Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Big Forklift power steering problem, turns to one side only

I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:03:18 -0500, Ignoramus16252
wrote:

I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

The steering valve is malfunctioning (or shot)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

That unit will LIKELY use a manual box with a linkage mounted valve
like on a '63 Ford Galaxy etc -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:03:18 -0500, Ignoramus16252 wrote:

I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

AFAIK, power steering works by having the force transmitted through a set
of valves, that make the thing torque one way or the other depending on
how it's being pushed.

If the valve is clogged, or stuck, it would cause what you see.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/03/2014 4:28 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

AFAIK, power steering works by having the force transmitted through a set
of valves, that make the thing torque one way or the other depending on
how it's being pushed.

If the valve is clogged, or stuck, it would cause what you see.

Or the linkage broke...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-03, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:03:18 -0500, Ignoramus16252 wrote:

I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

AFAIK, power steering works by having the force transmitted through a set
of valves, that make the thing torque one way or the other depending on
how it's being pushed.

If the valve is clogged, or stuck, it would cause what you see.

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 17:06:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/03/2014 4:28 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

AFAIK, power steering works by having the force transmitted through a set
of valves, that make the thing torque one way or the other depending on
how it's being pushed.

If the valve is clogged, or stuck, it would cause what you see.

Or the linkage broke...

Or the cyl is bypassing in one direction (or one cyl is bypassing on
a dual cyl system (vs dual acting cyl)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/2/2014 10:03 PM, Ignoramus16252 wrote:
I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

Sounds to me a hose is pinched or a metal 'hose' is flat.
If you can turn one way, the pump and storage is valid and working.
Turning the other way is a valve, or hose issue.

All I can say - maybe a detachable hose snapped off.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16243 wrote:

On 2014-09-03, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Just be careful to check your hydraulic pressures, the hydraulic
steering systems often don't operate at the same pressure as the
hydraulics for the rest of the system, i.e. the mast.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, its scrap.

Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16243 wrote:

On 2014-09-03, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Pete, as far as I understand, the power steering hydraulic system is
completely separate from the hydraulics on the forklift lifting
system.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-04, Karl Townsend wrote:

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, its scrap.

Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

This is my second towmotor. I can get some parts. This hydraulic
steering replacement is a very universal item.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/4/2014 12:04 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, i
Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

Karl

In th elate 1960's I was designing and programming a certified payroll
system for a major construction company in Salem, Oregon. We were using
an IBM 1440 computer system at West Coast Grocery headquarters.

The grocery co. also did all the computer work for Towmotor. I remember
many trays of punched cards (aperture cards!) with windows in one half
of the cards. A microfilm of a drawing of a Towmotor part was glued into
the aperture card.

That is the only time I ever saw such cards in use.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-04, Karl Townsend wrote:

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, its scrap.

Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

This is my second towmotor. I can get some parts. This hydraulic
steering replacement is a very universal item.

Exactly, for much of these type of machines if you don't mind
fabricating a few brackets and whatnot you can retrofit off the shelf
modern parts into them and keep going. The hydraulic steering stuff is
readily available from SurplusCenter and others.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16243 wrote:

On 2014-09-03, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Good, if I recall the last hydraulic steering machine I worked on used
pressure from the charge pump to operate the steering and brakes, about
1/10 the pressure of the main hydraulics.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 16:32:52 -0500, "Pete C."

Ignoramus16243 wrote:

On 2014-09-03, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

The auto industry range was 1200-1800psi awhile back. I wonder if it
differs from industrial vehicles.

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:04:07 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, its scrap.

Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

Karl

A lot of their parts were "generic" or sourced from another standard
manufacturer. It was an "assembled" machine with virtually all of the
mechanicals sourced from other manufacturers and only the "Heavies"
actually made by "tow-motor"

Unlike Hyster and International and other "integrated" manufacturers
who made virtually every bolt and nut.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:21:28 -0500, Ignoramus18095

On 2014-09-04, Karl Townsend wrote:

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, its scrap.

Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

This is my second towmotor. I can get some parts. This hydraulic
steering replacement is a very universal item.

