DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/377638-adjusting-lathe-chuck-jaws-faster-my-atlas-lathe.html)

[email protected] February 13th 15 02:08 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Here are a few simple, quick-to-implement ways to adjust lathe jaws faster:
http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Mov...JawsFaster.htm

Probably not new to a lot of you, but new to me.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 13th 15 02:54 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

fired this volley in news:908c1eda-3f15-45b4-
:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Mov...JawsFaster.htm

Probably not new to a lot of you, but new to me.

I'm sorry, Pete, but I don't see anything there that a serious machinist
or serious amateur machinist would think was reasonable.

With the standard 'tee-handle' chuck wrench on the (Yes, an Atlas) chuck,
if you use the 'Portnoy's Complaint Method' (three fingers spinning the
wrench), you can move it just as fast as any of those except the dumb
idea of driving it with a power drill!

I mean, why? The only time you really need FAST chucking and de-chucking
is when you're doing production cut-off work. Then you need a QA chuck,
not a scroll chuck!

Lloyd

Martin Eastburn February 13th 15 04:46 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

fired this volley in news:908c1eda-3f15-45b4-
:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Mov...JawsFaster.htm

Probably not new to a lot of you, but new to me.

I'm sorry, Pete, but I don't see anything there that a serious machinist
or serious amateur machinist would think was reasonable.

With the standard 'tee-handle' chuck wrench on the (Yes, an Atlas) chuck,
if you use the 'Portnoy's Complaint Method' (three fingers spinning the
wrench), you can move it just as fast as any of those except the dumb
idea of driving it with a power drill!

I mean, why? The only time you really need FAST chucking and de-chucking
is when you're doing production cut-off work. Then you need a QA chuck,
not a scroll chuck!

Lloyd

And using a drill on a 4 jaw as well. Maybe the 4 jaw is a hobby grade
version - and acts as a 3. 4 jaws should have all 4 independent
allowing offsetting and very good centering.

I have a Sheldon 11-44 with 3 and 4 jaw chucks. A wood lathe with 3, 4
and another special 4 jaw.

Martin

John B. slocomb February 13th 15 11:46 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:08:54 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Here are a few simple, quick-to-implement ways to adjust lathe jaws faster:
http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Mov...JawsFaster.htm

Probably not new to a lot of you, but new to me.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

The question arises, how much does one adjust chuck jaws? I don't
believe it is a significant portion of the machining time. and for a
four jawed chuck, as the guy shows using a power drive, my experience
has been that the majority of the time was spent getting rid of the
last few thousands of runout.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 13th 15 12:09 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

John B. Slocomb fired this volley in
:

and for a
four jawed chuck, as the guy shows using a power drive,

One gets the impression that the particular machinist in that article had
nothing worthwhile to offer the community, so he documented an abusive
technique he never really thought out.

He probably _doesn't_ "get rid of the last few thousandths of runout", so
it never occurred to him that his is a bad way to 'adjust' a 4-jaw chuck
(or any chuck, for that matter).

I seldom do rapid repeated cutoff work, but I was gifted a nice 3"
precision 6-jaw Quick-acting chuck, so when I do such work, it's both
fast and pretty accurate.

Kind of a funny story, that. I built a precision crimper for 5/32" o.d.
brass tubing for a client for fixing electric igniters into short lengths
of that tubing. He was using the assemblies as movie stage 'ammunition'
for prop guns in a country where real firearms are prohibited even as
movie props.

The chuck became the 'crimper' part, as it would very precisely neck the
tubing down with a pretty six-point 'star crimp'. We didn't even have to
modify it.. just mounted it in a hollow-framed stand, and clamped a pull
handle to the closing ring.

The idea fell through with the movie studios. He later dropped off the
beautiful chuck-in-stand with "You want this boat-anchor?" "Well...
sure, thanks. I might find SOME use for it." G

Lloyd

[email protected] February 13th 15 02:26 PM

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 7:09:25 AM UTC-5, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
John B. Slocomb fired this volley in
:

and for a
four jawed chuck, as the guy shows using a power drive,

One gets the impression that the particular machinist in that
article had nothing worthwhile to offer the community, so he documented an abusive
technique he never really thought out.

