Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Index 645 mill - spindle won't reverse

My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor. It always worked fine but now it the
spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be
safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone
give some hints on what to look for? Any common
failures for this type of setup?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"asdfasdf" wrote in message
My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor. It always worked fine but now it the
spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be
safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone
give some hints on what to look for? Any common
failures for this type of setup?

You've lost a winding or an input phase is missing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-11, asdfasdf wrote:
My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor.

What do you mean by "non-rotary converter"? I can think of two
types (since the presence of some form of converter implies a
three-phase motor) :

1) The so-called "static" converters, which simply include a
capacitor and relay to start the motor spinning, after which it
just runs off the single phase. (You lose a bit of torque/HP
that way, but it works most of the time).

2) A VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) -- an electronic box which
takes the single phase and generates three phase from it.

Would it reverse at speed, or did you have to stop it before you
could reverse it? If so, it sounds like you have a static converter,
not a VFD.

Anyway -- are there relays involved in the reversing (either
controlled by pushbuttons or rotary switches), or just a direct
connection to a "drum switch"?

A VFD really does the reversing by itself with a small switch
input, but it might be wired with the heavy pushbuttons or a drum switch
to give the commands.

If the static converter Look for a wire which feeds to one of
the phases of the motor which is not being connected in the reverse
position. This could be loose screws (from vibration over the years) or
oxidized contacts on the relays which switch the power to the motor.

If a VFD -- look for a wire from the switch to the VFD to give
the "reverse" command which has broken or come unconnected.

It always worked fine but now it the
spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be
safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone
give some hints on what to look for? Any common
failures for this type of setup?

Well ... I've tried to cover both likely setups, since I don't
know what your machine has -- nor whether it was standard with the
Index machine, or an add-on.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-11, asdfasdf wrote:
My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor. It always worked fine but now it the
spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be
safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone
give some hints on what to look for? Any common
failures for this type of setup?

Are you saying that the motor starts in forward, but not in reverse?

Does it hum but not start in reverse?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-11, asdfasdf wrote:
My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor. It always worked fine but now it the
spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be
safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone
give some hints on what to look for? Any common
failures for this type of setup?

Are you saying that the motor starts in forward, but not in reverse?

Does it hum but not start in reverse?

I don't hear a hum. Just seems totally dead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-11, asdfasdf wrote:
My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor.

What do you mean by "non-rotary converter"? I can think of two
types (since the presence of some form of converter implies a
three-phase motor) :

snip
Well ... I've tried to cover both likely setups, since I don't
know what your machine has -- nor whether it was standard with the
Index machine, or an add-on.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Mine would be static based on your description. Thanks for the
detailed information!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-11, asdfasdf wrote:
My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and
runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary
convertor. It always worked fine but now it the
spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be
safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone
give some hints on what to look for? Any common
failures for this type of setup?

Are you saying that the motor starts in forward, but not in reverse?

Does it hum but not start in reverse?

I don't hear a hum. Just seems totally dead.

Bad switch contact.

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Btw...these including the mill..are for sale.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/UplandFab

Cheap

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."

Pictures of the Wells-Index mill Ignoramus17616 Metalworking 7 August 31st 09 12:32 AM
FS -- Wells-Index 747 mill, Chicagoland Ignoramus30151 Metalworking 15 August 30th 09 02:33 AM
Index brand mill Jeff Metalworking 5 January 26th 06 06:20 AM
Index Mill Question jdk Metalworking 2 October 11th 05 03:02 AM
moving wells index mill with forklift [email protected] Metalworking 25 February 4th 05 05:55 AM