Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Ive been doing the past several weeks

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/PFRoller#

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:21:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/PFRoller#

Big shop. What all have you been doing there? I know you haven't
been hobbing 3' gears. Hmm, looks like pressing gears together.

Why were you drilling a bearing race? (as if) Do you have to shim
those large tr bearing races to get the proper clearance?

Were you rebuilding that massive transmichigan? Or is that more of a
3:1 (or something) gear reduction unit? Jeeze, you get to work on
the beeg stuff!

You had to hog out the case for larger gearing? So that's the niche
for the magnetic drill press, is it?

Is that your nice transit? Leveling conveyor in/out-feeds?

Saaay, that's not an OSHA approved air blower on the completed unit.

It's good to be working, wot?

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/PFRoller#

Big shop. What all have you been doing there? I know you haven't
been hobbing 3' gears. Hmm, looks like pressing gears together.

Nope..we sent the gears off to be hobbed, but built most everything
else.

Why were you drilling a bearing race? (as if) Do you have to shim
those large tr bearing races to get the proper clearance?

That was not a drill..its a 1800 F heat gun. That race was small
enough to heat it up to get it on the shaft. The 2 propane tanks and
the weed burners are for the bigger stuff. That big gear required over
over half a tank (x2) of propane and about an hour and a half to get
it hot enough to expand it .015 bigger than the shaft it had to be
shrunk onto.

Were you rebuilding that massive transmichigan? Or is that more of a
3:1 (or something) gear reduction unit? Jeeze, you get to work on
the beeg stuff!

That was built from scratch. Started off as a 5 tons of 4140, 2"
thick and then cut and welded together. The gears were the same..cut
from plate steel. Including the big gear.

The running ratio is 100:1

You will notice in the last couple photos he is turning the entire
transmission with a 15" crescent wrench one handed. No adjustable
bearing positions in there. Everything was very carefully calculated
by a German..then corrected by the boss before metal was cut so it all
went together as is. Only adjustment was on the output shafts...double
Timkin roller bearings need adjustable pre load. Lots of corrections
by the boss..the German isn't as good as he thinks he is....

You had to hog out the case for larger gearing? So that's the niche
for the magnetic drill press, is it?

Ayup..the guy who designed it had an Ooops moment and I had no other
option than to drill pilots and then hog as much steel out as I could
with a 5/8" drill, then finish it up with a 4" welding grinder. I
suggested simply cutting it out with a torch and then cleaning it up
with a grinder..but the boss blanched white as a sheet and said NO!!

Shrug...would have been the fastest and wouldn't have harmed a
thing..but he is the boss...shrug again.

The magnetic drill is for things that need holes in them..but are too
big to put in the drill press or too simple to put in the horizontal
mills. You did notice the middle section of the case on the
Cincinnati drill press..correct? That's what we drilled the holes
for the 1.5" screw eyes and then ran the tap with it. Had to load it
with the 5000 lb forklift. The arm on the radial arm drill press in
the shop is 10' long. A while back I did a 10' diameter gear that
needed the center bolted in. Took (20) 1" bolts on a similar radial
arm drill in another shop.

Is that your nice transit? Leveling conveyor in/out-feeds?

Not mine..boss mans. He has a bunch of them. He used to be one of GEs
traveling techs..lining up power plant turbines etc etc. He is a
very..very smart man. Reminds me a hell of a lot of Fitch..if you
recall him.

Yah..we had to tear the sucker down and then rebuild it with no more
than .003 side to side and .01 end to end. The guys who put it
together are used to using sledge hammers as a primary tool. Cringe.

They are going to be installing the transmission Monday. We are not
going to be there to watch..thankfully.

Saaay, that's not an OSHA approved air blower on the completed unit.

Of course not. The approved ones suck badly..with loud slurping
noises. I use what works.

It's good to be working, wot?

Ayup. It was 3 weeks of (4) 10 hour days. Paid well. Now its over and
Im gonna have to scramble to find something else.

Put a couple dollars in the bank and got my bills caught up..for the
moment.

Learned a lot too. My lathe work is better and Ive learned to run a
horizontal mill..somewhat...tiny bit. Those are probably the most
versatile machine in any machine shop..if you have the real estate to
park one. Jim has (3), plus the 2 VTLs and all the lathes and
Bridgeports and.....

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/PFRoller#

Big shop. What all have you been doing there? I know you haven't
been hobbing 3' gears. Hmm, looks like pressing gears together.

