Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mower deck links

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 May 2015 21:15:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to spend
my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one - If I
couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time adapting
something from another tractor that still had paint on it. 4 words.
Silk purse Sow's ear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

As I understand it you plan on using the deck more like a bush hog than
a finish mower. As such you don't really need the airflow or ability to
blow the chopped grass out. Take a flat chunk of 3/16 plate. Layout
locations for each spindle based on the factory deck. Use some 6" pipe
or similar to drop the spindles so the blade wings clear the bottom of
the deck by an inch or two. Make sure the deck belt has a clear path.
Make a wrapped edge with the right side open and you have a belly mount
brush deck.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Tendjewberrymud. Man, talk about rode hard and put up wet...

That nice flat deck is a perfect candidate for an overlay, though.
Stage 4 cancer.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to spend
my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one - If I
couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time adapting
something from another tractor that still had paint on it. 4 words.
Silk purse Sow's ear.

My thoughts, exactly, but I'd likely have done the same thing..
When one has more time than money, it's easier to justify fixing
what's broken.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to spend
my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one - If I
couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time adapting
something from another tractor that still had paint on it. 4 words.
Silk purse Sow's ear.

Well , out here in the woods we just have to make do . The problems with
adapting a different deck are more work than repairing this one . Bottom
line is that time is available , I have the stuff I need to do this , and
I'm not making a purse .
"Use it up , wear it out , make it do or do without ."
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

As I understand it you plan on using the deck more like a bush hog
than a finish mower. As such you don't really need the airflow or
ability to blow the chopped grass out. Take a flat chunk of 3/16
plate. Layout locations for each spindle based on the factory deck.
Use some 6" pipe or similar to drop the spindles so the blade wings
clear the bottom of the deck by an inch or two. Make sure the deck
belt has a clear path. Make a wrapped edge with the right side open
and you have a belly mount brush deck.

Sounds good on paper ... but requires a bigger cash outlay . It'd be a lot
more work to do that too , with the mount points and all to utilize the
hydraulic lift this machine has . This way , I have $60 bucks I made some
gears for a guy to get that money in the replacement deck and a couple of
days out in the shop cuttin' and weldin' .
Keeps me out of trouble ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Tendjewberrymud. Man, talk about rode hard and put up wet...

That nice flat deck is a perfect candidate for an overlay, though.
Stage 4 cancer.

Flat where ? I was going to overlay the rotted places , but the way this
thing is stamped that would have been a lot more work that the "surgery" I'm
doing . And no guarantee that the spindles would still be aligned properly .
I have a nice piece of 11ga steel that I was going to use too .
Love the tag line .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to spend
my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one - If I
couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time adapting
something from another tractor that still had paint on it. 4 words.
Silk purse Sow's ear.

My thoughts, exactly, but I'd likely have done the same thing..
When one has more time than money, it's easier to justify fixing
what's broken.

Doen't make any sense to pour time and money into something that
doesn't stand a chance in H E Double L of ever standing up. Better to
start from scratch, even wiith a couple ends from a 45 gallon drum..
Any time or money spent on that deck is just urinating into the wind.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 08:45:07 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to spend
my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one - If I
couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time adapting
something from another tractor that still had paint on it. 4 words.
Silk purse Sow's ear.

Well , out here in the woods we just have to make do . The problems with
adapting a different deck are more work than repairing this one . Bottom
line is that time is available , I have the stuff I need to do this , and
I'm not making a purse .
"Use it up , wear it out , make it do or do without ."

I'm sure I could make a new deck out of material readily at hand out
in the sticks in less time, and for less money, than you will fix that
one - and it will last at least 10 times as long.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1
I'll tell ya, I'd be looking for something a little better to spend
my time on!!!! I wouldn't waste ten minutes fixing that one - If I
couldn't find the proper JD deck to fit I'd spend the time adapting
something from another tractor that still had paint on it. 4 words.
Silk purse Sow's ear.

