Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a Digital SLR they have outgrown?

Got the bug for a digital SLR. Doesnt need to be a hip slick and cool
fancy one. Just cheap and functional. Need at least one lens for it,
No need for anything more than about 8 or so megapixels.

Im currently using a couple Olympus Camedia C4000 and C5000 and they
work fine..but was organizing my collectables film camera cabinet
tonight and got a wild hair for a Digital SLR.

Its getting harder and harder to get 35mm and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 film
processed. Shrug And digital would be a hell of a lot better for the
kind of picture taking I do. I still have a couple 4x5s on the
shelf..but its been years..decades since I loaded a film holder and
itrs unlikely I ever will again.

Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Buy/swap/trade/free

Gunner, cheap ******* to the core.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:58:49 -0800
Gunner Asch wrote:

Got the bug for a digital SLR. Doesnt need to be a hip slick and cool
fancy one. Just cheap and functional. Need at least one lens for it,
No need for anything more than about 8 or so megapixels.

snip

Don't have one myself, but I understand the desire

I came across this Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3, which you can get the body
new at a reasonable price:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...dp/B00554Z9G6/

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...=specs&support

That doesn't get you any lenses, but it uses the 4/3 lens system. So
you can get inexpensive adapters that may fit some nice manual lens
already in your collection:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...3+lens+adapter

I've got some really good old Tamron Lenses that would be nice to use
again if you know what I mean. Figured that would give me a start and
maybe eventually I'd pony up for the auto lens. Sorely tempted on this
but probably won't do it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Got the bug for a digital SLR. Doesnt need to be a hip slick and cool
fancy one. Just cheap and functional. Need at least one lens for it,
No need for anything more than about 8 or so megapixels.

Look for an old, used Nikon D40; $100 eBay. I just picked up a
remote control for mine for $2.33 from China and it turned it into a
remote camera because the IR circuits are built-in to the camera. AUTO
currently works better than I can on manual, and I've had the camera
for over five years now. The kit I bought came with an 18-55mm lens
and a 55-200mm lens, equivalent to 300mm. Christmas is coming so if
you need to find a good gift for me, a 1200mm lens would do the job
very nicely, thanks!

Im currently using a couple Olympus Camedia C4000 and C5000 and they
work fine..but was organizing my collectables film camera cabinet
tonight and got a wild hair for a Digital SLR.

Digital is so much better than film on many levels. It gives you
instant access, no hassle and risk of darkroom chemicals or film,
and Photoshop can fix/change/meld your pic into anything you wish.

Its getting harder and harder to get 35mm and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 film
processed. Shrug And digital would be a hell of a lot better for the
kind of picture taking I do. I still have a couple 4x5s on the
shelf..but its been years..decades since I loaded a film holder and
itrs unlikely I ever will again.

I hear ya.

Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

Buy/swap/trade/free

Gunner, cheap ******* to the core.

+1

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The wonders of digital are also why there are some places it isn't
allowed to be used (although this is changing slowly). Namely things
like crime scenes and investigations. Many will not accept digital
images because they can be easily altered.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I dont have anything special..other than a couple Nikon S2s, both of
which are Mint. Cases are falling apart though...shrug.

Im still ****ed as hell about missing the Minoltas....best of my
recollection was I had 3-4 of them..SRT101/SR-2/SR-T and a XD-11
(according to some records I have. That pesky stroke has caused more
than a few memory problems like this) I keep brands together in
camera bags..and the Minolta SLR bag is missing. Still have a couple
no value point and shoots from them...but...sigh. Unless its tucked
away somewhere unyet found...someone walked off with it. I suspect I
know who did it..but they are now doing a 3 yr hitch in prison in
Missouri and are out of reach....at least for a while...........

I dont know if you remember me showing you the big black steel cabinet
next to the gun lockers in my "study" ..but the big glass front
cabinets in the dining room were filled with cameras until the ol lady
found some crystal and china at a couple yard sales..(decent stuff)
and I blew the dust off the camera gear and put em away. Probably a
year before you were here.