Nope..we sent the gears off to be hobbed, but built most everything
else.

Why were you drilling a bearing race? (as if) Do you have to shim
those large tr bearing races to get the proper clearance?

That was not a drill..its a 1800 F heat gun. That race was small
enough to heat it up to get it on the shaft. The 2 propane tanks and
the weed burners are for the bigger stuff. That big gear required over
over half a tank (x2) of propane and about an hour and a half to get
it hot enough to expand it .015 bigger than the shaft it had to be
shrunk onto.

I thought the chuck looked weird. g

Were you rebuilding that massive transmichigan? Or is that more of a
3:1 (or something) gear reduction unit? Jeeze, you get to work on
the beeg stuff!

That was built from scratch. Started off as a 5 tons of 4140, 2"
thick and then cut and welded together. The gears were the same..cut
from plate steel. Including the big gear.

Big mother.

The running ratio is 100:1

How so?

You will notice in the last couple photos he is turning the entire
transmission with a 15" crescent wrench one handed. No adjustable
bearing positions in there. Everything was very carefully calculated
by a German..then corrected by the boss before metal was cut so it all
went together as is. Only adjustment was on the output shafts...double
Timkin roller bearings need adjustable pre load. Lots of corrections
by the boss..the German isn't as good as he thinks he is....

So it seems.

You had to hog out the case for larger gearing? So that's the niche
for the magnetic drill press, is it?

Ayup..the guy who designed it had an Ooops moment and I had no other
option than to drill pilots and then hog as much steel out as I could
with a 5/8" drill, then finish it up with a 4" welding grinder. I
suggested simply cutting it out with a torch and then cleaning it up
with a grinder..but the boss blanched white as a sheet and said NO!!

Shrug...would have been the fastest and wouldn't have harmed a
thing..but he is the boss...shrug again.

You might have lost the temper on the, um, untempered steel, though.
:|

The magnetic drill is for things that need holes in them..but are too
big to put in the drill press or too simple to put in the horizontal
mills. You did notice the middle section of the case on the
Cincinnati drill press..correct? That's what we drilled the holes
for the 1.5" screw eyes and then ran the tap with it. Had to load it
with the 5000 lb forklift. The arm on the radial arm drill press in
the shop is 10' long. A while back I did a 10' diameter gear that
needed the center bolted in. Took (20) 1" bolts on a similar radial
arm drill in another shop.

Yeah, that's a bigass drill press. I wondered what it was, but didn't
look really closely.

Is that your nice transit? Leveling conveyor in/out-feeds?

Not mine..boss mans. He has a bunch of them. He used to be one of GEs
traveling techs..lining up power plant turbines etc etc. He is a
very..very smart man. Reminds me a hell of a lot of Fitch..if you
recall him.

No, I don't, but I remember hearing the name around here for years.

Yah..we had to tear the sucker down and then rebuild it with no more
than .003 side to side and .01 end to end. The guys who put it
together are used to using sledge hammers as a primary tool. Cringe.

So where'd you find 20# dead blow hammers to finesse things into
place?

They are going to be installing the transmission Monday. We are not
going to be there to watch..thankfully.

Unless they call you Tuesday to come repair it. Eek!

Saaay, that's not an OSHA approved air blower on the completed unit.

Of course not. The approved ones suck badly..with loud slurping
noises. I use what works.

Absolutely. I wear my glasses and squint and/or turn away when using
air, but I seldom blow metal chips. When you need compressed air,
though, you need whatever works. I simply don't own a 30psi blower.
The tip got misplaced and a rubber cone tip went on it. Then I could
rebuild those pesky (Satanic) Holley valve bodies.

It's good to be working, wot?

Ayup. It was 3 weeks of (4) 10 hour days. Paid well. Now its over and
Im gonna have to scramble to find something else.

Put a couple dollars in the bank and got my bills caught up..for the
moment.

Good! I just paid the IRS and have nearly nothing left.

Learned a lot too. My lathe work is better and Ive learned to run a

Were you turning that big gear's shaft on the big spinny thing? (What
was it, a Lodge & Shipley?)

horizontal mill..somewhat...tiny bit. Those are probably the most
versatile machine in any machine shop..if you have the real estate to
park one. Jim has (3), plus the 2 VTLs and all the lathes and
Bridgeports and.....

I just want a mini-mill.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

100 turns of the electric motor input shaft gets (1) turn of the 2
output shafts.

[...]