Yeah, I guess everyone wants to portray journalists who collect information for reporting in trade manuals like this and others as somehow either too detached, crazy, ignorant, corrupt or biased or even worse.

But notice how difficult it would be to be crazy AND corrupt AND biased AND all of that that everyone says and even worse than all that all at the same time? That's how you know that the journalist is neither one of them. So you should believe the report.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 13th 15 02:43 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

fired this volley in
:

But notice how difficult it would be to be crazy AND corrupt AND
biased AND all of that that everyone says and even worse than all that
all at the same time? That's how you know that the journalist is
neither one of them. So you should believe the report.

OOOkkkayy! It scares me that I CAN follow that logic. But I think I'd
rather not! G

Lloyd

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 13th 15 03:00 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

. 4.170...
fired this volley in
:

But notice how difficult it would be to be crazy AND corrupt AND
biased AND all of that that everyone says and even worse than all
that
all at the same time? That's how you know that the journalist is
neither one of them. So you should believe the report.

OOOkkkayy! It scares me that I CAN follow that logic. But I think
I'd
rather not! G

Lloyd

Now consider that someone so thoroughly befuddled might be wiring up
your electrical service.

[email protected] February 13th 15 03:34 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Well, guys, I feel thoroughly beat up now. But I really don't understand all the vitriolic comments.
Maybe I failed to explain WHY I offered these ideas:
The main reason for even considering the speed handle and drill ideas is when reversing chuck jaws or when going from a really small chuck opening to a really large chuck opening, particularly with the 4 jaw chuck.
Just go out to your shop and time yourself for reversing the jaws on a 8" 4 jaw chuck using the tee handle, then try it with the speed handle.

I have been "spinning the tee handle" for a long time and I am here to tell you that you shouldn't knock the speed handle until you try it.

The drill and speed handle thoughts were never meant to deal with making fine adjustments.
But the two little sockets/square stock tools are up to the job.

I probably wouldn't use the drill method myself, but I added it simply because I had seen it somewhere.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 13th 15 03:45 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

fired this volley in news:f317eede-cc92-4360-
:

But I really don't understand all the vitriolic comments.

No vitriol! Most of the folks here (except a few crazies in the bozo-
bin) don't hate or even despise someone who throws out a bad idea.

But they are entitled to their opinions of how bad an idea it is, and
even to speculate about the motivations for offering it.

I, personally, would NEVER suggest that you don't continue to do it, even
though I will not.

shrug

LLoyd

James Waldby[_3_] February 13th 15 03:46 PM

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:08:54 -0800, spaco wrote:

Here are a few simple, quick-to-implement ways to adjust lathe jaws faster:
http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/Mov...JawsFaster.htm

A couple of typos ... s.b. square in 'sqaure piece of stock' and
s.b. 3/8 in 'a 2 inch length of 3/9" square stock'

--
jiw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 13th 15 03:57 PM

wrote in message
[...]

Maybe you need to clean your chuck. Mine spin easily with one finger
on the tee.
-jsw

Bob Engelhardt February 13th 15 04:09 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

One gets the impression that the particular machinist in that article had
nothing worthwhile to offer the community, so he documented an abusive
technique he never really thought out.

Jeez, Lloyd, that's not very charitable, or helpful. This is REC.C.M, &
most of us are amateurs & often have amateurish ideas. Give him a
break. Bob

Ed Huntress February 13th 15 04:27 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:57:27 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I admit that I have used a speed handle on my big 4-jaw for 30 years.

My chuck is clean, but it is 70 years old. It would just hold the
8-in. brake disks from my 1978 Ford Fiesta. Crank, crank....

--
Ed Huntress

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 13th 15 04:48 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Jeez, Lloyd, that's not very charitable, or helpful. This is REC.C.M,

&
most of us are amateurs & often have amateurish ideas. Give him a
break. Bob

I did; I hold no rancor toward the fellow. It's just a bad idea. If the
occasional prod from a professional machinist hadn't set me straight on a
few things, I'd still be doing things that could damage my workpieces or
my equipment.

He's welcome to continue it, and I'm not being uncharitable by saying it
is not worthwhile -or even damaging- to do. He did, after all, offer it
up as an 'article' giving advice; bad advice. Some other 'amateur' might
follow it, and fooey-up a light-duty chuck, thinking he might save eleven
seconds of a two-hour machining job.