Going through the stuff last night..I did find some cut film backs for
the Mamiya TLRs I never remembered snagging. Kinda like Christmas!!
and some other stuff I didnt remember getting. Im also missing one
Hassy 500C body..but I may have swapped it off...stroke moment writ
large...sigh. Found a Zeiss Ikonta Pronto..absol****inglutly mint in
the case I dont remember getting either..but they are only worth about
$50 at best. I really dont collect based on value..I snag stuff that
tickles my fancy that isnt utter junk..Grafix twin lens reflex...that
kind of thing..Got a few cameras that use film that is impossible to
find..some fo the Autographics for example...620 or 122 films are not
worth the effort finding. Shrug

I tend to snag cameras at 2nd hand stores/yard sales for a few bucks,
take em home, polish em up, click the shutters a few times, them put
em away...nothing fancy. Once in a while Ill find something way
cool...the Nikon S2s for example. One is a black dial.....gave $20 for
it and another $10 for the 135 mm lens beside it in the cabinet...both
cased and Mint++

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/s2_s4.htm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+s2& _sacat=0

Oh..anyone got a decent light meter..Sekonic/Gossen etc etc. Having
one abient/flash capable would be nice...shrug..but just dreaming...
My old faithful Studio Pro got the incident globe smashed
somehow...and it costs more to replace it than replace the entire
meter on Ebay.

Anyways..looking for a digital SLR if you run across something decent
but inexpensive

Gunner

Buy/swap/trade/free

Gunner, cheap ******* to the core.

+1

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Old Minolta lenses work very nicely with Sony Alpha digital cameras.
The adapters are available from several sources.

I'm using old Nikon F-series lenses on my Sony Alpha Nex-7. They work
great, too.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Uncoraborated photographic evidence does not stand up in court - even
fil today, because it is also possible to "film" digitally altered
images.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

[...]

No, I don't recall those from either visit, mon.

Going through the stuff last night..I did find some cut film backs for
the Mamiya TLRs I never remembered snagging. Kinda like Christmas!!
and some other stuff I didnt remember getting. Im also missing one
Hassy 500C body..but I may have swapped it off...stroke moment writ
large...sigh. Found a Zeiss Ikonta Pronto..absol****inglutly mint in
the case I dont remember getting either..but they are only worth about
$50 at best. I really dont collect based on value..I snag stuff that
tickles my fancy that isnt utter junk..Grafix twin lens reflex...that
kind of thing..Got a few cameras that use film that is impossible to
find..some fo the Autographics for example...620 or 122 films are not
worth the effort finding. Shrug

I never got very deeply involved in cameras until the digitals came
out. Then I saved up and got the Nikon 995 and some extra lenses. I
bent the innards somehow while getting out of my truck with it around
my neck, so it's just sitting. It doesn't consistently autofocus
properly any more. It's not a DSLR, but make me an offer if you want.
Original value over a grand. I have several lenses for it (fisheye,
std, tele) and tons of filters and such. They wanted $150 to fix it,
so I saved up for the D40 kit. If you know some camera people, you'd
get it done cheaply. The only thing I'm missing from my current
camera is a decent flash setup. I even got a pair of silver umbrella
reflectors, 65W CFL lights/stands, and 4 10x20' color backgrounds. The
remote let me snap new portrait photos of myself for the business.
One potential client of mine was going to pay me $300 to do a photo
shoot of his Madrone furniture he builds, but a friend offered to do
it for free. Curses, foiled again! It was his friend's original
photography which I'd commented on that led to the potential work.
The guy had reflections everywhere, washing out the work horribly.
C'est la vie.

