Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Our Rail System Is So Bad...

that I often wonder if some idiot like slow eddy is in charge. It's clear that America has a serious mass-transit problem that we have never been able to deal with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMtUEAAW0x9.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 9:34:11 AM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
that I often wonder if some idiot like slow eddy is in charge. It's clear that America has a serious mass-transit problem that we have never been able to deal with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMtUEAAW0x9.jpg

A few more countries that continue to illustrate the point:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMdUEAAK_VW.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:
that I often wonder if some idiot like slow eddy is in charge. It's clear that America has a serious mass-transit problem that we have never been able to deal with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMtUEAAW0x9.jpg

We have no problem hauling more freight than the rest of the world except
China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_us...nne-kilometers

I can move more stuff in a wheelbarrow than any european freight train
can. I'm not sure what the deal is with their plastic pasenger trains and
model sized freight trains is. By any tehnical measure it's quite
different from what we have in north america.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-05-16, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
that I often wonder if some idiot like slow eddy is in charge. It's clear that America has a serious mass-transit problem that we have never been able to deal with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMtUEAAW0x9.jpg

We have no problem hauling more freight than the rest of the world except
China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_us...nne-kilometers

I can move more stuff in a wheelbarrow than any european freight train
can. I'm not sure what the deal is with their plastic pasenger trains and
model sized freight trains is. By any tehnical measure it's quite
different from what we have in north america.

I never realized how little was transported by rail in the EU. I guess
it is a consequence of so many wars waged when railroads could be
built, and now it is too late to build them.

Note that per person, Russia transports 79% more tons of freight by
rail than the United States. I guess it is because their roads are
bad.

See how bad they a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4U5ZmkaXcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZT4h7U29c8

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16/05/15 22:04, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
that I often wonder if some idiot like slow eddy is in charge. It's clear that America has a serious mass-transit problem that we have never been able to deal with:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFI_FMtUEAAW0x9.jpg

We have no problem hauling more freight than the rest of the world except
China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_us...nne-kilometers

I can move more stuff in a wheelbarrow than any european freight train
can. I'm not sure what the deal is with their plastic pasenger trains and
model sized freight trains is. By any tehnical measure it's quite
different from what we have in north america.

One of the issues here in the UK is that the loading gauge is fairly
small in many parts and varies around the country due mainly to the
implementation of the railways being by local companies serving the
locality and joining to other nearby railways forming a network, also
somewhat to the UK having invented the railroad. I live near the GWR
railway and IK Brunel had the foresight to build with a large loading
gauge but others that came later didn't see the need and built new
structures such as bridges with a loading gauge smaller than used by
Brunel. On a recent trip to London you could see the upshot of this as
due to the electrification of the GWR line many small loading gauge
bridges are having to be raised or rebuilt to make room for the overhead
electric cables. My neighbour is fairly up on railways and has travelled
much of the world including the US and Russia and noted that while the
US uses 4' 8.5" spacing as the UK and has much larger trains, he
mentioned Russia as having IIRC slightly wider rail spacing and trains
larger again than those in the US, all down to what the system was
designed for and what the loading gauge size was set to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
[...]

Have they ever determined why the Tay bridge collapsed?

I can't figure out why the high girder fell so close to the piers if
the weakest points were the lower diagonal braces' cast iron
attachment lugs. Wouldn't the concrete-filled round columns have
tipped over intact?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16/05/15 23:41, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I think it was fairly thoroughly examined at the time see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_Bridge_disaster
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 2:04:57 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

We have no problem hauling more freight than the rest of the world except
China

I'm focused on rail mass-transit where I believe the US has been losing ground for many decades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6769 wrote:
On 2015-05-16, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

They also still have heavy industry, which probably makes use of giant
freight trains.

See how bad they a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4U5ZmkaXcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZT4h7U29c8

wow. I've seen mudding courses that looked far easier.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:
On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 2:04:57 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

We have no problem hauling more freight than the rest of the world except
China

I'm focused on rail mass-transit where I believe the US has been losing ground for many decades.

losing ground to what?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 1:18:41 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

losing ground to what?

To places like Europe, Japan and China who take rail mass transit seriously.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6769 wrote:
On 2015-05-16, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 1:18:41 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:

losing ground to what?

To places like Europe, Japan and China who take rail mass transit seriously.

Was there a competition? Mass transit has never been "taken seriously"
here. People like cars in the US, not sittingon trains that quite honestly
don't even go anywhere meaningful in the first place anyways. A total of
once I made the decision to take Amtrak somewhere as it was faster and
cheaper than flying. I've definetly not shaking my fists in anger over it.
I just don't bother with cross country train trips.

