Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What inside of an air tank looks like

I am selling a big air tank, that has an opening through which I could
stick my hand with a cell phone and photograph the inside. I was
rather surprised how clean and rust-free the tank looks inside. No
doubt, this is so because the tank held dry air and had a drain valve.

What you see is the cylindrical part on the left side, joined to a
hemispherical round end on the right side.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Inside-Air-Tank.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27134 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Inside-Air-Tank.jpg

That's cool, Ig! Imaging what it would have looked like if it had been
hot-dip galvanized after welding!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus27134 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Inside-Air-Tank.jpg

That's cool, Ig! Imaging what it would have looked like if it had been
hot-dip galvanized after welding!

I would imagine that it is difficult to hot dip galvanize an inside of
any tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27134 fired this volley in
:

I would imagine that it is difficult to hot dip galvanize an inside of
any tank.

No, not technically difficult, just a large heavily mechanical operation.
They do it all the time. It takes a BIG vat of zinc, but they do it.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
Ignoramus27134 fired this
volley in
:

I would imagine that it is difficult to hot dip galvanize an inside
of
any tank.

No, not technically difficult, just a large heavily mechanical
operation.
They do it all the time. It takes a BIG vat of zinc, but they do
it.

Lloyd

I coated the inside of a 60 gallon air tank with LPS-3. It took only a
small amount of liquid and a way to suspend, roll and tilt the tank.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 05:29:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus27134 fired this volley in
:

I would imagine that it is difficult to hot dip galvanize an inside of
any tank.

No, not technically difficult, just a large heavily mechanical operation.
They do it all the time. It takes a BIG vat of zinc, but they do it.

Lloyd

Decades ago, Dad built a 180 gal. tank on a trailer for av gas. He
had it hot dipped. He just had to make sure there were adequate
cutouts in the internal baffles top and bottom so it'd drain.

We used that thing for many years to do spray jobs. There was room on
the trailer for a 2" Kohler pump and hose. The insecticide or
whatever in drums would be dropped off at whichever strip we were
using, always one beside a rice canal. I'd throw the suction hose in
the canal (screened inlet tied in a 5 gal. bucket). Lay out the
discharge hose toward where the planes would turn around. Dad had
made a graduated dip pipe with a setscrew collar that screwed into a
2" bung and was hosed into the inlet side of the pump. I'd set the
level for the amount of chemical for a load, hook up to the bottom
load port with the camlock hose, open the valves, start the pump and
fill the hopper. When the dip pipe sucked air, I'd block that in and
finish the water load.

Those Ag Cats would haul about 300 gal. of mix.

Pete Keillor