I tend to snag cameras at 2nd hand stores/yard sales for a few bucks,
take em home, polish em up, click the shutters a few times, them put
em away...nothing fancy. Once in a while Ill find something way
cool...the Nikon S2s for example. One is a black dial.....gave $20 for
it and another $10 for the 135 mm lens beside it in the cabinet...both
cased and Mint++

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/s2_s4.htm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+s2& _sacat=0

Oh..anyone got a decent light meter..Sekonic/Gossen etc etc. Having
one abient/flash capable would be nice...shrug..but just dreaming...
My old faithful Studio Pro got the incident globe smashed
somehow...and it costs more to replace it than replace the entire
meter on Ebay.

The AUTO position of most newer cameras just about does away with any
need for a meter.

Anyways..looking for a digital SLR if you run across something decent
but inexpensive

What does "inexpensive" mean to you?

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/25/2014 7:47 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Old Minolta lenses work very nicely with Sony Alpha digital cameras.
The adapters are available from several sources.

And of course, any of the Maxxum lenses will work too. There's some good
ones that can be had dirt cheap compared to anything current. That's why
my brother got me into Sony cameras (besides being a dedicated Minolta
shooter for decades). Not many other brands will adapt to the Sony, but
with an M42 adapter, there's a fair number of good manual lenses that
can be had cheap.

The A100 is a decent starter camera, and can be had pretty cheap if one
is patient. Here's a listing of sold A100's on eBay for a good idea of
prices.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_s abdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sop=1 2&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_nkw=sony+a100&LH_Complete=1&LH_ Sold=1&rt=nc
Dyxum.com is a superb site for anything Alpha mount.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

Check Ebay. Probably somewhere in the $3-8 range. If its minty..$20

Though I didnt find any stereo cameras made by/Sold by Argus

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2059210.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.Xargus+stero+camera&_nkw=argus+stero+camera &_sacat=0

[...]

You walked by it 20 times...shrug.

[...]

Thanks..but Im looking for a DSLR. Ive got a half dozen Olympus point
and shoots..I started out with the Camedia 3000s and am up to the
C-5500s now. I pick em up on Ebay for $15-20 and they work admirably
well. I keep giving them to friends and family and then ordering
another 1 or two. The last pair I bought were NOS...still in the boxes
and unopened. Camedia C-5500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-CAME...-/231393607823

Rugged, decent optics, reasonable pixels..poor flash for anything
other than snap shots of the family/machinery. I use a slave(s) if I
need to light up a bigger area.

[...]

But I enjoy shooting old cameras that take film. I have several of
these that I use regularly...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2632.R2.TR 2.TRC1.A0.H0.XMamyia+330&_nkw=mamiya+330&_sacat=69 323

And of course Ive got most..not all...but most of the accessories,
Poro finders, multiple lenses, paramender base for close up shots

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMIYA-PARAM...-/361124280170

Shrug..I have several setups like this...just add filters releases,
hoods, screens, cut film backs, roll film backs... etc etc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mami...-/121487874143

Each of the cases weighs about 25 lbs. Not something you take to
Disney Land with the grand kids.

Ive got a few 4x5 cut film cameras that I used to use the hell out of

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anniversary-...-/161148145353
(full kit, factory case, lamp base, both reflectors, focal plane AND
lens mounted shutters, 10 or so cut film holders...the usual

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Busch-Pressm...-/151386231935

(same setup as the one for sale above)

Had one of these..I sold it 5 years ago when work was bad right after
my surgery...... 2009

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-QUAL...-/300958951916

Also own a Linhoff Kardan..but its out on loan and has been for 10
yrs with the local ROP program...shrug. The instructor is a buddy of
mine and he enjoys teaching kids all the tricks one can do with a
fully articulatable camera.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Karda...-/291279375764

they all shoot a single negative (2 per film holder) that is 4"x5".
You can blow up a pretty good sized photo from such a
negative...(grin) I only run em in B&W..my favorite medium for "art"
photos. Still have a bunch of film in the freezer..shrug..including
some IR which is way way out of date..but last time we shot
some..still worked perfectly (it was 20 yrs old then..so its probably
30 yrs old or older now)

A random sampling of scanned photos..I bought a film scanner a few
years ago that allows me to scan negatives and of course Ive got a
good (old) flat bed scanner. I need to start scanning my good
stuff..one of these days..shrug.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/OldPhotos

Ive got a degree in photography...which is why I do something
completely different to make a living....shrug

Anyways..looking for a digital SLR if you run across something decent
but inexpensive

What does "inexpensive" mean to you?

