Old April 22nd 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 23:18:02 +0000, Jman
wrote:

I need a steel rod/s. precision ground, polished, turned, heat
treated whatever is most effective. 3/8" OD and a length of 4'. I
need to know what kind of steel

Well, I can't help thinking that what the OP really needs here is very
high carbon steel - so high carbon it's not got any iron and is not, in
fact, steel, but rather, carbon fiber, which is quite stiff, as
materials we actually have available go.

And/or a much larger diameter rod, which may require a better design of
whatever this is - certainly if going to 10 feet I don't think there's
*any* 3/8" rod that will even resemble "stiff" unless there's also a
robust frame and the rod can be put under great tension.

Old April 22nd 15, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:01:32 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Aristatos/Jman" wrote
in message
roups.com...
replying to Ed Huntress , Aristatos/Jman wrote:
huntres23 wrote:

Thanks again everyone, the answers are all really appreciated, and I
think
I understand, but just in case;

If I understand what has been said it does not matter if it is 1144
Stressproof or 4140, it is going to sag under its own weight if it
is 3/8"
X 4'. The treatment to the steel or the carbon percentage is only
going
to affect how far it can bend or twist while still being able to
return
to its original shape or before it will snap. Am I correct in my
thinking
on this? I haven't checked out all of the links that were provided,
but I
guess I could find a formula to see how much the sag will be at the
center?

Would it be the same with a chromium vanadium steel alloy, or
something
like that?

Thanks again everyone

You can buy a 24" length of hardened steel as a "bell hanger" drill
bit to experiment with and confirm that you are applying the formulas
correctly.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-3-...1780/203314945

-jsw

Those bits also have a convenient hole from which to hang your test weights. But, are they really hardened for their full length? Most drill bits are not hard at the chuck end, so that the chuck jaws can get some bite.
Old April 22nd 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

huntres23 wrote:

[...]

A file will show the difference.

-jsw

Old December 2nd 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awesome clarification. Thank you.

stretch an aerial Gary[_11_] UK diy 1 May 1st 12 05:45 PM
Wire Flex or Aluminum Flex for Heater Duct Tube Audio Home Repair 0 May 28th 08 06:19 PM
Running out of paint, any way to stretch it? Jason Home Repair 6 June 17th 06 05:34 AM
Das Lathe Bench - In The Home Stretch charlie b Woodworking 0 March 10th 06 04:51 PM
short runs of flex hose vs hvac aluminum flex vs pvc pipe for DC ductwork [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 15th 04 04:43 AM