Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting thin tiny glass parts

Not exactly metalworking. I needed to make a replacement glass piece
for a camera because I removed the IR/UV filter and the space needed
filling for proper focusing. I used a 1mm glass slide, the type made
for microscopes. The piece needed to be 8 x 9 mm. I mamaged to get one
and then discovered I had scratched it. So I tried again and was
rewarded with a scratch free piece. I was surprised how hard it was to
cut this glass, for it to break where I wanted it to, and finally
figured out how to score it properly. I hope I never need to do this
again.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not exactly metalworking. I needed to make a replacement glass piece
for a camera because I removed the IR/UV filter and the space needed
filling for proper focusing. I used a 1mm glass slide, the type made
for microscopes. The piece needed to be 8 x 9 mm. I mamaged to get one
and then discovered I had scratched it. So I tried again and was
rewarded with a scratch free piece. I was surprised how hard it was to
cut this glass, for it to break where I wanted it to, and finally
figured out how to score it properly. I hope I never need to do this
again.
Eric

Years ago I did lapidary work. While most everything was done with stone I used to play with glass sometimes. I was able to cut glass with a diamond saw, grind to shape using grinding and sanding wheels with water drip to keep things cool. The glass was mounted to dop sticks using what was called dop wax which was almost like old style sealing wax used with stamps for letters and such. Maybe you can find someone close by that is into lapidary work for help? A designing jeweler may point you in the right direction. I'd bet that your local glass shop has wet belt sanders with different grit belts for finishing glass edges. Maybe they would let you use their belt sanders for your project?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:57:05 -0700 (PDT), Gerry

[...]

Greetings Gerry,
I have done lapidary work and even have the stuff still to do it. My
stone saw is just not set up to cut stuff so small and the glass is
more brittle than the stones I have cut in the past. I did finish off
the piece by using one of my diamond wheels on my slow speed carbide
grinding/lapping machine. I was actually surprised at how fragile the
glass was. I have cut glass tiles in the past year with one of my
diamond cutting discs cooled and lubricated with water and had no
trouble. But the little pieces I just did were much more prone to
chipping and cracking than the tiles and the diamond cutting disc
caused too much edge chipping, even when run quite slow.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:16:06 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Microscope slides are soda lime glass. If you had some Corning slides,
they used to be tempered -- probably, they still are.

Although tempered glass is strong, it gets its strength from being
pre-stressed in a way that increases bending strength but also can
make it prone to chipping as the stresses are relieved. Generally, the
chips are quite large; you've probably seen how tempered car windows
shatter into pellets, rather than into sharp little shards.

All of that may be of no help in understanding what you're running
into, but be aware that there are different grades and they may break
in different ways.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that there are fused-quartz slides, too.
You generally can't tell the difference by looking at them and you'd
know it if you bought them in a package. They have very high UV
transmittance but I have no idea how they cut.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not exactly metalworking. I needed to make a replacement glass piece
...for proper focusing. I used a 1mm glass slide, the type made
for microscopes. The piece needed to be 8 x 9 mm. I mamaged to get one
and then discovered I had scratched it. So I tried again and was
rewarded with a scratch free piece. I was surprised how hard it was to
cut this glass, for it to break where I wanted it to

The usual scheme, is to rotate a brass or copper cylinder tool, painted with
abrasive slurry, and trepan out a disk. A kind of hotmelt glue (jeweler's wax,
or dop adhesive) holds the work. It's slow, because the glass will crack
if you allow the cut to heat it too much.
I've done it with a tinning swab, a few drops of glycerine, and SiC grit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01-May-15 10:41 AM, whit3rd wrote:
Not exactly metalworking. I needed to make a replacement glass piece
...for proper focusing. I used a 1mm glass slide, the type made
for microscopes. The piece needed to be 8 x 9 mm. I managed to get one
and then discovered I had scratched it. So I tried again and was
rewarded with a scratch free piece. I was surprised how hard it was to
cut this glass, for it to break where I wanted it to

The usual scheme, is to rotate a brass or copper cylinder tool, painted with
abrasive slurry, and trepan out a disk. A kind of hotmelt glue (jeweler's wax,
or dop adhesive) holds the work. It's slow, because the glass will crack
if you allow the cut to heat it too much.
I've done it with a tinning swab, a few drops of glycerine, and SiC grit.

Out of interest why brass or copper? Does the abrasive embed in it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress prodded the keyboard with:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:16:06 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:57:05 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 5:25:46 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
[...]