Under $100 or swap/trade etc.

Lots DSLRs on ebay for that price. Just trying to get the biggest bang
for my buck/stuff that I can.

I really have no Need for a DSLR..just a want for one.

Need an Omega Model D enlarger? (4x5 head)..Ive got 2 of them. Out in
storage and Im not sure they are even any good anymore. Havent used em
in 20 yrs. Good heads..bellows might be bad..good Wollensak lenses and
all the negative carriers. Ill dig em out and check to see if they are
still ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMMON-OMEGA...-/181591329229

Got a color enlarger too..Bessler I think. Never used it after I horse
traded for it..color was a pain in the ass to do.
Lots of good deals on that sort of stuff out there.;...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALMOST-ALL-U...-/331393955310

I dont have room for a darkroom...so gave most of my darkroom stuff
away yrs ago

Gunner
PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:47:42 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jon! I didnt know Sony made cameras other than movie cameras (
I have a few Sony HandiCam 8mms)

Digital SLRs is a whol new world to me. Im learning more and more
each day!

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The Sony A7 , A75, A7-II, etc. -- full-frame cameras -- are pretty
popular among pros right now, replacing a lot of medium-format cameras
for all-around use. They're mirrorless, 24 MP, with 14-bit RAW. Sony
has the best mirroless resolution at the moment; it's very close to
the through-the-lens viewer appearance of a mirrored DSLR, with less
mechanism, weight, and size. And less noise.

For half the price the Sony NEX-7 mirrorless is much more compact.
It's APS-C, so a lens from an old 35mm camera works like a lens that's
50% longer: a 50mm Nikkor-F lens appears to be 75mm, in other words.

I've been using an NEX-7 for a year now, and it's done everything I
want. I use the kit lens 90% of the time but it's nice to be able to
use it with my old Nikon lenses, especially my 55mm Micro-Nikkor. At
24 MP, it has the resolution. And the dynamic range is superior to
anything I've used before, even though the full-frame chip is supposed
to be slightly higher.

All in all, it's the right camera for my work and for fun.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/26/2014 1:39 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I've been using an NEX-7 for a year now, and it's done everything I
want. I use the kit lens 90% of the time but it's nice to be able to
use it with my old Nikon lenses, especially my 55mm Micro-Nikkor. At
24 MP, it has the resolution. And the dynamic range is superior to
anything I've used before, even though the full-frame chip is supposed
to be slightly higher.

All in all, it's the right camera for my work and for fun.

I would love to have the NEX-7, but other budget priorities right now...
There are times when the mirror noise of a DSLR can be annoying,
especially if one wants more than one candid shot in a quiet setting.
Couple years ago wife and I were at a motel along the NSW coast. I went
out for some early morning shooting. There was a large pool down near
the water with a lone swimmer. Great background, sun beaming through
holes in the clouds. Got off one shot, but from nearly 100 meters, he
heard the camera and looked up at me, destroying the look I was after
and eliminating any chance of different compositions. The compactness is
also great for travel. Can be challenging to bring two DSLR bodies and a
few lenses as carry on, as Qantas and other domestics here have strict
weight limits.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 07:44:28 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that these mirrorless cameras are not dead quiet. They
still have to close a mechanical shutter. When the true shutterless
cameras come along, it will be a revolution -- especially for wildlife
photography.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:13:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

Need an Omega Model D enlarger? (4x5 head)..Ive got 2 of them. Out in
storage and Im not sure they are even any good anymore. Havent used em
in 20 yrs. Good heads..bellows might be bad..good Wollensak lenses and
all the negative carriers. Ill dig em out and check to see if they are
still ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMMON-OMEGA...-/181591329229

O.K. -- I had to check the auction to see whether it had the two
notches for aligning the negative holders or the riveted on ring which
allowed any angle in the later ones. (I wound up with a Chromega D
series with three autofocus tracks - in addition to a B series with two
autofocus tracks which took the smaller holders in the series.)

