Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How The A-10 Warthog Became 'The Most Survivable Plane Ever Built'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73IyO1Qdqo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:04:00 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73IyO1Qdqo

Cool. Loves me some Warthog
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, August 22, 2014 5:59:32 PM UTC-7, Rex wrote:
On Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:04:00 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73IyO1Qdqo

Cool. Loves me some Warthog

It's a national treasure. The Air Force wants to kill it:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...-bu-1562789528
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/23/2014 5:19 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Friday, August 22, 2014 5:59:32 PM UTC-7, Rex wrote:
On Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:04:00 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73IyO1Qdqo

Cool. Loves me some Warthog

It's a national treasure. The Air Force wants to kill it:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...-bu-1562789528

This airframe should be kept. I'd say a wing of them for special ops.
They are special and maybe 30 kept with the 270 or so kept for parts.
Keep troops trained as pilots and ground advisers if needed.

Simply cost effective. If a central American country goes wacko or some
people within do it might be just the trick. A billion dollar machine
that flies to fast and can't turn or hide isn't needed.

Seems like they, the DOD, thinks we can fight a war sitting on our sofa
waiting for updates.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/24/2014 1:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 23:25:08 -0500,
wrote:

On 8/23/2014 9:48 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

Personally, I think the entire fleet should be transferred to the Army.
They LOVE that ugly thing.
At least the guys on the ground do.

Air Force still seems to want billion dollar super jets.

Their heyday was before the proliferation of MANPADS.

Yeah. But how do we provide air support for mud crawlers?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Based on what we've just been doing in Iraq, it looks like we're
optining for surveilance drones, spotters on the ground, and smart
bombs from 40,000 feet.

If it were me, I'd built a huge fleet of decoy "drones" that look real
but which are nothing more than big model airplanes. Let the ISIS
fighters shoot their limited supply of MANPADS at them.

I've read that they have American-made MANPADS, but they're probably
not the latest stuff. Still, at 10,000 feet, they can raise hell.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You know we gave the Afgans Stingers way back when they were fighting
the Russians. Looks like they learned the leson very well.

And the big model decoy idea is inspired.
I can write up a grant proposal for it, if you like.
Get a few million for development money?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hell yes!!!!

Air Force still seems to want billion dollar super jets.

Tech wienies are like that. Good folks if you have deep pockets

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If I did, I'd retire right now. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Lots and lots of aluminized mylar following edges to beef up the
return size..make em look like real aircraft.

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 9:25:08 PM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
[...]

The Joint Strike Fighter Is A Lemon. Stealth doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQB4W8C0rZI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/24/2014 5:57 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote:

You know we gave the Afgans Stingers way back when they were
fighting
the Russians. Looks like they learned the leson very well.

And the big model decoy idea is inspired.
I can write up a grant proposal for it, if you like.
Get a few million for development money?

Lots and lots of aluminized mylar following edges to beef up the
return size..make em look like real aircraft.

Google "C130 flares" images.

The recent ones aren't infrared nor radar-guided. They're laser-beam
riders and are all but impossible to jam.

The Brits make the most advanced ones, called "Starstreak." American
Stingers are still IR, now combined with radar, but are much more
advanced and harder to jam, than the ones used in Afghanistan.

I haven't heard any details about the ones ISIS has, but they're going
to be a threat to any low-flying ground support aircraft.

So laser guided means they shoot manually - at a visual target.
IS there a laser range finer in there somewhere?
If not, it's a great way to make them waste expensive ordinance.
And in the process of shooting, they give away their location.
I like it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 21:48:13 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On 8/23/2014 5:19 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Friday, August 22, 2014 5:59:32 PM UTC-7, Rex wrote:
On Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:04:00 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73IyO1Qdqo

Cool. Loves me some Warthog

It's a national treasure. The Air Force wants to kill it:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...-bu-1562789528

This airframe should be kept. I'd say a wing of them for special ops.
They are special and maybe 30 kept with the 270 or so kept for parts.
Keep troops trained as pilots and ground advisers if needed.

Simply cost effective. If a central American country goes wacko or some
people within do it might be just the trick. A billion dollar machine
that flies to fast and can't turn or hide isn't needed.

Seems like they, the DOD, thinks we can fight a war sitting on our sofa
waiting for updates.

