Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do I have any hope of selling those huge CNC machines

This is the latest adventure.

I bought two Cat 50 CNC machines:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...8&rfp b=0#Top
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...9&rfp b=0#Top

As you can see, they did not cost me too much.

They are "Brute CNC" and one has a Mitsubishi control, another has a
Celca S3045 CNC control. Both seem to be from 2000's.

These are large machine, the biggest one weighs about 40,000 lbs and
the smaller one, probably about 30,000 lbs.

They both presumably work and were not even doing daily production
work, they were at a cosmetics plant making extruder parts or
whatever.

My question is, even assuming the best about their condition, is there
any hope of selling them for significantly more than their scrap and
partout value. I assume about $8,000 scrap+parts for the big one and
$6,000 for the smaller one.

I can rig thise machines on a buyer's truck, and I have a couple of
weeks at the auction site, however I would be loath to bring them to
my warehouse.

And my question is, how realistic would it be to expect to sell them
for a lot more than scrap value in that short of a time frame?

My past experience was moxed, I could sell some machines and not
others.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

it is a shame, but industry won't touch them. And they are too big for
most basements

If it were me, I'd put them up on eBay for one week, then scrap them
when/if you don't get a bite.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:44:19 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

it is a shame, but industry won't touch them. And they are too big for
most basements

If it were me, I'd put them up on eBay for one week, then scrap them
when/if you don't get a bite.

Karl

Or try letting one of the big used-machinery dealers broker them.
Those guys usually are in touch with shops that buy big machines. If
they don't have to ship it or warehouse it, they might make a deal.

I won't recommend one, because I'm wary of all of them. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20341 wrote:

[...]

Sadly, no

They are just to big for a small shop and too old for any production
environment. They are even too big to donate to some sort of
"makerspace". I'd still list them for a week on the off chance someone
has a need, but shipping would probably be prohibitive for any place not
local to you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-17, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus20341 wrote:

[...]

OK, I think that the collective wisdom is that they will not
sell. This is fine with me, as the iron is worth a lot more than what
I paid and the servos, cards, pumps and so on will all add up quite a
bit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 17, 2014 5:36:20 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus20341 wrote:

OK, I think that the collective wisdom is that they will not

sell. This is fine with me, as the iron is worth a lot more than what

I paid and the servos, cards, pumps and so on will all add up quite a

bit.

You might try calling some big machinery places and see if they have any interest. Maybe they would have a place for the machines and would sell for some percentage of the sales price.

Check out http://www.carneymachinery.com/ They have machines of that size and a bridge crane to pick the machines off and on trucks. They just are not local to you.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-18, wrote:

You might try calling some big machinery places and see if they have any interest. Maybe they would have a place for the machines and would sell for some percentage of the sales price.

Check out
http://www.carneymachinery.com/ They have machines of that size and a bridge crane to pick the machines off and on trucks. They just are not local to you.

The scrap+parts value of this machine is about 8,000
dollars. Doubtfully a dealer will want to pay more than that, plus
they are all assholes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

it is a shame, but industry won't touch them. And they are too big for
most basements

If it were me, I'd put them up on eBay for one week, then scrap them
when/if you don't get a bite.

Karl

Or try letting one of the big used-machinery dealers broker them.
Those guys usually are in touch with shops that buy big machines. If
they don't have to ship it or warehouse it, they might make a deal.

I won't recommend one, because I'm wary of all of them. g

I am also wary of all of them, had enough dealing with dealers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-17, Karl Townsend wrote:
it is a shame, but industry won't touch them. And they are too big for
most basements

If it were me, I'd put them up on eBay for one week, then scrap them
when/if you don't get a bite.

Yep, this is what I will do. I do have a week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:34:14 -0500, Ignoramus20341
wrote:

[...]

1. Ive never heard of either brand
2. You should be able to sell them for $12k -18k right out the gate,
assuming that they both actually work with no issues

Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong
with that btw. Good stuff.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Good point about the oil patch. You wouldn't believe the amount of
activity out there. its the Wild Wild West.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:14:49 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Good point about the oil patch. You wouldn't believe the amount of
activity out there. its the Wild Wild West.

Karl

Or down here in Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale. Every time we drive
down to the condo (Galveston), I see drilling equipment on hot shot
trucks, new tank farms, refurbishing in old facilities, etc.

But with oil prices dropping, does anybody remember the '80's bust?
I'd hate to see that again here.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks...