No -- I don't need them now -- but with this broken arm, no way
to even look them over. They're on the rafters of a shed right now. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:13:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

Need an Omega Model D enlarger? (4x5 head)..Ive got 2 of them. Out in
storage and Im not sure they are even any good anymore. Havent used em
in 20 yrs. Good heads..bellows might be bad..good Wollensak lenses and
all the negative carriers. Ill dig em out and check to see if they are
still ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMMON-OMEGA...-/181591329229

O.K. -- I had to check the auction to see whether it had the two
notches for aligning the negative holders or the riveted on ring which
allowed any angle in the later ones. (I wound up with a Chromega D
series with three autofocus tracks - in addition to a B series with two
autofocus tracks which took the smaller holders in the series.)

Oooh! Nice enlargers!!!

No -- I don't need them now -- but with this broken arm, no way
to even look them over. They're on the rafters of a shed right now. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

What..no grand kids?

(Grin)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

Check Ebay. Probably somewhere in the $3-8 range. If its minty..$20

Um, I think I'll wait to find a needy collector.

[...]

The _china_ cabinet. Yes, I did. I don't recall the cameras at all.

Thanks..but Im looking for a DSLR. Ive got a half dozen Olympus point
and shoots..I started out with the Camedia 3000s and am up to the
C-5500s now. I pick em up on Ebay for $15-20 and they work admirably
well. I keep giving them to friends and family and then ordering
another 1 or two. The last pair I bought were NOS...still in the boxes
and unopened. Camedia C-5500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-CAME...-/231393607823

My sister had one of those Camedia 3Ks and it was a finicky bitch (her
words.) She traded it for a smart phone with a cam. Go figure!

Rugged, decent optics, reasonable pixels..poor flash for anything
other than snap shots of the family/machinery. I use a slave(s) if I
need to light up a bigger area.

I've been eyeing those flash strobe kits. Cheap Chiwanese? And I
could use one with my white translucent umbrella and stand.
http://tinyurl.com/mhewdpb 40w $15 w/ free shipping.

The AUTO position of most newer cameras just about does away with any
need for a meter.

But I enjoy shooting old cameras that take film. I have several of
these that I use regularly...

Whatever floats yer boat, sir.

Ive got a degree in photography...which is why I do something
completely different to make a living....shrug

Right. g

Anyways..looking for a digital SLR if you run across something decent
but inexpensive

What does "inexpensive" mean to you?

Under $100 or swap/trade etc.

Lots DSLRs on ebay for that price. Just trying to get the biggest bang
for my buck/stuff that I can.

OK.

I really have no Need for a DSLR..just a want for one.

As well you should. They're great!

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

Check Ebay. Probably somewhere in the $3-8 range. If its minty..$20

Um, I think I'll wait to find a needy collector.

Gonna wait a very long time. The Argus cameras have little collector
value, even in NOS condition.

Film camera equipment with rare exceptions has gone down in value over
the past 20 yrs. My Hasselblads were $500 cameras in the 1980s..and
they are still about that in price. Given that $500 was a lot of money
then..and not much now...

The Speed Graphics were worth about the same 15 yrs ago..now they are
selling on Ebay for $150-300. And those are not considered "low end"
consumer cameras

My Zeiss Ikonta was worth $300 15 yrs ago...they are selling on Ebay
for $50 today.

Which is one of the reasons I gave up buying "collectable" cameras for
anything other than because I like some of them.

[...]

I bought my wife a very nice Sony point and shoot last year, extra
battery packs, nice compact case, extra memory cards, card reader to
plug into her computer etc etc.

She still uses her phone for 90% of her photos..and most of them
utterly suck in low light. She emails me blurry photos of the dogs and
grand kids daily. Works well enough in broad daylight..but
indoors....the photos suck with loud slurping noises.