Right....Grin

[...]

We did it by hand and 1/2" breaker bars. He built it properly..the
installers..****ed it up. As I said..he is a very..very smart guy.

They are going to be installing the transmission Monday. We are not
going to be there to watch..thankfully.

Unless they call you Tuesday to come repair it. Eek!

Nah..it will take them at least a week to get the oil pump and lines
connected up, the motor installed and all the other stuff.
Hummm..maybe in 2 weeks. Thats when I break out my COD invoices. If
it needs repair..someone used a sledge hammer on it. It is far too
well built to fail in less than 15 yrs without outside buggery.

[...]

Nope..that was a Critical Part..so the boss man did it. I did some of
the other stuff. Got pretty handy at setting up work on a 4 jaw
chuck.using a tenths indicator.

horizontal mill..somewhat...tiny bit. Those are probably the most
versatile machine in any machine shop..if you have the real estate to
park one. Jim has (3), plus the 2 VTLs and all the lathes and
Bridgeports and.....

I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
The running ratio is 100:1

How so?

100 turns of the electric motor input shaft gets (1) turn of the 2
output shafts.

whap No, I meant "Run me through the gear train to show me HOW it's
a 100:1, please."

Shrug...would have been the fastest and wouldn't have harmed a
thing..but he is the boss...shrug again.

You might have lost the temper on the, um, untempered steel, though.
:|

Right....Grin

If we're honest, we can probably ACK that he worried about warpage.

Yah..we had to tear the sucker down and then rebuild it with no more
than .003 side to side and .01 end to end. The guys who put it
together are used to using sledge hammers as a primary tool. Cringe.

I meant to say that I'd have built it with o-ringed screw adjusters to
work against a thick shim plate through the covers. Dismantling to
set end play seems ridiculous.

So where'd you find 20# dead blow hammers to finesse things into
place?

We did it by hand and 1/2" breaker bars. He built it properly..the
installers..****ed it up. As I said..he is a very..very smart guy.

They are going to be installing the transmission Monday. We are not
going to be there to watch..thankfully.

Unless they call you Tuesday to come repair it. Eek!

Nah..it will take them at least a week to get the oil pump and lines
connected up, the motor installed and all the other stuff.
Hummm..maybe in 2 weeks. Thats when I break out my COD invoices. If
it needs repair..someone used a sledge hammer on it. It is far too
well built to fail in less than 15 yrs without outside buggery.

That was probably an exasperating and thrilling job to perform. I
like those, too. You can sit back and say you were a part of it.

Learned a lot too. My lathe work is better and Ive learned to run a

Were you turning that big gear's shaft on the big spinny thing? (What
was it, a Lodge & Shipley?)

Nope..that was a Critical Part..so the boss man did it. I did some of
the other stuff. Got pretty handy at setting up work on a 4 jaw
chuck.using a tenths indicator.

Cool.

horizontal mill..somewhat...tiny bit. Those are probably the most
versatile machine in any machine shop..if you have the real estate to
park one. Jim has (3), plus the 2 VTLs and all the lathes and
Bridgeports and.....

I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Dood , just how small is your shop ? Or are you like my friend Bill , a
completely nutso packrat ? He has a 2 car garage size building that has so
much stuff packed in it that you have to thread your way around stuff to get
to the lathe .
I thought I was crowded , my shop space is 10 x 12 with a benchtop mill ,
lathe , welders , a table for my grinders and "stuff" counter top over
genset and MIG unit , with a rollaway toolbox over in the corner . Barely
found room for the beer fridge ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Build a shop out back.

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Dood , just how small is your shop ? Or are you like my friend Bill , a

2-car shop with automotive tools (including folding engine hoist),
woodworking tools, metalworking tools, hardwood and plywood lumber
storage, and a 5x5x5' unfinished (sigh) CNC router in the middle.
Kinda packed.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

PJ O'Rourke

I may have missed it, but did you tell us what that gear box was going
to be driving?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

They get $2,800 for a plain 40' shipping container down here.
If you send $4k, that might cover one. Box, ramp, rollup door,
lighting windows, A/C (you know how farkin' hot they get),
electricity, etc. I could move my budding metal shop into it. I
haven't had room to mount the bender, but I'm thinking about putting
in a concrete pad with some 4x4 square tubing which would work as a
base for it. I haven't needed it much yet.

I'd rather have a tall, deep, 2-car shop, though, with loft for extra
storage of all the lighter stuff. So make it $7-10k, alright?