As for intercity type transit, we have a pretty decent system in the
Chicago metropolitan called Metra, which is just passenger trains on
freight tracks. Works great, covers a lot of area too. No real complaints
there.

here's a simple Metra system map:

http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...ystem_map.html

Within the city we have the the CTA. Old, slow, pretty poorly run overall,
but still an extensive system. It does work and serves its purpose. Here's
a simple system map:

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...tatrainmap.png

So in a major city like here, yes you can get by with no car at all.
That's not the case in smaller cities though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We had college friends that rode the UP-N all the way down to Chicago.
We had light rail in San Jose/Santa Clara, Hard rail up the east bay to
SFO.

Washington DC has a nice large Metro.

LA tore theirs up when cars came and then tried to start over -
Much money for few riders.

Atlanta has a rail system as well.

Bordeaux France does not the last time I was there. Oh the High
speed train ran near there I think. But airplane / car was the
functional way.

Martin

On 5/19/2015 3:56 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20/05/15 03:50, Martin Eastburn wrote:
We had college friends that rode the UP-N all the way down to Chicago.
We had light rail in San Jose/Santa Clara, Hard rail up the east bay
to SFO.

Washington DC has a nice large Metro.

LA tore theirs up when cars came and then tried to start over -
Much money for few riders.

Atlanta has a rail system as well.

Bordeaux France does not the last time I was there. Oh the High
speed train ran near there I think. But airplane / car was the
functional way.

You must have missed the station as it's had one for a long time, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de...aux-Saint-Jean .
There are a number of routes in Europe where the high speed trains are
taking over from planes as the quickest options for the journey.

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 May 2015 14:14:08 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 20/05/15 03:50, Martin Eastburn wrote:
We had college friends that rode the UP-N all the way down to Chicago.
We had light rail in San Jose/Santa Clara, Hard rail up the east bay
to SFO.

Washington DC has a nice large Metro.

LA tore theirs up when cars came and then tried to start over -
Much money for few riders.

Atlanta has a rail system as well.

Bordeaux France does not the last time I was there. Oh the High
speed train ran near there I think. But airplane / car was the
functional way.

You must have missed the station as it's had one for a long time, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de...aux-Saint-Jean .
There are a number of routes in Europe where the high speed trains are
taking over from planes as the quickest options for the journey.

To a limited extent, that's happened here on the East coast. Before
all of the security checks, I could jump on a plane at Newark and be
in D.C. or Boston in just over an hour. Now, I take the train. It's
quicker to downtown D.C. than a plane, and a lot more convenient and
just a little longer to Boston. Plus, there is a lounge car, a dining
car, wi-fi, etc.

But I live 300 yards from a station on the Northeast Corridor. Not
many people share the same logistics, except those near the train
lines.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
We had college friends that rode the UP-N all the way down to Chicago.
We had light rail in San Jose/Santa Clara, Hard rail up the east bay to
SFO.

As the rail hub of the USA we do have quite the rail system in place here.

Washington DC has a nice large Metro.

LA tore theirs up when cars came and then tried to start over -
Much money for few riders.

The train system in LA was by far the stupidest system I've ever seen.
They were unable to figure out how to install and use turnstyles. No joke.
The airport was a load of garbage too, I was surprised it had electricity
and paved runways. It was just a tad less junky than laguardia, but still
had the tent city feel.

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I can see the same reasons in Europe, the difference is the high speed
trains here can top 200mph so the distances benefitting from that are
greater than in the US, what is the top speed of the US trains you use
or the top speed of the fastest.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

150MPH, but congestion and aging infrastructure lower the average to
highway speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acela_Express

The US Interstate system is similar to the Autobahn.

In the Boston MA area I'm familiar with the jobs are spread across a
50+ mile radius around the city and most can only be reached by car
although bus service nominally covers much of it. I've seen only a few
people waiting at bus stops at rush hour, and never a sidewalk in an
industrial park. We get too much snow to be walking in the road.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

As far as I know, our fastest is the Acela Express, which is limited
to 150 mph (it's capable of 165). It's doing around 120 when it passes
near my house. But it's either accelerating from or decelerating to
Metro Park station when it passes through my town, less than 3 miles
away, which slows it down.

I've taken it to D.C. a couple of times. It's really nice.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The TVG wasn't there - just old hard rail. Nothing in town. Streets
were small.

The TVG expanded southward and finally trying to kill off the intra-
Airplane routes.

Naturally I was there in the Early 90's coming home with a book case
of '86 wine.

Martin

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trains run higher than 100 miles an hour moving across the wide open
stretches of Texas. It is really neat to see a 150 car freight hauling
ass across the flats passing you on the parallel highway when they come
into the western mountains - you get to pass the train.

I-10 has some interesting west Texas venues with trains.

The sun-light limited (IIRC) often runs over 100 miles/hour between
San Antonio Texas and LA.

Martin