These Spanish controls use special Spanish G-codes: G-uno, G-dos,
G-tres etc
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And the special homing code, G-whiz.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

To home on the specific spot G-spot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

G-zus, how'd we ever get HERE?

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-19, Larry Jaques

wrote:

[...]

We G-roped our way ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aie Carumba!!

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/18/2014 2:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong
with that btw. Good stuff.

Gunner

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Good point about the oil patch. You wouldn't believe the amount of
activity out there. its the Wild Wild West.

Karl

Except they're mills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

On 10/18/2014 2:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong
with that btw. Good stuff.

Gunner

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

Speeds and feeds most likely. The new stuff is scary fast. Also more and
more 5axis to reduce setups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 20:20:42 -0500, Ignoramus11869
wrote:

Hey, Ig, I just got the following email from John Carroll:

Hey Ed,
You can tell Iggy that those two mills carry the Cardenas brand
because Kurt and his sister Holly had a run at importing iron.

They are in Detroit if he wants to call them. Cardenas & Son.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*
Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong*
with that btw. Good stuff.*
*
Gunner*
*

What's the difference between these and new? *How are they obsolete?*

Gee, Tom is asking questions and has finally started acting like an adult. Go to yahoo, Google or MSN and type in four simple words: "3rd printing vs cnc"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

Speeds and feeds most likely. The new stuff is scary fast. Also more and
more 5axis to reduce setups.

Right now,"The Kid" is doing nothing but setting up new 5axis machines
and programming. With this and other optimizing things, they are
reducing time to make a part by a factor of five.

If anyone is interested, the limiting factor is finding enough highly
trained help to get the new stuff running right.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:48:37 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Good point about the oil patch. You wouldn't believe the amount of
activity out there. its the Wild Wild West.

Karl

Except they're mills.

Yes and?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 12:44:04 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/18/2014 2:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong
with that btw. Good stuff.

Gunner

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

What is the difference? Other than all the working parts are somewhat
worn?

Not much.

The G code may be different. Not a big deal

As for obsolete...shrug..when one wants a mill that runs at 1000 ipm
and these may only do 500 or even 300...some shops would call that
obsolete.

And in a 24/7 production environment..they could..could be right.

For the production environment these machines would be used for...not
in the slightest bit. Loading a 200+ lb part on to the table and then
squaring it up will take some length of time, fixtures or jigs
nothwithstanding

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:50:02 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

On 10/18/2014 2:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong
with that btw. Good stuff.

Gunner

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

Speeds and feeds most likely

I was working in a shop earlier in the week that cut a lot of
"sheet metal". They have a Cincinatti lazer (10,000 watts) that
travels at 1500 IPM..thats 125 feet a minute..which doesnt seem all
that fast until you realize that they are cutting on 4x8 and 5x8
sheets of 1/2" plate (will cut 1" thick +)..and the machine is big
enough to lay (2) of those plates side by side on the table....5x16
feet..and the lazer is screaming along at 125 feet a minute

It has guarding all around the table about 4' tall with lazer
perimeter sensors that stops everything RIGHT NOW if anything gets
inside the cage, They were complaining that moths would shut the
system down on morning shift.......

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-19, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 10/18/2014 2:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their
work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they
dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong
with that btw. Good stuff.

Gunner

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

New ones are faster, more accurate, Ethernet enabled, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey, Ig, I just got the following email from John Carroll:

Hey Ed,
You can tell Iggy that those two mills carry the Cardenas brand
because Kurt and his sister Holly had a run at importing iron.

They are in Detroit if he wants to call them. Cardenas & Son.

This is interesting! Thanks!

I will call them on Monday.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

I was working in a shop earlier in the week that cut a lot of
"sheet metal". They have a Cincinatti lazer (10,000 watts) that
travels at 1500 IPM..thats 125 feet a minute..which doesnt seem all
that fast until you realize that they are cutting on 4x8 and 5x8
sheets of 1/2" plate (will cut 1" thick +)..and the machine is big
enough to lay (2) of those plates side by side on the table....5x16
feet..and the lazer is screaming along at 125 feet a minute

It has guarding all around the table about 4' tall with lazer
perimeter sensors that stops everything RIGHT NOW if anything gets
inside the cage, They were complaining that moths would shut the
system down on morning shift.......