LLoyd

[email protected] February 13th 15 05:26 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Okay, guys. I hopefully fixed the typos and re arranged the whole page so it would, hopefully, make more sense.

Maybe y'all would rather that I went to OT stuff? That seems real popular here.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 13th 15 05:36 PM

wrote in message
Okay, guys. I hopefully fixed the typos and re arranged the whole
page so it would, hopefully, make more sense.

Maybe y'all would rather that I went to OT stuff? That seems real
popular here.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Like Ed's chuck there's a lot of 70ish and cranky around here.

What do you know about Roman blacksmithing?

-jsw

[email protected] February 13th 15 08:16 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Okay, guys. I hopefully fixed the typos and re arranged the whole page so it would, hopefully, make more sense.

Maybe y'all would rather that I went to OT stuff? That seems real popular here.

What's causing such a deluge of off-topic stuff, though? Like politics. Politics has always swamped most non-related newsgroups as long as email has been around.

Maybe its because newsgroup participants hate most of what they see and hear in society to such a great extent that they simply can't hold back. But what is the underlying cause?

Answering with responses won't do, like: "they're too many blacks" or "they're too many illegals" or "I wish that French or Spanish wasn't there" or "they're too many homosexuals" or "they're too many liberals" or "they're too many atheists"

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 13th 15 09:55 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

fired this volley in
:

Answering with responses won't do, like: "they're too many blacks" or
"they're too many illegals" or "I wish that French or Spanish wasn't
there" or "they're too many homosexuals" or "they're too many
liberals" or "they're too many atheists"

But, but... what if those really were the REASONS for peoples' unrest?

What if folks are unhappy because they can't be totally surrounded by
like-thinking people?

(It might not be moral, but it's a 'real' reason.)

LLoyd

[email protected] February 13th 15 10:23 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

"What do you know about Roman blacksmithing? "

Not a lot. Except that they sure did a lot of it. I do know that they were producing wrought iron all over the parts of the world that they had conquered. I suppose that ran right up to about 450AD.
Producing wrought iron is a lot of work. We make a couple of runs at it each year around here. The reason I say this, is that they wouldn't have gone to all that trouble if they weren't going to make a lot of stuff out of it.
The trouble for archeologists is that the iron items don't often survive because of rust.

Can you be more specific with your question? I know several guys who can supply lot more detail. I do a fair amount of "traditional" blacksmithing. That means, to me, that I mostly make stuff that people would have used around 1870 and before. Many of those items wouldn't have changed a lot from what a Roman blacksmith would have been asked to produce.

When making wrought iron the way they did it, they often got chunks of higher carbon steel here and there in the bloom. Sometimes (all too often) the whole bloom would be of a higher carbon content than needed. These pieces would be saved for edging tools that needed it.

We did a couple of 10 day 24X7 smelts back in about 1992 and 1995 or so where we did our best to replicate smelters of the 150 BC period, attempting to produce wrought iron FOR the blacksmiths of that period. We learned a lot and got very dirty sifting 8 tons of charcoal for the furnace. I'll bet the Romans did too. OT???

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 13th 15 11:55 PM

wrote in message

"What do you know about Roman blacksmithing? "
Can you be more specific with your question? I know several guys who
can supply lot more detail. I do a fair amount of "traditional"
blacksmithing. That means, to me, that I mostly make stuff that people
would have used around 1870 and before. Many of those items wouldn't
have changed a lot from what a Roman blacksmith would have been asked
to produce.
Pete Stanaitis
---------------
==================

Specifically, files and hacksaw blades, also how old the leg vise
design is.

These are Viking:
http://netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/ImageLib.html

Can you tell that these are from the 3rd or 4th century BC?
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~dispater/celtictools.htm

-jsw

[email protected] February 14th 15 12:16 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:23:52 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Several years ago I watched a show about the unearthing of metal Roman
artifacts in England. They had many examples of weapons that had
bronze handles and iron alloy blades. An "excellent" sample was shown
and almost all of the iron had rusted away, just a thin delicate iron
oxide blade was left. Most of the stuff dug up, when in the ground
still, would be a bronze handle with a blade made up of rust colored
earth with no solid iron left.
Eric

John B. slocomb February 14th 15 12:49 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 07:34:50 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

I think that the point was "why bother?" Unless, of course, one
reverses chuck jaws very frequently. Every five minutes? Once an hour?
Once a day? Once a week? Last year sometime?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Martin Eastburn February 14th 15 05:20 AM

wrote:

[...]