Rugged, decent optics, reasonable pixels..poor flash for anything
other than snap shots of the family/machinery. I use a slave(s) if I
need to light up a bigger area.

I've been eyeing those flash strobe kits. Cheap Chiwanese? And I
could use one with my white translucent umbrella and stand.
http://tinyurl.com/mhewdpb 40w $15 w/ free shipping.

They work well enough until they die..then you buy another one. Crom
knows they are cheap enough and indeed do the job. Like Harbor Freight
tools.

The AUTO position of most newer cameras just about does away with any
need for a meter.

But I enjoy shooting old cameras that take film. I have several of
these that I use regularly...

Whatever floats yer boat, sir.

To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and
150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

Im sure there are some cameras out there that can do it...IE
government stuff probably..but its in the many many thousands of
dollars.

now its not really important if you are printing corner to corner..but
taking something thats in the photo and blowing it up for
detail..thats where it really..really shows up.

Now if you are simply looking at the photos on a computer
screen...hell 640x480 has been adequate for a long time..which is far
"grainier" than Tri-x pushed hard.

Hence my desire for a DSLR with no more than 8-10 MP..I simply dont
need it and the file size goes through the freaking roof at high
resolution. Put 50 such photos on a 700 mb CD ( or less)

Ive got a degree in photography...which is why I do something
completely different to make a living....shrug

Right. g

I used to do a lot of archtechtural and industrial photos and some
weddings. Then SLRs got cheap..and Uncle Bob was doing the
photos..suddenly there wasnt enough money in it to make a living. And
that happened in only a couple years. I got into professional
photography at the tail end..didnt have a long term reputation though
I did excellent work...so had to find another way to make a living.
Lots of one time pro photogs found themselves out of the business the
same way for the same reason.

The Linhoff was the camera I used for architectural photos..the only
type of camera that can be used (properly) to do buildings and
materials closeup.

If you dont know what I mean...

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...movements.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/movements.htm#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt%E2...ft_photography

Had a Calumet too, but sold it years ago for 4x what I paid for it.

Anyways..looking for a digital SLR if you run across something decent
but inexpensive

What does "inexpensive" mean to you?

Under $100 or swap/trade etc.

Lots DSLRs on ebay for that price. Just trying to get the biggest bang
for my buck/stuff that I can.

OK.

I really have no Need for a DSLR..just a want for one.

As well you should. They're great!

Im still looking. There are just so many out there..I dont know what
to get. With electronics being as they are..some are good..some are
excellent..some are ****.

Shrug

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

Check Ebay. Probably somewhere in the $3-8 range. If its minty..$20

Um, I think I'll wait to find a needy collector.

Gonna wait a very long time. The Argus cameras have little collector
value, even in NOS condition.

I know.

I bought my wife a very nice Sony point and shoot last year, extra
battery packs, nice compact case, extra memory cards, card reader to
plug into her computer etc etc.

She still uses her phone for 90% of her photos..and most of them

sigh

utterly suck in low light. She emails me blurry photos of the dogs and
grand kids daily. Works well enough in broad daylight..but
indoors....the photos suck with loud slurping noises.

Yeah, those and phone videos really do suck. How about the hand
movement of 99.9% of those vids, too? Veritable Parkinsons.

Rugged, decent optics, reasonable pixels..poor flash for anything
other than snap shots of the family/machinery. I use a slave(s) if I
need to light up a bigger area.

I've been eyeing those flash strobe kits. Cheap Chiwanese? And I
could use one with my white translucent umbrella and stand.
http://tinyurl.com/mhewdpb 40w $15 w/ free shipping.

They work well enough until they die..then you buy another one. Crom
knows they are cheap enough and indeed do the job. Like Harbor Freight
tools.

Good, you answered my unasked question.

The AUTO position of most newer cameras just about does away with any
need for a meter.

But I enjoy shooting old cameras that take film. I have several of
these that I use regularly...