125 feet per minute is 85 miles per hour, so having that laser head do 0-85
mph in random directions at random times over and over and over seems pretty
impressive to me.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey, Ig, I just got the following email from John Carroll:

Hey Ed,
You can tell Iggy that those two mills carry the Cardenas brand
because Kurt and his sister Holly had a run at importing iron.

They are in Detroit if he wants to call them. Cardenas & Son.

found this on usenet, of all places:

From: "Ed"
Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc
Subject: Fadal Distributers

Here in Detroit, Fadal and CSI Cardenas parted ways last
year. Cardenas is now selling a line of machines under the Brute name
and the Fadals are being sold by a company called VMC Technologies.

Ed

Additionally, I found their specs he

http://www.ccarcade.com/brute35.html

One machine weighs 30,865 lbs, and the other 37,400 lbs, not bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:47:50 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

.. .

================================================= ==============================

125 feet per minute is 85 miles per hour, so having that laser head do 0-85
mph in random directions at random times over and over and over seems pretty
impressive to me.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Fiber lasers today are accelerating at 2 to 5 Gs. But acceleration
isn't the big issue when you're making really tight turns. It's
"lurch," or "jerk" that is the limiting factor for laser burning small
holes and complex parts. Acceleration is the first derivative, and
lurch is the second derivative.

Here's an explanation of how LVD-Strippit does it on their new fiber
laser machines:

http://tinyurl.com/nb5694x

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:11:24 -0500, Ignoramus9750

From: "Ed"
Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc

Here in Detroit, Fadal and CSI Cardenas parted ways last
year. Cardenas is now selling a line of machines under the Brute name
and the Fadals are being sold by a company called VMC Technologies.

Ed

Additionally, I found their specs he

http://www.ccarcade.com/brute35.html

One machine weighs 30,865 lbs, and the other 37,400 lbs, not bad.

Great. Maybe they'll be able to tell you who might be in the market.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:47:50 PM UTC-4, Carl Ijames wrote:

125 feet per minute is 85 miles per hour, so having that laser head do 0-85

mph in random directions at random times over and over and over seems pretty

impressive to me.

-----

Regards,

Carl Ijames

Send me an email at dl caster 57 at yahoo. com I threw in some spaces to confuse any email address collecting bot.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:01:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

On 10/18/2014 2:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:*

Id be posting a Craigslist ad for them in North Dakota. Given their*

work size..they would be good lathes for oilfield work. Even if they*

dont cut to .0002..they would be suitable for oilcountry production*

*

Im assuming they are Spanish made based on the name. Nothing wrong*

with that btw. Good stuff.*

*

Gunner*

*

What's the difference between these and new? *How are they obsolete?*

Gee, Tom is asking questions and has finally started acting like an adult.. Go to yahoo, Google or MSN and type in four simple words: "3rd printing vs cnc"

I believe we will see convergence of the two in the kind of serious machining job shops I work with. Watch this:

http://youtu.be/s9IdZ2pI5dA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:47:50 PM UTC-4, Carl Ijames wrote:

125 feet per minute is 85 miles per hour, so having that laser head do 0-85

mph in random directions at random times over and over and over seems pretty

impressive to me.

Oh, boy, I didn't see that the first time. 125 feet per minute is
roughly 1.4 mph. g

It's still pretty impressive. You should see those things rip in thin
sheet steel.

--
Ed Huntress

-----

Regards,

Carl Ijames

Send me an email at dl caster 57 at yahoo. com I threw in some spaces to confuse any email address collecting bot.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Yes and?

Gunner

Gunner, if you'd read the prior responses closely, you'll notice one
responder referred to them as "lathes", even after seeing "vertical
machining center" plastered all over them.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in
:

125 feet per minute is 85 miles per hour,

really? You want to run those figures again? G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Duh, forgot to convert minutes to hours, sigh. I'm going back to sleep now
:-). I knew it sounded crazy.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

wrote:

On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:47:50 PM UTC-4, Carl Ijames wrote:

125 feet per minute is 85 miles per hour, so having that laser head do
0-85

mph in random directions at random times over and over and over seems
pretty

impressive to me.

Oh, boy, I didn't see that the first time. 125 feet per minute is
roughly 1.4 mph. g

It's still pretty impressive. You should see those things rip in thin
sheet steel.

--
Ed Huntress

-----

Regards,

Carl Ijames

Send me an email at dl caster 57 at yahoo. com I threw in some spaces
to confuse any email address collecting bot.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From: "Ed"
Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc