Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Desk lighting

I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24-Apr-15 9:28 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

If you go fluorescent or CFL definitely get the "cool white" lamps
rather than the dull yellow "warm white" ones.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:28:05 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

Closer task lighting is better for that.
How about a nice pure white (6500K) LED desk lamp?
http://tinyurl.com/khrvu4d

Or a lovely daylight fluor floor lamp? http://tinyurl.com/n3zyjex

P.S: Don't forget to remove this after waking, Tawm:
http://tinyurl.com/m7g4scl

--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:46:43 +0800, RodK wrote:

On 24-Apr-15 9:28 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

If you go fluorescent or CFL definitely get the "cool white" lamps
rather than the dull yellow "warm white" ones.

Yeah, 4100K or higher.

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

Yep, a single 4' LED unit mounted over the desk.

The 6 LOA unit's I put in the shop as replacements for 2 bulb
fluorescents made the place into an operating room. I mounted mine right
into the same places as the originals.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led...rod16460030.ip

Not my video but a YTGG member.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBSeD5NEJk

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

==================
I suggest two arm type drafting lamps with LED bulbs. Very
bright and little heat. Slightly more expensive than the
CFLs, but after making the switch a few months ago in
several lamps like them better.
Examples, but I'm sure your local big box store will have
the equivalent.
http://tinyurl.com/osv2due
http://tinyurl.com/khoack7

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

nope. nothing like a 4' shoplight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

==================
I suggest two arm type drafting lamps with LED bulbs. Very
bright and little heat. Slightly more expensive than the
CFLs, but after making the switch a few months ago in
several lamps like them better.
Examples, but I'm sure your local big box store will have
the equivalent.
http://tinyurl.com/osv2due

I have swimg-arms all over my house, some with magnifiers and ring
fluors. In one, I have a (60) 3528 SMD LED bulb totaling 4.5w and it
works well for reading on the couch. http://tinyurl.com/kr76upr
I can set these lamps in front of my eyeglasses to remove all glare.
Glare is why I don't like over-the-shoulder lights or overheads. I
put 12w (or 15?) spots in my hallway and utility room and they work
fantastically well, even in fixtures.

http://tinyurl.com/khoack7

Or these. I keep to 12w or less due to heat. And I'm shifting away
from the 20w 5050 SMD LEDs due to power supply failures over the past
couple years. Epistars seem to far outlast CREEs in the stock I have
purchased over the last 5 years.

For anything requiring lots of light, I'm back to CFL, but I'm using
4100, 5000, or 6500K bulbs. What a difference in mood and readability
at the higher Kelvin temps! I do not miss ****-yellow incandescents.
especially when these are $3 or less each.

http://tinyurl.com/ko6ocqu 9w 120-degree spot
http://tinyurl.com/kr76upr 12w 120-degree spot

http://tinyurl.com/kr76upr 15w 120-degree spot
I have yet to determine longevity, but one of ten died overnight.

Dimmability adds 15-50% to the price, but adds compatibility with
dimmers and home automation.

Be aware that a 9w bulb is driven lower so it only takes 7-8w of
power. These are BRIGHT, though. For a flashlight, I put a 9w MR16
bulb into a box with a 5ah battery and it lights up the neighborhood.

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better
solutions?

I've been very happy with the 4' 2-tube T8's I installed in my shop . Much
more light than the old T12's they replaced .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

Some alternatives

http://www.neon-john.com/Misc/Big_as...scent_lamp.htm

and

http://www.neon-john.com/Lighting/Sh...ting_index.htm

The T8 HO fluorescent lamps may output more light but also likely are
more expensive. The HO (high output) version is about 3x brighter
than regular T8 lamps.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gee, you're choice of words makes it damn difficult to read what you mean.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 8:18:30 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've been very happy with the 4' 2-tube T8's I installed in my shop . Much
more light than the old T12's they replaced .

--
Snag

I am happy with some 4 ' 4 tube T8 fixtures. I got some off Craigslist and and some more from the Habitat for humanity store. And a bunch of T8 bulbs from W.W. Grainger. The better fixtures have electronic ballasts which use a higher frequency. And you can get bulbs from Grainger that have reasonable CRI.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better
solutions?

Yep, a single 4' LED unit mounted over the desk.

The 6 LOA unit's I put in the shop as replacements for 2 bulb
fluorescents made the place into an operating room. I mounted mine right
into the same places as the originals.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led...rod16460030.ip

Not my video but a YTGG member.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBSeD5NEJk

That's the ticket!

Just NOT Lights of America. I had nothing but problems with that mfgr
the 4 times I used their lights, and I just wish the purchases had
been spaced out so it would have been a -single- learning experience.
Nuttin' but Crap. Caveat emptor.

Tawm, be aware that you can get lights which are too -bright- for
reading, too. Then again, we didn't ask what goes on inside your
office/man-cave, did we? That's probably a good thing.

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

I installed one strip of High Output T5 lights in my basement and the
difference was dramatic. Go to Home Depot and buy a fixture for High
Output T5's and matching bulbs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/26/2015 9:48 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Tawm, be aware that you can get lights which are too -bright- for
reading, too. Then again, we didn't ask what goes on inside your
office/man-cave, did we? That's probably a good thing.

Computer assembly/repair, drawing and reloading pistol cartridges.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:04:29 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 4/26/2015 9:48 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Tawm, be aware that you can get lights which are too -bright- for
reading, too. Then again, we didn't ask what goes on inside your
office/man-cave, did we? That's probably a good thing.

Computer assembly/repair, drawing and reloading pistol cartridges.

Then "too bright" probably doesn't apply. I just ordered a few more
9w spots from China. 3 swing arms @ $19 a pop and 3 spots at $2.27 a
pop would light up your bench like daytime and provide maximum
versatility. A T5 overhead and 1-2 swing arms would be nice, too.

Also look into the LED tapes. I've picked some up for $5 delivered,
and they're 5M long, self-adhesive backed. Regular 30 or high-density
60 SMDs per meter. http://tinyurl.com/jwe97xt 5630 (5.6x3mm oval LED)
http://tinyurl.com/k224vvk double-wide 5050 (5mm circular)
Most of these are 120+ degree floods.

Colors:
http://www.lazer.com.au/images/sbleds/kelvin-chart.jpg

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/27/2015 1:59 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Then "too bright" probably doesn't apply. I just ordered a few more
9w spots from China. 3 swing arms @ $19 a pop and 3 spots at $2.27 a
pop would light up your bench like daytime and provide maximum
versatility. A T5 overhead and 1-2 swing arms would be nice, too.

Also look into the LED tapes. I've picked some up for $5 delivered,
and they're 5M long, self-adhesive backed. Regular 30 or high-density
60 SMDs per meter. http://tinyurl.com/jwe97xt 5630 (5.6x3mm oval LED)
http://tinyurl.com/k224vvk double-wide 5050 (5mm circular)
Most of these are 120+ degree floods.

Colors:
http://www.lazer.com.au/images/sbleds/kelvin-chart.jpg

WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:19:06 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 4/27/2015 1:59 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Then "too bright" probably doesn't apply. I just ordered a few more
9w spots from China. 3 swing arms @ $19 a pop and 3 spots at $2.27 a
pop would light up your bench like daytime and provide maximum
versatility. A T5 overhead and 1-2 swing arms would be nice, too.

Also look into the LED tapes. I've picked some up for $5 delivered,
and they're 5M long, self-adhesive backed. Regular 30 or high-density
60 SMDs per meter. http://tinyurl.com/jwe97xt 5630 (5.6x3mm oval LED)
http://tinyurl.com/k224vvk double-wide 5050 (5mm circular)
Most of these are 120+ degree floods.

Colors:
http://www.lazer.com.au/images/sbleds/kelvin-chart.jpg

WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?

Those "tapes" are what Im installing in my sailboat.

5050 cool whites. Very easy to install..hell you can double stick
tape em up..though Im putting mine in 1 meter metal shells on the
walls and running them through a dimmer module. Ill be installing
about 12 FEET of them, the dimmer, all the shells and connectors and
the cost is about $14 on Ebay.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/27/2015 1:59 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Then "too bright" probably doesn't apply. I just ordered a few more
9w spots from China. 3 swing arms @ $19 a pop and 3 spots at $2.27 a
pop would light up your bench like daytime and provide maximum
versatility. A T5 overhead and 1-2 swing arms would be nice, too.

Also look into the LED tapes. I've picked some up for $5 delivered,
and they're 5M long, self-adhesive backed. Regular 30 or high-density
60 SMDs per meter. http://tinyurl.com/jwe97xt 5630 (5.6x3mm oval LED)
http://tinyurl.com/k224vvk double-wide 5050 (5mm circular)
Most of these are 120+ degree floods.

Colors:
http://www.lazer.com.au/images/sbleds/kelvin-chart.jpg

WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?

Well, you look at the picture and choose what kind of light you like.
Oh, you meant the LED strips. Of course. You must have missed
the discussion Gunner and I had about lighting his sailbewt cabins.

I (will) have used them two ways. They can be mounted under a shelf
above your desk for direct lighting, or they can be hidden behind a
lowered cove moulding for indirect lighting. I got a dimmer for mine
and will use it over the kitchen cabinets for indirect kitchen
lighting. http://tinyurl.com/mdsyl9g The range seems extremely
limited, but for a buck...

Just this morning, I found that they can come with PSA (velcro)
instead of double-sided adhesive tape on the back. That may only be
available from an expensive US mfgr, though.

See google images for "led strip lighting" Some new mfgrs are now
using strips in walls for exotic lighting. Can't find a ref for you on
that one.