The Warthog has been updated and is proving itself over and over again
in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Air National Guard and Air
Force Reserves, and the Army are all asking for the existing A-10s.
Everybody (public, too) but the Air Force loves the hell out of 'em.

The plane they propose to replace it with costs $342 million each.
The Warthog costs $11.8 million each. WTF,O?

The A-10 is being removed from service due to cost savings?!?
Follow the money, guys...

P.S: Maybe the Taliban asked Barry nicely to end their service...

--
The unexamined life is not worth living.
--Socrates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I love how Larry Jackass tells everyone not to engage me but then gets involved in threads I start.

Larry Jackass is worthless **** who can't take his own advice but expects others to.

Larry Jackass is a friend of adult babies who want a nanny.

**** Larry Jackass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You didn't "start" a thread, dimwit. You posted a link with no
comment.

So, are you taking credit for what someone else put together, now?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think you'd better read up on the beam-guided weapons. They require
a lot of training, but there's no current way to jam them.They're
quite sophisticated.

As for "giving away their location," that's how we guide a lot of
smart bombs and rockets -- from the ground. It's not easy to see.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:28:16 -0700
It's a national treasure. The Air Force wants to kill it:
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...-bu-1562789528
This airframe should be kept. I'd say a wing of them for special ops.
They are special and maybe 30 kept with the 270 or so kept for parts.
Keep troops trained as pilots and ground advisers if needed.

You need more of them than that. It is Close Air Support.
Something which you need right now, not in twenty minutes. "If I
wanted it in twenty minutes, I would have asked for it in twenty
minutes!"

I am reminded of a story form the Korean war, to the effect that
the Air Force jets would check in with the FAC (Forward Air Controller
- the target designator) and tell him "I've got a couple bombs and
twenty minutes." Meanwhile,the Navy/Marines in the A-1 (Later known
as the Sandy) would check in with "I've got bombs, rockets and about
an hour and a half to kill."

Simply cost effective. If a central American country goes wacko or some
people within do it might be just the trick. A billion dollar machine
that flies to fast and can't turn or hide isn't needed.

Seems like they, the DOD, thinks we can fight a war sitting on our sofa
waiting for updates.

Yep.
http://www.military.com/video/off-duty/humor/drone-operator-vs-vista-support/663148157001/

Personally, I think the entire fleet should be transferred to the Army.
They LOVE that ugly thing.
At least the guys on the ground do.

Hell yes!!!!

Air Force still seems to want billion dollar super jets.

Tech wienies are like that. Good folks if you have deep pockets

The Air Force is still enamored of the FB-111 concept: One plane
to do it all - badly.

I'm not too positive about these numbers, but ---

F35 $98 to 116 million per aircraft
F22 $420 million per plane

Ed Heinemann's little A4 hot-rod - $1 million per aircraft - in 1954
dollars.

Do you think 420 A4s could defeat a single F22?

I certainly do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Typical slow Eddy bull****. Slow Eddy lied when he said he put me in his killfile a short time ago. slow Eddy has made this claim many times over the years. Slow Eddy can't be trusted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I found another site with military manuals online:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Amilitary-manuals&sort=-publicdate&page=1

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:29:01 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

That is an interesting statement. I was in the FB-111 test program and
what SAC was saying at that time was that they had asked for a
racehorse and been given a donkey.

The Navy escaped from the F-111 fiasco by demonstrating that the F
couldn't operate off existing carriers because of too high a "Wind
over the deck" requirement and the Australian test team refused to
continue with the tests after they blew the bomb doors open while
supersonic when they fired the bomb bay mounted gatling gun.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

But..but..but...Its COOL!!

--
pyotr filipivich

"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go
around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Hush, who cares what you found. You high all the time stuck in a wheelchair 24/7.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:10:54 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:

[...]

So. '60s era jets lost the Vietnam war. Anyway, what would Hein think about this:

-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtGBrIYyIVk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry keeps screaming about he's from Medford. Medford, Medford, Medford, Medford. So what? Medford. What goes on there?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. Slocomb on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:35:01
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
Gunner Asch on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:28:16 -0700
It's a national treasure. The Air Force wants to kill it:
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...-bu-1562789528
This airframe should be kept. I'd say a wing of them for special ops.
They are special and maybe 30 kept with the 270 or so kept for parts.
Keep troops trained as pilots and ground advisers if needed.