My thoughts, exactly, but I'd likely have done the same thing..
When one has more time than money, it's easier to justify fixing
what's broken.

Doen't make any sense to pour time and money into something that
doesn't stand a chance in H E Double L of ever standing up. Better to
start from scratch, even wiith a couple ends from a 45 gallon drum..
Any time or money spent on that deck is just urinating into the wind.

Clare , you seem to think I'd waste my time on a worthless project . I
thought you knew me better ... now go look at the photos I posted this
afternoon and get back to me on that waste of time and money thing . That
deck is almost ready to sandblast and paint .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dude , are you just in a ****y mood or what ? GO LOOK AT THE PICTURES I
POSTED TODAY .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No reason to sandblast if you use POR-15. Paint will look like **** on a badly pitted surface. POR-15 can even be sanded smooth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 19:01:53 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

How many hours of work so far?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

About 8 hours total and I've spent ten bucks on cutting and grinding
supplies . I'll probably spend that much again on nuts and bolts to replace
the ones I had to cut to get stuff apart .
Clare , I've got everything here to build one (if I use some parts from
these 2 decks) , but no way could I fabricate something out of raw
materials in the amount of time I'll have into this project when I'm
finished . Nor would anything I cobbled up work as well as this
well-engineered device .
I suspect you and others thought I was repairing the swiss-cheese one -
and I seriously considered it . But I decided it wasn't worth it . So I
bought another specifically for the stamped body . I didn't expect the
mounting hardware to be different , but it was no big problem moving what I
needed and cuttin' off what I didn't . The fatigue cracks at the mount
points were not-unexpected , the fact that some idiot ran it with them like
that was though . A couple of minor welds still to be done and I could hang
this thing and have it cutting by tomorrow afternoon if I didn't want to do
some derusting and paint it . From now on it's all cosmetic .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 20:55:23 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

It was the "cheese" that caught my eye, but the rust on the cracked
one had me concerned too. What size are the blades?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Rust on the "new" deck is mostly cosmetic , no structural integrity problems
or it would have been "no sale" . The blades measure 16" , the design lets
the cuts overlap an inch on both sides for a net cut width of 46" .
I might wait til this fall to paint it , I have areas that need to be cut
"now" . I have stuff that needs to be planted soon for flowering later this
summer to feed the bees .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 21:51:24 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

A triblade deck using 20 inch blades can be quickly and easily
fabricated using 3 44 gallon barrel ends, (22 1/2" diameter) cut bent,
overlapped and welded or bolted together with a few angle iron (bed
frame?) and plate peices for mounting brackets and some old bedframe
angle to re-enforce the spindle mounting. Could also be done with 16
inch blades using 20 gallon grease drums. (18 1/4" diameter ).

Drums and bedframes are in plentiful supply in MOST of rural america
and are made of substantial steel.. 8 hours of work with decent tools
would make a pretty good deck, using the original spindles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Tendjewberrymud. Man, talk about rode hard and put up wet...

That nice flat deck is a perfect candidate for an overlay, though.
Stage 4 cancer.

Flat where ? I was going to overlay the rotted places , but the way this
thing is stamped that would have been a lot more work that the "surgery" I'm
doing . And no guarantee that the spindles would still be aligned properly .
I have a nice piece of 11ga steel that I was going to use too .

It appears that the area between and around the spindles is dead flat.
(see 'original deck, cancer fatality' pic)

Love the tag line .

Thanks. I modified the boring old Latin version.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Tendjewberrymud. Man, talk about rode hard and put up wet...

That nice flat deck is a perfect candidate for an overlay, though.
Stage 4 cancer.

Flat where ? I was going to overlay the rotted places , but the way
this thing is stamped that would have been a lot more work that the
"surgery" I'm doing . And no guarantee that the spindles would still
be aligned properly . I have a nice piece of 11ga steel that I was
going to use too .