Likely fits an early Ford car or pickup truck too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16243 wrote:

On 2014-09-03, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

The old towmotors used automotive power steering pumps on most of
them - Some had the pump on the end of the generator- like on early
cadillacs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

Karl

A lot of their parts were "generic" or sourced from another standard
manufacturer. It was an "assembled" machine with virtually all of the
mechanicals sourced from other manufacturers and only the "Heavies"
actually made by "tow-motor"

Unlike Hyster and International and other "integrated" manufacturers
who made virtually every bolt and nut.

that's good to know. I'm sort of watching to replace my hyster with a
bad clutch. They don't sell parts for it.

Might even be a better situation than my old Ford tractors. The
collectors have got in the act and parts prices went through the roof.

At least when i go to the state fair and look at antique tractos, i
can say i still farm with that one.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-05, Karl Townsend wrote:

that's good to know. I'm sort of watching to replace my hyster with a
bad clutch. They don't sell parts for it.

You can rebuild a clutch, as far as I know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-05, Karl Townsend wrote:

that's good to know. I'm sort of watching to replace my hyster with a
bad clutch. They don't sell parts for it.

You can rebuild a clutch, as far as I know.

Rebuilding relies on being able to get parts, if the part was made
specifically for the unit and the manufacturer no longer supplies it you
may well be SOL. I suppose there is some slight potential to scavenge
friction pads from a similar clutch and retrofit them in, but likely
more trouble than it's worth. Some searching might find dusty NOS on a
shelf in some warehouse though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-05, Karl Townsend
wrote:

that's good to know. I'm sort of watching to replace my hyster
with a
bad clutch. They don't sell parts for it.

You can rebuild a clutch, as far as I know.

Rebuilding relies on being able to get parts, if the part was made
specifically for the unit and the manufacturer no longer supplies it
you
may well be SOL. I suppose there is some slight potential to
scavenge
friction pads from a similar clutch and retrofit them in, but likely
more trouble than it's worth. Some searching might find dusty NOS on
shelf in some warehouse though.

http://www.industrialbrakeclutch.com/
"We offer a wide variety of molded and woven friction material in
various widths and degrees of thickness to fit your application."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 11:52:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

On 2014-09-05, Karl Townsend
wrote:

that's good to know. I'm sort of watching to replace my hyster
with a
bad clutch. They don't sell parts for it.

You can rebuild a clutch, as far as I know.

http://www.industrialbrakeclutch.com/
"We offer a wide variety of molded and woven friction material in
various widths and degrees of thickness to fit your application."

Thanks for the lead. Still don't know if i'll risk it. The unit still
runs. Take it apart, break something you can't replace - FUBAR.

When its scrap it or fix it time, I'll take the chance.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 05:22:26 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

Karl

A lot of their parts were "generic" or sourced from another standard
manufacturer. It was an "assembled" machine with virtually all of the
mechanicals sourced from other manufacturers and only the "Heavies"
actually made by "tow-motor"

Unlike Hyster and International and other "integrated" manufacturers
who made virtually every bolt and nut.

that's good to know. I'm sort of watching to replace my hyster with a
bad clutch. They don't sell parts for it.

Might even be a better situation than my old Ford tractors. The
collectors have got in the act and parts prices went through the roof.

At least when i go to the state fair and look at antique tractos, i
can say i still farm with that one.

karl

And at least for the farm tractors the parts ARE available. Even a
lot of aftermarket repop parts. When there is a big enough market,
someone will fill the demand.

A clutch rebuilder should be able to mix/match/rebuild your Hyster
clutch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:09:58 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2014-09-04, Karl Townsend wrote:

I bought an all-hydraulic replacement for this system today. It was at
some point damaged by water and rust and was beyond repair.

glad you can find parts.

i have an old hyster, no parts available. When it breaks, its scrap.

Got a DEAL on an international backhoe. Found out i couldn't get parts
so i sent it on down the road before i got caught with it.

I'm surprised you can get anything for a tow motor.

