DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Coloring PVC pipe? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/377773-re-coloring-pvc-pipe.html)

hatrack March 16th 15 07:18 PM

Coloring PVC pipe?

replying to Bill Marrs, hatrack wrote:
billmarrs wrote:

A little follow-up on my original post. Tried a number of locally
available dyes and solvents,
an here is what I found.
Rit dye powder works . Rit Dye liquid does not.
Acetone works as a carrier, but MEK works a lot better. Mixed a little
scarlet Rit with some
MEK. Dipped in a piece of the PVC pipe. Contact time of just a few

seconds.
Let it air dry and the color seems plenty permanent. Could not remove the
color with a MEK or Acetone soaked rag.
Bill

How did you get the RIT powder into the MEK? I've dumped powder directly
into some MEK and it doesn't want to dissolve.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ipe-12696-.htm