It appears that the area between and around the spindles is dead flat.
(see 'original deck, cancer fatality' pic)

It's not flat , the spindles are recessed about 5/8" .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 19:00:49 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

I saw no new pics there, Snag.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I added 3 this afternoon , showing the old deck with chunks cut out and
spindles removed , the underside of the replacement , and a detail (sorta)
shot of the new piece I welded into the replacement at the front mount .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

OK , Larry J , here are some pictures
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Tendjewberrymud. Man, talk about rode hard and put up wet...

That nice flat deck is a perfect candidate for an overlay, though.
Stage 4 cancer.

Flat where ? I was going to overlay the rotted places , but the way
this thing is stamped that would have been a lot more work that the
"surgery" I'm doing . And no guarantee that the spindles would still
be aligned properly . I have a nice piece of 11ga steel that I was
going to use too .

It appears that the area between and around the spindles is dead flat.
(see 'original deck, cancer fatality' pic)

It's not flat , the spindles are recessed about 5/8" .

Tell that to your bloody cinematographer, and don't pay him. He
should have known to shoot it at a better angle.

I see the new pics now, BTW. Nice work.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

It appears that the area between and around the spindles is dead
flat. (see 'original deck, cancer fatality' pic)

It's not flat , the spindles are recessed about 5/8" .

Tell that to your bloody cinematographer, and don't pay him. He
should have known to shoot it at a better angle.

I see the new pics now, BTW. Nice work.

He works for free ... I use the old point-n-shoot camera for this stuff ,
don't want to mess up the new one .
And thanks ! I'll get some pics of the mods to the top when I get out to
the shop this morning . Might even show how the spindle mounts are recessed
grin .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Stamped steel , dude . Heavy gauge too , it's like 1/8" thick .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Cub Cadet used cast iron sections on a few of the early decks they made.
The outlast just about the entire stamped steel areas.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 17 May 2015 07:13:59 -0700
wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

"made by bronzed American Working Men in Pittsburgh!"

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Stamped steel , dude . Heavy gauge too , it's like 1/8" thick .

Then it was poorly chosen steel. One seldom sees cracks show up in
sheet metal of that thickness.

Obviously not "forged"

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Cub Cadet used cast iron sections on a few of the early decks they made.
The outlast just about the entire stamped steel areas.

Probably "cast steel"...which would be a great choice. Cast iron..not
so much.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Stamped steel , dude . Heavy gauge too , it's like 1/8" thick .

Then it was poorly chosen steel. One seldom sees cracks show up in
sheet metal of that thickness.

Obviously not "forged"

Gunner

Actually , considering it is thirty plus-minus years old and used hard , I'm
not surprised . I'd bet a c-note that the blades that were on that deck are
all out of balance . I'd also bet the user was doing what I was going to do
before I learned better , which is let the wheels support the weight of the
deck . Fatigue and overload are not a happy combination .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner

Cub Cadet used cast iron sections on a few of the early decks they made.
The outlast just about the entire stamped steel areas.

Probably "cast steel"...which would be a great choice. Cast iron..not
so much.

Gunner

Nope cast ductile. The decks that use these parts were made in the mid
70's, I'd say they have held up pretty well.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Cast iron deck? Which idiot came up with cast iron for that
application???????

NICE repair though!!!

Gunner
Cub Cadet used cast iron sections on a few of the early decks they made.
The outlast just about the entire stamped steel areas.

Probably "cast steel"...which would be a great choice. Cast iron..not
so much.

Gunner

Nope cast ductile. The decks that use these parts were made in the mid
70's, I'd say they have held up pretty well.

Ah! I blinked out ductile iron completely. Ayup...good choice for
that application..

Gunner

Torro Mower Deck John Normile[_2_] Home Repair 2 March 30th 13 11:25 PM
welding a mower deck wf3h[_2_] Home Repair 21 June 17th 11 05:17 AM
Mower Deck Spindles J.A.Michel Home Repair 2 May 24th 09 07:15 PM
mtd mower deck cj Home Repair 4 April 22nd 07 02:29 PM
Rhino Liner on a mower deck Roy Metalworking 11 December 15th 03 06:24 PM