentric with the pitch and minor. Concentricity issues cause major backlash issues in assemblies that don't have backlash compensation Using a round 5C collet doesn't work, you start off by not being concentric.

In our case I had Hardinge make us some collets that chuck on the pitch diameter, shown here;

http://tinyurl.com/ksm2oht

This way all the critical dimensions are concentric with the ID and OD turned features.

The next major issue was how to deburr the parts. Using ThinBit tools to machine the OD dimensions and they are great tools better than any other but under microscope there still left microscopic burrs on the teeth which is not allowed by the customer.

To remove the burrs and polish up the parts, after a lot of searching I found a "Magnetic Finisher" that does a wonderful job. The machine shop size is about $27,000.00. Since we are making small & micro miniature parts for this product line I found a Magnetic Finisher that is used for polishing rings and cost less than $500.00.

Similar to this one;

http://tinyurl.com/makx4mw

Sounds like it's beating the parts up but it's not. Will add more information on this deburring and polishing machine later.

Tom