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:19:06 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:
snip
WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?

snip
http://tinyurl.com/m8d43q2
http://tinyurl.com/kk52tr7

Also as hydroponic grow light. I just fabricated a 8 strip
28" X 38" light panel.

how to install
http://tinyurl.com/n8jku55
http://tinyurl.com/ndn9lf6

some sources
http://tinyurl.com/p5uvp4m
http://tinyurl.com/p92dk27

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-29, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:19:06 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

[ ... ]

WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?

Those "tapes" are what Im installing in my sailboat.

5050 cool whites. Very easy to install..hell you can double stick
tape em up..though Im putting mine in 1 meter metal shells on the
walls and running them through a dimmer module. Ill be installing
about 12 FEET of them, the dimmer, all the shells and connectors and
the cost is about $14 on Ebay.

I picked up a roll of them (on an 8mm movie reel, from the looks
of it) which had at least 25 feet of the tape. Runs from 12 VDC, and
every few LEDs there is a point where it can be cut loose and new input
wires connected.

I think that these are used, among other things, for decorating
"street rods". :-)

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:21:54 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:19:06 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:
snip
WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?

snip
http://tinyurl.com/m8d43q2
http://tinyurl.com/kk52tr7

Also as hydroponic grow light. I just fabricated a 8 strip
28" X 38" light panel.

how to install
http://tinyurl.com/n8jku55
http://tinyurl.com/ndn9lf6

some sources
http://tinyurl.com/p5uvp4m
http://tinyurl.com/p92dk27

I think he'll certainly want to avoid the RGB strips unless he's
making a disco. RGB doesn't produce a decent white light. I always
opt for pure white (6500K) but the natural (4000K) is fairly nice.
None of that incan urine yellow.

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/29/2015 11:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I think he'll certainly want to avoid the RGB strips unless he's
making a disco. RGB doesn't produce a decent white light. I always
opt for pure white (6500K) but the natural (4000K) is fairly nice.
None of that incan urine yellow.

--

What are the RGB for? I can't imagine a huge market. I did spend some
time looking at the offerings on ebay and have some great

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-24, Tom Gardner wrote:
I can't stand working in my office/man-cave because the lighting is so
crappy. I'm squinting like a 12 year old with a Playboy! I have one
eyeball type in the ceiling on the far left with a 100w equivalent, a
low-watt pendant in the far right corner and a lighted magnifier an a
articulated arm in the center rear of a 10' x 4' desk. I'm really
thinking of a 4-bulb 8' florescent above the desk. Any better solutions?

I installed one strip of High Output T5 lights in my basement and the
difference was dramatic. Go to Home Depot and buy a fixture for High
Output T5's and matching bulbs.

Yep, the HO's are amazing! I just might do that but I'm intrigued by
these LED strips.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/29/2015 11:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I think he'll certainly want to avoid the RGB strips unless he's
making a disco. RGB doesn't produce a decent white light. I always
opt for pure white (6500K) but the natural (4000K) is fairly nice.
None of that incan urine yellow.

--

What are the RGB for? I can't imagine a huge market. I did spend some
time looking at the offerings on ebay and have some great
ideas...THANKS! But only for the white. Maybe the colors in the courtyard.

RGB are normally used to build displays. Like the LED signs and such.
Lay them out based on the pattern you need to control them with a
programmable controller.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:07:26 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 4/29/2015 11:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I think he'll certainly want to avoid the RGB strips unless he's
making a disco. RGB doesn't produce a decent white light. I always
opt for pure white (6500K) but the natural (4000K) is fairly nice.
None of that incan urine yellow.

--

What are the RGB for? I can't imagine a huge market. I did spend some
time looking at the offerings on ebay and have some great
ideas...THANKS! But only for the white. Maybe the colors in the courtyard.

Some women like colors for "mood". I never understood that much.

The newer 4-color strips are good for them if needed. They have a
separate white LED set, so chip sequence is R, G, B, W.

--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-30, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/29/2015 11:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I think he'll certainly want to avoid the RGB strips unless he's
making a disco. RGB doesn't produce a decent white light. I always
opt for pure white (6500K) but the natural (4000K) is fairly nice.
None of that incan urine yellow.

[ ... ]

What are the RGB for? I can't imagine a huge market. I did spend some
time looking at the offerings on ebay and have some great
ideas...THANKS! But only for the white. Maybe the colors in the courtyard.

Hmm ... assuming that there are separate wires to energize each
color in each location, a lot of these on the side of a building could
be made into a big TV display screen.

If wire 'A' turns on *all* reds, wire 'B' turns on all greens,
and wire 'C' turns on all Blues, then the disco idea mentioned above
seems to make more sense.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 11:22:00 AM UTC-4, F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:19:06 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:
snip
WOW! Never knew these existed. Is there any ideas on how they are used?

snip
http://tinyurl.com/m8d43q2
http://tinyurl.com/kk52tr7

Also as hydroponic grow light. I just fabricated a 8 strip
28" X 38" light panel.

Apparently, various signals and heat given off by hydroponic grow lighting can attract police helicopters, too.

-- www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbBu8nkjRk