DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Intsresting Uddeholm knife/spring steel (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/374099-intsresting-uddeholm-knife-spring-steel.html)

Ignoramus13381 September 10th 14 01:28 AM

Intsresting Uddeholm knife/spring steel

A company gave me two crates of steel plates. Each is about 1mm thick
and about 8x16" in size (approximately).

All of those plates are heat treated deep blue and are made of some
interesting spring steel. They fold in half and spring back without
bending!

Made by Uddeholm company. Heat numbers and other numbers were not
coming up in searches.

I searched around for "Uddeholm" and found some expensive knifery.

Would anyone have any idea what kind of material is this. I am
definitely going to keep a few for myself, but also, I have a feeling
that they are too good to scrap. I am sure that you could make knives
from this material.

Ignoramus13381 September 10th 14 01:29 AM

Picture is he http://goo.gl/YwD0pn

http://goo.gl/YwD0pn

Ed Huntress September 10th 14 01:44 AM

Intsresting Uddeholm knife/spring steel

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 19:28:44 -0500, Ignoramus13381
wrote:

A company gave me two crates of steel plates. Each is about 1mm thick
and about 8x16" in size (approximately).

All of those plates are heat treated deep blue and are made of some
interesting spring steel. They fold in half and spring back without
bending!

Made by Uddeholm company. Heat numbers and other numbers were not
coming up in searches.

I searched around for "Uddeholm" and found some expensive knifery.

Would anyone have any idea what kind of material is this. I am
definitely going to keep a few for myself, but also, I have a feeling
that they are too good to scrap. I am sure that you could make knives
from this material.

Uddeholm makes a variety of specialty steels, including spring steels
and knife steels. Everything seems of be of very high quality --
arc-remelt, for the most part.

Here is some US contact info:

http://www.uddeholmstrip.com/u.lac.html

--
Ed Huntress

[email protected] September 10th 14 04:04 AM

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:28:44 AM UTC, Ignoramus13381 wrote:
A company gave me two crates of steel plates. Each is about 1mm thick

and about 8x16" in size (approximately).

All of those plates are heat treated deep blue and are made of some

interesting spring steel. They fold in half and spring back without

bending!

Made by Uddeholm company. Heat numbers and other numbers were not

coming up in searches.

I searched around for "Uddeholm" and found some expensive knifery.

Would anyone have any idea what kind of material is this. I am

definitely going to keep a few for myself, but also, I have a feeling

that they are too good to scrap. I am sure that you could make knives

from this material.

Do any of your local scrap yards have a xrf analyzer?

Dan

William Bagwell September 11th 14 12:15 PM

wrote:

I have a feeling
that they are too good to scrap. I am sure that you could make knives
from this material.

I have a feeling you are correct on both counts. Also have a friend who
is interested some of this and wants to know the best way to contact
you?

My 'Reply-To' is valid if you do not want to post a valid address here.
--
William

Ignoramus16602 September 11th 14 04:04 PM

Intsresting Uddeholm knife/spring steel

emailed

Bob Engelhardt September 11th 14 06:20 PM

Intsresting Uddeholm knife/spring steel

On 9/9/2014 8:28 PM, Ignoramus13381 wrote:
... Each is about 1mm thick ... I am sure that you could make knives
from this material.

It seems to me that 1 mm is pretty thin for a knife blade. What am
missing?

Bob