We are coming :-) - that is there is a machine and software that takes
pictures and converts them into objects.

Slices are what are used in 3-D printers - print a slice at a time.

Simply get the scraper to take level down, photo it many times,
scrape and replete.

Then into the software all of the pictures and it makes a 3-D model in
CAD - allowing a Plastic or Metal or ... material to reproduce the real
thing for a show. Painting and texture makes it look real.

Martin

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 14th 15 01:03 PM

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

We are coming :-) - that is there is a machine and software that
takes pictures and converts them into objects.

Slices are what are used in 3-D printers - print a slice at a time.

Simply get the scraper to take level down, photo it many times,
scrape and replete.

Then into the software all of the pictures and it makes a 3-D model
in CAD - allowing a Plastic or Metal or ... material to reproduce
the real thing for a show. Painting and texture makes it look real.

Martin

http://www.livescience.com/17222-str...reated-ct.html

I first heard of this being used to make durable replicas of fragile
fossil bone fragments.
http://www.sciencenewsdaily.org/arch...ster470646366/

-jsw

[email protected] February 14th 15 02:13 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Jim- On the topic of history of the old tools you asked about, here's what I have so far (from a fellow blacksmith who is just starting to write a book:
"I just started my research on a book on the history of Blacksmithing. I have some information but take it with a grain of salt. It is just from the beginning of the search.

Bronze rasps have been found in Egyptian tombs from about 1200BC. Iron rasps in Mesopotamia for around 700 BC. Hardened metal files date back to the Middle Ages around the 12th century AD.

There is a hacksaw in the Viking Mastermyr tool chest found in Sweden. That chest is generally believed to date to the late Viking/early medieval period ( around 1000 AD).

As to the leg vice, I do not have much detail yet. However, there is a clear depiction of them in Denis Diderot's Encyclopedie published in France between 1750-1770."

If I do get any more info, I will start a new topic.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 14th 15 02:54 PM

wrote in message
[...]

I ask because I've read that hand tools changed very little from
ancient times to the Industrial Revolution, but the article gave no
evidence. My oldest useful books are by Theophilus (~1100),
Biringuccio and Agricola (1500's).

http://www.tms.org/pubs/Books/PDFs/0.../09-1002-0.pdf
"The period from the disintegration of Rome to the sixteenth century
is ,
singularly lacking in specific metallurgical information, for there
was little
connection between the worlds of those who wrote and those who worked
in
metals."

Ancient authors Vitruvius and Heron of Alexandria presented the
sophisticated results they could achieve but not the tools or methods.

-jsw

Ned Simmons February 14th 15 04:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

I'll endorse the speed handle as I do exactly that when reversing the
jaws on the 18" 4-jaw on my big lathe. Not sure I'd bother for the 6"
chuck on the little lathe, even if I had a speed handle to match the
socket in the adjusting screws.

And I'll confess to using an air ratchet when it comes to removing and
replacing the 12 socket heads in order to reverse the top jaws on the
6-jaw chuck.

--
Ned Simmons

Gunner Asch[_6_] February 15th 15 02:43 AM

wrote:

[...]

They used a ****load of wrought iron in making weapons..particularly
the pilum. VERY effective at its task.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilum

PJ O'Rourke

Martin Eastburn February 15th 15 03:46 AM

On 2/14/2015 7:03 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

We are coming :-) - that is there is a machine and software that
takes pictures and converts them into objects.

Slices are what are used in 3-D printers - print a slice at a time.

Simply get the scraper to take level down, photo it many times,
scrape and replete.

Then into the software all of the pictures and it makes a 3-D model
in CAD - allowing a Plastic or Metal or ... material to reproduce
the real thing for a show. Painting and texture makes it look real.

