DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   center punch for psi testing (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/374179-center-punch-psi-testing.html)

[email protected] September 13th 14 05:14 AM

center punch for psi testing

I have some material I need to test for psi. I need to impact it in a way consistently to show difference between materials resistance to psi pressure. The manufacturer I work with demonstrates this with a center hole punch.. But I'm looking for something a little larger in impact area and that has some way to set the psi impact. Any ideas?

Jim Wilkins[_2_] September 13th 14 12:26 PM

wrote in message
I have some material I need to test for psi. I need to impact it in a
way consistently to show difference between materials resistance to
psi pressure. The manufacturer I work with demonstrates this with a
center hole punch. But I'm looking for something a little larger in
impact area and that has some way to set the psi impact. Any ideas?

==================

http://www.ptc1.com/steel_hardness_316.htm

http://www.instron.us/wa/application...s/brinell.aspx

I use a second-hand Scleroscope for steel and a durometer for soft
material.
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/scleroscope.htm

The Scleroscope reads correctly only on smooth flat surfaces of
relatively heavy objects.
-jsw

John B. slocomb September 13th 14 12:37 PM

center punch for psi testing

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 21:14:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have some material I need to test for psi. I need to impact it in a way consistently to show difference between materials resistance to psi pressure. The manufacturer I work with demonstrates this with a center hole punch. But I'm looking for something a little larger in impact area and that has some way to set the psi impact. Any ideas?

A Rockwell tester does it with a diamond point while other testers do
it with a small ball.
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] September 13th 14 09:41 PM

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:14:40 AM UTC, wrote:
I have some material I need to test for psi. I need to impact it in a way consistently to show difference between materials resistance to psi pressure. The manufacturer I work with demonstrates this with a center hole punch. But I'm looking for something a little larger in impact area and that has some way to set the psi impact. Any ideas?

I do not understand what you mean by psi. But my thoughts on a hardness tester would be to use a fairly small ball from a ball bearing. The balls are consistent in size, quite hard, and cheap. Put the ball on the material being tested and drop a weight through a tube on it. The tube would make sure the weight hit the ball and would ensure the height of the drop was consistent. Then measure the diameter of the mark on the material using an optic scale.

Dan

Phil Kangas[_4_] September 13th 14 11:58 PM

wrote in message
I have some material I need to test for psi. I
need to impact it in a way consistently to show
difference between materials resistance to psi
pressure. The manufacturer I work with
demonstrates this with a center hole punch. But
I'm looking for something a little larger in
impact area and that has some way to set the psi
impact. Any ideas?

Do a web search for 'brinell hardness tester' .
Here's the wiki page on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinell_scale