In all probability the glass needs anealing. Heating up to red and a
very slow cooling down. Bottles & such take 8 to 12 hours, but they
are much thicker than a microscope slide.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 21:42:45 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

[...]

I wish they were quartz because of the toughness and UV transmission.
The filter I removed was a two piece affair. At first I wondered why
two pieces of glass were cemented together and I thought maybe it was
for strength. But I think it is because the clear piece of glass is to
filter out UV. This would be good because CCD sensors also see into
the UV spectrum a ways and I would like to get some pictures of
reflected UV from flowers and such. Tonight I will be installing the
glass and doing any adjusting of the sensor location that may need to
be done. Tomorrow night I hope it will all be back tohether so I can
try it out at a bonfire.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 19:41:59 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd

Not exactly metalworking. I needed to make a replacement glass piece
...for proper focusing. I used a 1mm glass slide, the type made
for microscopes. The piece needed to be 8 x 9 mm. I mamaged to get one
and then discovered I had scratched it. So I tried again and was
rewarded with a scratch free piece. I was surprised how hard it was to
cut this glass, for it to break where I wanted it to

The usual scheme, is to rotate a brass or copper cylinder tool, painted with
abrasive slurry, and trepan out a disk. A kind of hotmelt glue (jeweler's wax,
or dop adhesive) holds the work. It's slow, because the glass will crack
if you allow the cut to heat it too much.
I've done it with a tinning swab, a few drops of glycerine, and SiC grit.

I have done this. I needed a smaller diameter achromat so I used a wax
chuck to hold the lens. The saw was a bronze cylinder and the abrasive
was diamond. When I was done I had the smaller dia. lens and a ring of
glass. Too bad I dropped the ring before I had a chance to show it to
anybody. But the lens worked great. But the glass piece I needed for
this camera is rectangular, there is a cutout it fits in and a couple
gaskets to seal it and the sensor from dust.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 May 2015 19:43:58 +0800, RodK wrote:

On 01-May-15 10:41 AM, whit3rd wrote:
Not exactly metalworking. I needed to make a replacement glass piece
...for proper focusing. I used a 1mm glass slide, the type made
for microscopes. The piece needed to be 8 x 9 mm. I managed to get one
and then discovered I had scratched it. So I tried again and was
rewarded with a scratch free piece. I was surprised how hard it was to
cut this glass, for it to break where I wanted it to

The usual scheme, is to rotate a brass or copper cylinder tool, painted with
abrasive slurry, and trepan out a disk. A kind of hotmelt glue (jeweler's wax,
or dop adhesive) holds the work. It's slow, because the glass will crack
if you allow the cut to heat it too much.
I've done it with a tinning swab, a few drops of glycerine, and SiC grit.

Out of interest why brass or copper? Does the abrasive embed in it?

Yes, the abrasive does imbed. I make laps for carbide from brass.
After the lap is turned to size I press diamond dust into the brass.
It really works quite well. For the saw I used to make a smaller
achromat I put the abrasive on a piece of hardened steel and pushed
(hard) the cutting edge of the saw into the diamond.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good luck. I never priced the quartz slides before but I just looked
them up -- which I should have done before posting. Yipes, they're
expensive.

I see that they're also said to be available in borosilicate glass
(the stuff old Pyrex was made from -- today, it's tempered soda lime
glass), but I didn't look for a supplier. Borosilicate is still
another kettle of fish.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I posted this before, apparently Pyrex is still made with borosilicate
in Europe, it seems the US made stuff is tempered soda lime glass, I
guess to reduce the price. Certainly all the Pyrex I have here in the UK
is clear and doesn't have the green cast often seen in soda lime from
iron and when dropped doesn't break like a tempered glass DAMHIK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Right. We can get the borosilicate cookware, but my recollection is
that it's imported from Europe. The Pyrex cookware usually sold in the
US is now tempered soda lime glass.

Certainly all the Pyrex I have here in the UK
is clear and doesn't have the green cast often seen in soda lime from
iron and when dropped doesn't break like a tempered glass DAMHIK.

Iggy had a bad experience with a relatively new Pyrex baking dish. It
shattered in the oven. I'm hanging on to my old stuff, some of which
dates back to the '60s.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Yes. The "Pyrex" brand fell into the wrong hands after Corning nearly
died when the dot-com bubble burst, and was selling off "non-core"
businesses.

The new company is busily destroying the Pyrex brand.

Certainly all the Pyrex I have here in the UK
is clear and doesn't have the green cast often seen in soda lime from
iron and when dropped doesn't break like a tempered glass DAMHIK.