You need more of them than that. It is Close Air Support.
Something which you need right now, not in twenty minutes. "If I
wanted it in twenty minutes, I would have asked for it in twenty
minutes!"
I am reminded of a story from the Korean war, to the effect that
[...]

The pilots might have thought that, but the Aardvark seem to have
been the only other "Fighter" - after the ME110 - which needed a
fighter escort. The powers which be wanted one aircraft which could
deliver bombs, launch stand off ordnance, and fire missiles to shoot
down intercepting aircraft. What they got was an big compromise,
which didn't really have the payload, couldn't maneuver to save its
life (not compared to the OpFor) and had so many problems with the
"innovations" that it really wasn't good for more than garnering votes
in Congress.
The techno-weenies all have "feature creepism". It is why you
can't get "just a cellphone", software which just types up letters and
reports, cars without "onboard entertainment systems", fighter
aircraft which are optimized for that role, Windows 8, etc, etc.

The Air Force main mission is to fly aircraft any where they want
to go. Purpose designed aircraft - like the F-16, A-10, the B2 -
work. Trying to modify fighters so that they can also do CAS makes as
much sense as trying to modify the A-10 so that it can intercept
fighters.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/25/2014 8:11 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 8/25/2014 7:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
ll****. Slow Eddy lied when he said he put me in his killfile a short
time ago.

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go
around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

So plonk him, already!

The only time I see his drivel is when others waste their time trying to
reason with him.

David

+2 for David, Ed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry Jackass can't get over that he was forced to leave Vista, CA and blames it on illegal Mexicans.

Larry Jackass is a pathetic piece of **** who has spent most of his life being a drunk. What little he has left for a brain is now pickled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 25, 2014 6:11:15 PM UTC-7, David R. Birch wrote:
On 8/25/2014 7:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

ll****. Slow Eddy lied when he said he put me in his killfile a short

time ago.

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go

around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

So plonk him, already!

The only time I see his drivel is when others waste their time trying to

reason with him.

David

Thank goodness I and others shut David R. Bitch up with his bull**** on Solidworks. He hasn't said a word about SolidWorks since. David R. Bitch has no clue how to use SolidWorks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 25, 2014 5:53:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Huntress lied:

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go

around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

--

Ed Huntress

You lie all the time, slow Eddy. What you wrote above is a lie. I've nailed you on your lies for years. Good thing Mark Wieber lies more frequently and far worse than you do. Now go do what you do best and write some worthless ad copy for a paying advertiser and pretend it's objective.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 25, 2014 3:09:00 PM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
On 8/25/2014 8:11 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

On 8/25/2014 7:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

ll****. Slow Eddy lied when he said he put me in his killfile a short

time ago.

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go

around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

So plonk him, already!

The only time I see his drivel is when others waste their time trying to

reason with him.

David

+2 for David, Ed.

I doubt David R. Bitch can count that high.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 20:52:43 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Monday, August 25, 2014 5:53:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Huntress lied:

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go

around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

--

Ed Huntress

You lie all the time, slow Eddy. What you wrote above is a lie. I've nailed you on your lies for years. Good thing Mark Wieber lies more frequently and far worse than you do. Now go do what you do best and write some worthless ad copy for a paying advertiser and pretend it's objective.

'Looks like Jon is off his meds again.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:09:00 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 8/25/2014 8:11 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 8/25/2014 7:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
ll****. Slow Eddy lied when he said he put me in his killfile a short
time ago.

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go
around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

So plonk him, already!

The only time I see his drivel is when others waste their time trying to
reason with him.

David

+2 for David, Ed.

All right, all right. I'm not going to plonk him, but I will ignore
him as much as possible. I just don't want to miss it when his head
explodes. d8-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Monday, August 25, 2014 5:53:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Huntress lied:

I never said you were in my killfile. I just said I wasn't going to go

around in circles and argue with you.

You're a childish, insulting idiot, Jon. That's the bottom line.

--

Ed Huntress

You lie all the time, slow Eddy. What you wrote above is a lie. I've nailed you on your lies for years. Good thing Mark Wieber lies more frequently and far worse than you do. Now go do what you do best and write some worthless ad copy for a paying advertiser and pretend it's objective.

'Looks like Jon is off his meds again.

--

Ed Huntress

I see slow Eddy still can't keep his word about putting me in his kill file.. That's no surprise to me.