Oh, and thanks for the offer!

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 23:19:16 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

PJ O'Rourke

I may have missed it, but did you tell us what that gear box was going
to be driving?

Jeff

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02602/PFRoller

Its a titanium rolling mill. For rolling titanium billets thinner and
thinner until they get to the proper dimensions

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 16 Apr 2015 01:49:46 -0700
wrote:

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

PJ O'Rourke

I may have missed it, but did you tell us what that gear box was going
to be driving?

Jeff

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02602/PFRoller

Its a titanium rolling mill. For rolling titanium billets thinner and
thinner until they get to the proper dimensions

Seems to me, them there billets are going to be surfaced hardened
to a fare thee well by the time you're done.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

PJ O'Rourke

I may have missed it, but did you tell us what that gear box was going
to be driving?

Jeff

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02602/PFRoller

Its a titanium rolling mill. For rolling titanium billets thinner and
thinner until they get to the proper dimensions

Seems to me, them there billets are going to be surfaced hardened
to a fare thee well by the time you're done.

They will be coming and going from the furnace and will be white hot
when they hit the roller, then back ot the furnace. The furnaces are
within 30 feet..and are the size of 3 car garages Internally.

Even have roll up doors on the front of them and are deep enough to
heat a 20'x 24" bar red hot in a surprisingly short length of time

https://plus.google.com/photos/10404...51068913804722

Blow that one up. It had come out of the furnace and had been hammered
for 5 minutes before I took the photo. Another couple minutes and it
went back into the oven.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

They get $2,800 for a plain 40' shipping container down here.

Cant talk a trucker friend to bring you one from the docks? They go
for $800-1200 at the shipping point.

My 25' cost me $800, and another $500 to bring it from Costa Mesa to
my yard..186 miles one way.

Its cost me $100 +/- to install lights and electrical and a turbine
vent up on the roof. If I wanted to work in it..$250 would get me a
brand new swamp cooler that would cool down even a 40' unit.

As you may recall..average temps here are between 97F-112F for much of
the year.

If you send $4k, that might cover one. Box, ramp, rollup door,
lighting windows, A/C (you know how farkin' hot they get),
electricity, etc. I could move my budding metal shop into it. I
haven't had room to mount the bender, but I'm thinking about putting
in a concrete pad with some 4x4 square tubing which would work as a
base for it. I haven't needed it much yet.

I'd rather have a tall, deep, 2-car shop, though, with loft for extra
storage of all the lighter stuff. So make it $7-10k, alright?

Buy 2 of those $1200 cargo containers, spend an additonal grand to
have em moved to your homestead..then set them side by side tightly.
Get out the sawzall and wack away the two common walls for whatever
distance back that you want a BIG area to be. They tend to be 9'
wide..so 2 of them will give you 18' of width. Say you took out 20' of
common wall..that would give you a playground of 18x20', with 2
additonal easy to enclose areas (2x4s and 3/8 plywood) areas of 9x20
times (2) for storage, darkroom, reloading shop, slave quarters..etc
etc.

Easy cargo container has a floor rating of 20,000 lbs (fork lift)..so
I rather suspect you could make a decent enough shop in a pair of them
to make your buddies drool.

You dont scrounge very well..do you?

Oh, and thanks for the offer!

My pleasure!!

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

They get $2,800 for a plain 40' shipping container down here.

Cant talk a trucker friend to bring you one from the docks? They go
for $800-1200 at the shipping point.

Nah, he lives near Idaho Falls, ID but works around WY, ND, SD.
He's only been here once in the past 13 years. He used to drive the
portable TV studios they use at sports venues (foosball, bassetball,
hockptui). Some cool trucks and trailers, lemme tell ya.

My 25' cost me $800, and another $500 to bring it from Costa Mesa to
my yard..186 miles one way.

Its cost me $100 +/- to install lights and electrical and a turbine
vent up on the roof. If I wanted to work in it..$250 would get me a
brand new swamp cooler that would cool down even a 40' unit.

I wouldn't want to use a swamp cooler around my tools, TYVM. It's hard
enough keeping everything rust-free with Johnson's Paste Wax.

As you may recall..average temps here are between 97F-112F for much of
the year.

Yeah, for way too much of the year.

If you send $4k, that might cover one. Box, ramp, rollup door,
lighting windows, A/C (you know how farkin' hot they get),
electricity, etc. I could move my budding metal shop into it. I
haven't had room to mount the bender, but I'm thinking about putting
in a concrete pad with some 4x4 square tubing which would work as a
base for it. I haven't needed it much yet.