Whatever floats yer boat, sir.

To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and
150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

What for, to print posters and billboards? g

Now if you are simply looking at the photos on a computer
screen...hell 640x480 has been adequate for a long time..which is far
"grainier" than Tri-x pushed hard.

Hence my desire for a DSLR with no more than 8-10 MP..I simply dont
need it and the file size goes through the freaking roof at high
resolution. Put 50 such photos on a 700 mb CD ( or less)

Perzactly.

NEW PROJECT:
I'm wiring in the two 3W LED backup lamps I bought which arrived
yesterday. They're drilled through the plastic portion of the center
of the dock bumper
Sucha deal! I'm getting ten more for $9.95 total if they accept my
offer. Otherwise, they sell for the rich price of $10.99, shipped.
I can use these in flashlights more easily than the MR16 format.
5500k, 3w, 12v, screw back with nut.

I'm bidding on a pair of 10w of the same style, like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390945554415

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

There is a lot to be said for a hanging a 18x20" print on the wall
that you are right proud off...Crystal clear with no fuzz..all the way
up to wall size. Remember some of those do it yourself "finish the
wall in your den in a Giant Sized Photo of the Mountains!!" ?
I did a number of those in a 5 yr period. Got paid a hundred or so
for the ones they used. Only time I shot color in the 4x5 format.
Ektachrome for winter/water/sky shots. and nice warm Kodachrome for
just about everything else...big ass slides. Low grain enabled them
to blow up a 8x10 or 8x 12 foot poster you could paste to your wall in
the den. Had to be careful though...shooting a sheet of Kodachrome 25
at F32 or F64 of an fall hillside..the clouds could move and **** up
the shot. So bright sunny days and no wind were a requirement. Along
with a HEAVY tripod and some distance from heavy traffic.

[...]

Cool!! Have you powered them up? What is the field of view..IE..are
they spot lights or flood light patterned? Would they make good
cabin lights for sailboats?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Kodachrome sheet film was discontinued in 1951.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and
150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

What for, to print posters and billboards? g

There is a lot to be said for a hanging a 18x20" print on the wall
that you are right proud off...Crystal clear with no fuzz..all the way
up to wall size. Remember some of those do it yourself "finish the
wall in your den in a Giant Sized Photo of the Mountains!!" ?

Yes, and I loved them.

I did a number of those in a 5 yr period. Got paid a hundred or so
for the ones they used. Only time I shot color in the 4x5 format.

Shades of Ansel...

Ektachrome for winter/water/sky shots. and nice warm Kodachrome for
just about everything else...big ass slides. Low grain enabled them
to blow up a 8x10 or 8x 12 foot poster you could paste to your wall in

Cool. So there is -one- niche for the larger formats.

the den. Had to be careful though...shooting a sheet of Kodachrome 25
at F32 or F64 of an fall hillside..the clouds could move and **** up
the shot. So bright sunny days and no wind were a requirement. Along
with a HEAVY tripod and some distance from heavy traffic.

Yeah, I can imagine.

NEW PROJECT:
I'm wiring in the two 3W LED backup lamps I bought which arrived
yesterday. They're drilled through the plastic portion of the center
of the dock bumper
Sucha deal! I'm getting ten more for $9.95 total if they accept my
offer. Otherwise, they sell for the rich price of $10.99, shipped.
I can use these in flashlights more easily than the MR16 format.
5500k, 3w, 12v, screw back with nut.

I'm bidding on a pair of 10w of the same style, like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390945554415

Cool!! Have you powered them up? What is the field of view..IE..are
they spot lights or flood light patterned? Would they make good
cabin lights for sailboats?

I got them wired this morning, all soldered into the wiring harness
for the 7-pin trailer plug. They say "120 degree", but I doubt they
are that wide. I'll know how bright they are tonight when it's dark.
They appear brighter at 5' than the existing BU lights.

