Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advice please-oil for old 2 stroke engine

I have an engine that's nearly 100 years old. It is a two stroke water
cooled made by Cady. The oil type for it that's stamped on the brass
label is Gargoyle/Mobiloil "A". The mix ratio is 1 pint per 5 gallons.
This one cylinder engine has grease cups for lubricating the babbit
crankshaft journals. The connecting rod is bronze. The rod is the
bearing for both the wrist pin and crank throw. The piston is cast
iron, with cast iron rings, and runs in a cast iron bore. I think I
can just use non-detergent 30 weight motor oil but am wondering if a
modern two stroke oil would be better. Opinions anyone?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:45:01 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:12:39 -0800, wrote:

I have an engine that's nearly 100 years old. It is a two stroke water
cooled made by Cady. The oil type for it that's stamped on the brass
label is Gargoyle/Mobiloil "A". The mix ratio is 1 pint per 5 gallons.
This one cylinder engine has grease cups for lubricating the babbit
crankshaft journals. The connecting rod is bronze. The rod is the
bearing for both the wrist pin and crank throw. The piston is cast
iron, with cast iron rings, and runs in a cast iron bore. I think I
can just use non-detergent 30 weight motor oil but am wondering if a
modern two stroke oil would be better. Opinions anyone?
Thanks,
Eric

Totally unfounded opinion follows: I have an Ohlsson & Rice two-stroke
bike engine that's nearly as old as I am -- yes, it really runs on
gsoline. g

I had the same question. I asked around to some 2-stroke experts and
they agree that I should use modern 2-stroke oil. I followed Briggs &
Stratton's recommendation. They recommend 50:1 for newer 2-strokes,
and 32:1 for old ones.

I fudged a bit and run it at 25:1. It runs great. It smokes, but not
very much. But I don't have enough hours on it to tell if I'm grinding
up the insides. I think not.

Disclaimer: If it fries your engine, don't blame me. g

===========================
Given the much better lubricating qualities of the new
synthetic two-stroke oils, minimal smoke, and the small
amount you will be using, why not buy the good stuff?

http://tinyurl.com/lwqyf6h
http://tinyurl.com/k4nwdbf

I used Castrol in my Vespa and Aero 150 I had for campus
commute with good results.
http://tinyurl.com/nnge235

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So the experts you spoke with all say to go with modern oils. That's
what I want to to but I was reading on some antique outboard sites and
several guys have said that modern oils will not lubricate properly
plain bearings-that the oils are made for rolling element bearings.
But even though the modern oils are made for bearings that work best
with a very light oil film the piston and rings are not rolling
elements so the oils must work well in shearing too. I could go with
the old type oils but I want to use modern oil because I think they
will work better.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 4:12:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think I
can just use non-detergent 30 weight motor oil but am wondering if a
modern two stroke oil would be better. Opinions anyone?
Thanks,
Eric

Two stroke oil has less ash than plain 30 weight oil. So better on the engine.

Exxon Mobil is an excellent company and is generally regarded as having more research into oils than other companies. So I would buy Mobil 2 stroke oil, at loast if you can easily find it. In any case I would buy a oil that meets API tc. Mobil makes three grades of two stroke oil. They all meet API TC.

Dan