I'd rather have a tall, deep, 2-car shop, though, with loft for extra
storage of all the lighter stuff. So make it $7-10k, alright?

Buy 2 of those $1200 cargo containers, spend an additonal grand to

Yes, please! (I'm only $3,400 short for that goal.)

have em moved to your homestead..then set them side by side tightly.
Get out the sawzall and wack away the two common walls for whatever
distance back that you want a BIG area to be. They tend to be 9'
wide..so 2 of them will give you 18' of width. Say you took out 20' of
common wall..that would give you a playground of 18x20', with 2
additonal easy to enclose areas (2x4s and 3/8 plywood) areas of 9x20
times (2) for storage, darkroom, reloading shop, slave quarters..etc
etc.

I'll need 3 or 4 since I don't want a low roof and did want loft
space.

Easy cargo container has a floor rating of 20,000 lbs (fork lift)..so
I rather suspect you could make a decent enough shop in a pair of them
to make your buddies drool.

You dont scrounge very well..do you?

Of course I do. I brought home a free bookcase just yesterday.
500# of sheetmetal (1/2 utility body) followed me home 5 years ago.
A free blown-engined riding mower followed me home several years ago.
A golf cart needing a $5 cable followed me home a couple years ago and
I got $950 for it. (paid last year's taxes) Oh, and I make irregular
trips to the Taft, CA area. g I'm a great scrounger, though I pale
in comparison to the Great Gunner and Illustrious Iggy.

But I have _standards_, sir. A box instead of a real shop? Hah!

Oh, and thanks for the offer!

My pleasure!!

Great! When should I expect delivery? I'll clear a space.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:47:09 -0700

wrote:

[...]

Oh, "cool" - I worked in a found which had those sorts of setups.
Nice in January - glad I was not there in August.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:48:54 -0700

Buy 2 of those $1200 cargo containers, spend an additonal grand to
have em moved to your homestead..then set them side by side tightly.
Get out the sawzall and wack away the two common walls for whatever
distance back that you want a BIG area to be. They tend to be 9'
wide..so 2 of them will give you 18' of width. Say you took out 20' of
common wall..that would give you a playground of 18x20', with 2
additonal easy to enclose areas (2x4s and 3/8 plywood) areas of 9x20
times (2) for storage, darkroom, reloading shop, slave quarters..etc
etc.

Easy cargo container has a floor rating of 20,000 lbs (fork lift)..so
I rather suspect you could make a decent enough shop in a pair of them
to make your buddies drool.

You dont scrounge very well..do you?

No, I don't. OTOH, I doubt the City of Arlington would over look
my attempt to create an "InstaShop" in town.
More critically, She wouldn't let me. B-( Win some, lose some,
some are rained out.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:50:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

What..you were slow enough to setting INSIDE city limits??

More critically, She wouldn't let me. B-( Win some, lose some,
some are rained out.

Dude...you picked the wrong ol lady!!

(Grin)

--
pyotr filipivich

PJ O'Rourke

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:51:50 -0700

You dont scrounge very well..do you?

No, I don't. OTOH, I doubt the City of Arlington would over look
my attempt to create an "InstaShop" in town.

What..you were slow enough to setting INSIDE city limits??

Nope. But there were three criterion when she moved - bus
service, sidewalks, and close to church. I'm 0 for 3, and I've wanted
out of here for a while.

More critically, She wouldn't let me. B-( Win some, lose some,
some are rained out.

Dude...you picked the wrong ol lady!!

"When a man loves a woman,
Can't keep his mind on nothing else,
He'd change the world for the good thing he's found.
If she is bad, he can't see it,
She can do no wrong,
Turn his back on his best friend if he put her down."

(Grin)

Yeah,
--
pyotr filipivich

This is what Ive been doing the last few weeks Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 18 December 28th 14 11:40 AM
This is what I will be doing in the next 3 weeks Ignoramus11791 Metalworking 0 December 25th 14 12:45 PM
This weeks bollockings for you know who:-) ARWadsworth UK diy 48 June 14th 12 12:53 AM
This weeks Top Tip ARWadworth UK diy 12 April 16th 08 11:42 PM
How Would YOU LIKE To Become A MILLIONAIRE IN Just A Few WEEKS?? !!!* :-) [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 24th 07 02:55 AM