Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a tool holder, have a metal 'type' question

On 2015-05-10, Bob Gentry wrote:
On 8 May 2015 01:02:07 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

and I have a set of 3/8" shank tools that I use in the 11"
Logan.

Are these with the insert held in place by a single center
screws, flathead or very slightly oval, and a hex (Allen) socket?

Yes. Triangle.

[ ... ]

However -- if the insert tooling is like what I described, the
shanks are mild steel anyway, so as long as your holder has greater
cross section overall than the 3/8" shanks, you can probably do with
mild steel. (Just look for things bending or loosening in operation.)

[ ... ]

No.
The shank sorta looks like a large heavy handled 'spoon'. (the spoon
part is flat both sides) In the 'spoon' end is mounting bolt and two
tool clamps. The lower clamp can be indexed in 4 'V' groves ( think 8
point star). The lower clamp has a 45deg. angle on one edge. (think
9oclock for the tool bit, mounting bolt in the center and the angle at
3oclock). The upper clamp has a matching taper and an oblong hole
which allows it to slide to adjust to the tool bit.

O.K. With the clamps, this is a much higher grade than what I
was thinking you had. So if this does not like the interrupted cut of
the shaper, the cheap ones which I was thinking of would fail even
quicker. :-)

Glad that you got things going.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Junior Member

Location: United States

Summer vile Steel use to sell tool steel remnants at $1 / lb and Alloy steel remnants at $.25 a lb. Do not know what their current policy is. If they still sell remnants, I would use 4340 or stress proof. No good reason other than they machine fairly well and are slightly rust proof.cheap metal buildings