Martin

http://www.livescience.com/17222-str...reated-ct.html

I first heard of this being used to make durable replicas of fragile
fossil bone fragments.
http://www.sciencenewsdaily.org/arch...ster470646366/

-jsw

I have a 3-D , still trying to get it really working. mostly works.

There are 3-D's that make body organs !!! and all sorts of things.
Whole bumper system - for verification and bolting on...

List goes on and on.

The neat one is making candy and icing. 65K colors and the fancy food line.

Martin

Martin Eastburn February 15th 15 04:06 AM

On 2/14/2015 8:13 AM, wrote:
[...]

Georgius Agricola De Re Metallica - re-printed and translated - was on
WWW.kessinger.net - might still be - I think Amazon took over printing
of his data - I believe the owner passed. Anyway - good book.

This was first printed in 1520. It has some really interesting
information. Documented earlier date for iron and so on. Methods,
pictures (wood cuts) and is 8x10x 1.5" (approx) in size.

isbn 0766131971

Martin

DoN. Nichols[_2_] February 15th 15 04:16 AM

On 2015-02-13, wrote:

Okay, guys. I hopefully fixed the typos and re arranged the whole
page so it would, hopefully, make more sense.

Maybe y'all would rather that I went to OT stuff? That seems real popular here.

Not for me. On-Topic postings are welcome -- even if they
prompt discussion as to their advisability. (And even that improves the
on-topic to off-topic ratio. :-)

However -- for reversing the jaws on my 6-1/4" 3-jaw there is no
need to run them out and back in -- I use two-part jaws so I can use
soft jaws at need.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 15 01:42 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 22:06:13 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On 2/14/2015 8:13 AM, wrote:
[...]

Showing only Amazon sales on that page.

This was first printed in 1520. It has some really interesting
information. Documented earlier date for iron and so on. Methods,
pictures (wood cuts) and is 8x10x 1.5" (approx) in size.

isbn 0766131971

download PDF he https://archive.org/details/deremetallica50agri
I grabbed a Kindle format of it.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 15th 15 01:43 PM

[...]

List goes on and on.

The neat one is making candy and icing. 65K colors and the fancy
food line.

Martin

Segway was an early user of 3-D printing for prototype parts. My
initial dislike of it came from reworking and patching the brittle
plastic with epoxy, until they got an ABS machine that could make
durable structural components including hinges.

The plastic ink for the mid-80's Howtek ink jet printer that triggered
3-D was quite brittle when printed, though strong when
injection-molded.

In addition to precisely placing dots of ink we could put a jet in
continuous squirtgun mode with a Purge cycle. No one was a skilled
enough artist or sculptor to take good advantage of this, they only
used it for blotchy freehand tee shirts. The corporate (gun) culture
wasn't right for me to mentioned or try to imitate Jackson Pollock.

-jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 15th 15 02:35 PM

wrote:

On 2/14/2015 8:13 AM, wrote:
[...]

It's a good book, but it covers metal as an industry rather than a
skilled trade. Biringuccio and Theophilus describe one-man operations
better. None of them cover blacksmithing very well.

These describe their books. You may be able to download free copies. I
can't reasonably confirm them with dialup. I have hard copies from
Lindsay.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirotechnica-V.../dp/B0041HIROY
"This doesn't cover the whole of medieval metalwork - methods specific
to the blacksmith or goldsmith, for example, don't lie within
Biringuccio's fiery interests."

http://www.amazon.com/De-Diversis-Ar.../dp/0198222068
I'm SO happy I didn't have to solder by his methods.

I couldn't comfortably read long e-books on this laptop until I
modified a Staples chair with brackets that raise the back to serve as
a headrest and eliminate the arms so it fits under the keyboard shelf.

-jsw

Gunner Asch[_6_] February 15th 15 04:10 PM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

wrote:

On 2/14/2015 8:13 AM, wrote:
[...]

Thank you!!!

PJ O'Rourke

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 15 06:17 AM

Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

wrote:
download PDF he https://archive.org/details/deremetallica50agri
I grabbed a Kindle format of it.

Thank you!!!

And here's Diderot's Encyclopedie
https://archive.org/details/encyclopdieoudi03alemgoog

And, just for you, the Cold Steel Saber Training Manual. ;)
http://www.thearma.org/pdf/ColdSteel.pdf

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.