Iggy had a bad experience with a relatively new Pyrex baking dish. It
shattered in the oven. I'm hanging on to my old stuff, some of which
dates back to the '60s.

Iggy is not alone. Lots of horror stories on the web now.

There are now people selling borosilicate glassware, by that name,

And I'm hanging onto my old stuff too.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-06-10, Gray_Wolf wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2015 08:33:36 -0700, wrote:

[Snip]

I wish they were quartz because of the toughness and UV transmission.
The filter I removed was a two piece affair. At first I wondered why

[ ... ]

Perhaps a source of quarts flats would from quartz crystals used in
electronic devices. e.g. RF oscillators, computer clock control and
such. I think CCD sensors are more sensitive to IR than UV. In any
case UV doesn't transmit well through regular glass lens.

The problem with the quartz used in frequency-determining
crystals is that they are ground to thickness, and thus have a frosted
look, not a nice flat surface to allow it to act as a window/filter for
images. The older ones are mounted between two metal plates which make
contact only at the corners, with a spring applying pressure to the
upper plate.

Later ones have metalized surfaces on each side, with a
spring-formed wire soldered to the center of each. There, even if the
surface were flat enough for optical image transmission, you would have
to dissolve the metal coating with an acid which would attack the metal
without attacking the quartz.

And -- the largest that I have ever seen was about 1/2" square,
which is not likely to be large enough for the sensor in question.
(Well ... I've never opened the two inch long can for a 1 KHz crystal
which I have, but it still would not be wide enough, even if it were
long enough.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

May not be large enough but how about the quartz windows on old UV eraseable
EPROMs? Have to dig it out of the epoxy, but I'm sure lots of shops and
tinkerers have some stuck away in a junk drawer.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
wrote in message ...

On 11 Jun 2015 03:11:05 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-06-10, Gray_Wolf wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2015 08:33:36 -0700, wrote:

[Snip]

I wish they were quartz because of the toughness and UV transmission.
The filter I removed was a two piece affair. At first I wondered why

[ ... ]

Perhaps a source of quarts flats would from quartz crystals used in
electronic devices. e.g. RF oscillators, computer clock control and
such. I think CCD sensors are more sensitive to IR than UV. In any
case UV doesn't transmit well through regular glass lens.

If you want optical quality windows go to newport.com They sell
parallel surface windows made from all known optical materials.
There are many other scientific optics sources on the Internet.

On 2015-06-10, Gray_Wolf wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2015 08:33:36 -0700, wrote:

[Snip]

I wish they were quartz because of the toughness and UV transmission.
The filter I removed was a two piece affair. At first I wondered why

[ ... ]

Perhaps a source of quarts flats would from quartz crystals used in
electronic devices. e.g. RF oscillators, computer clock control and
such. I think CCD sensors are more sensitive to IR than UV. In any
case UV doesn't transmit well through regular glass lens.

If you want optical quality windows go to newport.com They sell
parallel surface windows made from all known optical materials.
There are many other scientific optics sources on the Internet.

Greetings Carl,
I didn't know the windows on EPROMs were quartz but it makes sense.
The ones I have though are too small. Fortunately the glass lenses in
my camera let through a pretty significant amount of near UV. Just
like window glass. Hence the internal two piece filter between the
lens and sensor in my camera. This near UV passing through normal
camera lenses is also the reason for the UV/Haze camera filters.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a really neat xtal - lots of RF ones, but a 2.0000 KHz.
It is a tight tolerance Audio grade.

Kinda neat. I haven't taken it apart - I want the 2k as is -
but wonder the design - long I suppose. But more than one xtal ?
Is it filtered or just finely ground to audio tone generator.
Saws are used to fine tune and trim - in RF.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Always get sapphire window. More common than thought.
Many cell phones are sapphire and many chemical ports are. I have some
myself. Most is broken flats and I have at least one nice one.

Martin

On 2015-06-10, Gray_Wolf wrote:
[...]

A simpler solution may be fused quartz microscope slides and cover
slips. One can also get disks. For instance:

..https://www.tedpella.com/histo_html/quartz-micro-slides.htm

Cutting dados for thin shelves Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Woodworking 7 March 18th 12 07:03 PM
Sears 10" Upside Down Radial Arm Saw cutting tiny piece of wood. [email protected] Woodworking 8 January 27th 09 01:12 AM
cutting thin wood k Woodworking 31 December 1st 07 11:56 AM
cutting thin edge of plank [email protected] Woodworking 5 January 4th 07 07:27 PM
cutting thin copper sheet [email protected] Woodworking 21 September 15th 06 03:18 PM