Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SLOW MOTION OF GUN SHOTS

On Sat, 16 May 2015 21:14:36 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2015 13:09:39 -0400, "Scout"
wrote:

Fw:SLOW MOTION OF GUN SHOTS
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 07:50:40 -0500

For those people who believe that the recoil of a gun from firing
a bullet affects the aim to the target, here is proof that the bullet has
long departed the gun by the time that the gun starts recoiling. Recoil
has NO effect on the aim point .

Amazing slow motion gun shot videos........

At over 1,000 frames per second these super fast slow motion
cameras are incredible

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/sowmoghy2

Sorry, but while in a handgun the movement isn't gross enough until after
the bullet leaves the barrel to clearly see, barrel flex between primer
ignition and the bullet exiting the barrel is a known and established fact.
the problem is much of the motion isn't perceptible to the eye until the
gross motions that occur after the bullet exists, but even a very small flex
can alter your point of impact drastically at range.

Very true in a long (springy) rifle barrel..but less so..much less so
with handguns.

Gunner

Actually, depending on the action and/or the load, a pistol like the
1911 Colt may have movement of the barrel before the bullet leaves the
muzzle. When Jim Clark built his first long slide 1911 he found that
he was getting poor accuracy - out of a machine rest. He finally
determined that with the long slide and the (of course) longer barrel
that the slide was actually starting to move, and thus the rear of the
barrel dropped) before the Target loaded bullet left the barrel.

I lived in Shreveport and knew Jim quite well at the time and he used
to give me a lot of advise about my own efforts to build accurized
1911's. And he related this story when I asked questions about a long
slide gun I was building. The solution was a slightly heavier slide
and a slightly stronger recoil spring.
--
Cheers,

John B.