For the boat cabin, though, you want these $2.44 monsters. 48 SMD LED
panels. http://tinyurl.com/kqpjnun (ooh, they're lower-priced now!)

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-26, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 26 Nov 2014 02:24:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

O.K. -- I had to check the auction to see whether it had the two
notches for aligning the negative holders or the riveted on ring which
allowed any angle in the later ones. (I wound up with a Chromega D
series with three autofocus tracks - in addition to a B series with two
autofocus tracks which took the smaller holders in the series.)

Oooh! Nice enlargers!!!

I was quite pleased with them over the years.

The D-series one was a surplus auction win, and it turned out to
have come from upstairs of where my wife worked. :-)

No -- I don't need them now -- but with this broken arm, no way
to even look them over. They're on the rafters of a shed right now. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

What..no grand kids?

Gotta have kids, first. :-) Kinda late for that by now.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

He was a photographer even before he went to Vietnam :-)
--
cheers,

John B.Slocomb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Nov 2014 00:02:55 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-11-26, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 26 Nov 2014 02:24:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

O.K. -- I had to check the auction to see whether it had the two
notches for aligning the negative holders or the riveted on ring which
allowed any angle in the later ones. (I wound up with a Chromega D
series with three autofocus tracks - in addition to a B series with two
autofocus tracks which took the smaller holders in the series.)

Oooh! Nice enlargers!!!

I was quite pleased with them over the years.

The D-series one was a surplus auction win, and it turned out to
have come from upstairs of where my wife worked. :-)

Funny how that works out sometimes.

No -- I don't need them now -- but with this broken arm, no way
to even look them over. They're on the rafters of a shed right now. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

What..no grand kids?

Gotta have kids, first. :-) Kinda late for that by now.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Ah! Sorry to hear that. But the neighbors have kids!

(Grin)

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The D-series one was a surplus auction win, and it turned out to
have come from upstairs of where my wife worked. :-)

Funny how that works out sometimes.

Yep!

No -- I don't need them now -- but with this broken arm, no way
to even look them over. They're on the rafters of a shed right now. :-)

[ ... ]

What..no grand kids?

Gotta have kids, first. :-) Kinda late for that by now.

[ ... ]

Ah! Sorry to hear that. But the neighbors have kids!

(Grin)

I can think of just the righyneighbor.

Thanks!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I used to drive a 11x14 View Camera. The tripod was 20ft tall when
spread out ready for the camera. I used the camera without the
"Battle Field" tripod. Took some nice pictures of Dad and Mom and Dad.
Shot outdoors and in. Film was cheap enough - free. Developing was
done at MY photo lab in AFRS. Note No T in it as of yet.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I thought we were going to hear about a secret stash he got from
Rochester, and running K-14 in his darkroom sink. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Shot an 8x10 view a few times...first time I was ever able to do full
sized contact prints G

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

That is what I have of Mom and Dad in front of a Palm Tree - in the
South Pacific naturally - one of the costly islands to take. The old
print frame was rusty. Who would guess in a lab full of chemical tanks
open to the air... :-) So contact prints were managed.

I was an official AFRS photo-tag guy to take pictures for the Hourglass
and other need shots. Pro grade photo's were contracted out to Kentron
of Hawaii. They had a very modern photo lab of their own. They
ran 400' of Extachrome and some high speed, high density black and
white. The Exta was Mil grade as was the B/W and was secret class.
When Fuji and others brought out fancy color in high grades - Kodak had
them beat for years but could not sell it. The fine grain stuff was
used in a number of high speed cameras that were loaded before each
shot. (Missile shot) We were on the receiving end of a missile range.
I got a few rolls to re-roll into 35mm carts for my Nikons. Buy standard
Extachrome kits from the states via mail order - wait a month maybe and
start shooting. Having a film bag and rolling my own rolls of B/W and
color was cool. I could shoot several rolls an outing. Naturally, that
was over 50 years ago. Such is life. My home developed slides are
still very well. While some of the Kodachrome I shot is showing age.
One would have thought the flip on those two.

Martin