This is my second towmotor. I can get some parts. This hydraulic
steering replacement is a very universal item.

Likely fits an early Ford car or pickup truck too.

Highly unlikely and not street legal. Iggy is talking about an
all-hydraulic steering system as typically found on construction
equipment. No mechanical link between the steering wheel and the wheels,
just hydraulic hoses.

If it is a full power steering unit instead of a power assist, the
job gets a LOT easier. Lots of "generic" parts availability.
I thought he said it had a steering box AND external cyls.
He did say he COULD steer it, but it took a lot of force the one way.
With a full power system you cannot "armstrong" it.With a power assist
you can - which also led me to believe he was talking about the power
ASSISTED steering system
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-04, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

From what I gather the original was a power assist system that was
rusted to death, and his replacement for it is a full hydraulic system
with off the shelf new parts. For a slow moving off-road machine full
hydraulic is nice and simple.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 13:04:11 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2014-09-04, Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

From what I gather the original was a power assist system that was
rusted to death, and his replacement for it is a full hydraulic system
with off the shelf new parts. For a slow moving off-road machine full
hydraulic is nice and simple.

True
The power assist system would have been more complex, but parts to
retrofit a linkage assist system are still generally available too.

assist systems are also quite easy to retrofit - (column power assist
- using rotary hydraulic servos -also known as "orbitals" (eaton
CharLynn)

Classic Performance Parts in Buena Park (Placentia) California makes a
complete kit to retrofit power assist to the old F100 that could be
modified/adapted to just about any stanard steering system on a
tractor etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.industrialbrakeclutch.com/
"We offer a wide variety of molded and woven friction material in
various widths and degrees of thickness to fit your application."

Thanks for the lead. Still don't know if i'll risk it. The unit
still
runs. Take it apart, break something you can't replace - FUBAR.

When its scrap it or fix it time, I'll take the chance.

karl

Google "reline clutch". That was the first of a page full.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks for the lead. Still don't know if i'll risk it. The unit
still
runs. Take it apart, break something you can't replace - FUBAR.

When its scrap it or fix it time, I'll take the chance.

karl

I know, I just bought brass bar stock and large carbon brushes to
machine a new brush assembly for my 20A Variac, rather than risk the
original.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 5:03:18 AM UTC+2, Ignoramus16252 wrote:
I have an older Towmotor 30,000 lbs forklift.

It does have power steering where a hydraulic cylinder provides
assistance. It has a power steering gearbox of unknown (to me)
construction.

The problem that it has developed is that power steering works great
when I turn steering wheel to the left, and it does not work when I
attempt to turn it right. Instead, turning right requires an enormous
effort.

What could the problem be here, thanks. Maybe there are some valves in
the power steering gearbox that malfunction?

Hi All We just restored a 1985 TCM FG 30 Petrol Forklift. Replaced all the hydrualic hoses and repaired the pumps. But the Steering only turns to the Right Side but when we try to turn left the wheels stands still. Any Sugestions to a sulution.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 21:45:18 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 06:47:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

either bad control valve or a bypass in the cyl. I'd be betting on
the control valve.

Ayup. Doubt a cylinder bypass would do that. Sounds like the control
valve for steering may be connected wrong. Check the In port and the
two Out ports, then check to make sure that you are actually getting
fluid out each out port. Just crack the fitting at the turn cylinder a
smidge and crank right and left. Hummm...could..could be an air
block..and if so..cracking each fitting will bleed it out.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My post was from four years ago.

We ended up throwing out the whole power steering system and replaced
it with a Orbitrol PS control, life could not be better after
this. 30,000 forklift can be steered with a pinky finger.

Cool!

---

Anyone know anything about power steering on a backhoe? justme[_2_] Metalworking 25 November 16th 17 01:32 AM
Power steering experience Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 4 October 1st 12 05:46 PM
Strange problem with power steering/suspension NoSpam UK diy 4 November 15th 06 10:16 PM
Power Steering Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 02:56 PM
TV power problem, relay clicks, only turns on when you hit it [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 30th 06 11:51 PM