Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly off-topic - Hydraulic hose crimping

Hi all -

I looked for a newsgroup about hydraulics but didn't find one... so here
we are...

We are in the process of repairing a truck mounted hydraulic crane (an
old power company rig that digs holes, sets poles and generally does
lots of stuff).

Yesterday I replaced two of the approximately 3,218 hydraulic hoses on
the rig and paid about $100 for them. Since there will be more hoses to
replace as we get into the project (and we also have a backhoe with
aging hoses that will need some attention in the future) we are
considering getting the tooling to do our own hoses.

The crimping machines seem godawful expensive - and there seem to be two
or three manufacturers (Parker, Weatherhead, Gates, etc.) with
apparently incompatible fittings and crimping dies...

Is tooling up for what we want to do reasonable for the amount of hoses
we will be making or is it more cost effective to run down to the auto
parts and have them made for us as needed?

Anybody do/done this and have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

Carla

Pick at random any three letters from the alphabet, put them in any
order, and you will have an acronym designating a federal agency we can
do without. Milton Friedman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2014 10:09 AM, Carla Fong wrote:
[...]

You didn't really say how many hoses you expect to make in the end.
If your project will be a lot initially and then only an occasional
hose, you could buy a crimping machine, possibly even used, make all
the hoses you need, then sell the crimper. After that, pay the $50 for
the occasional crimp job.
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 08:09:23 -0700, Carla Fong
wrote:

[...]

You are going to need to crimp a LOT of hose to make buying a Parker
Hannefin crimper anything close to affordable!!!! However, there are
hand operated units that could make sense - particularly if only 1 or
2 different size dies are required. What does it cost to have an end
installed (not counting the end)? How many ends? Not hard to figure
out how much you can afford to spend on a crimper and still come out
ahead
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Greetings Carla,
I have made up a lot of hydraulic hoses using the fittings that screw
into the hose. The fittings are more expensive than crimp fittings but
you don't need a special machine to use them. You can use a lathe or a
pipe threading machine to screw the fittings into the hoses if you
are making up a lot of hoses. The fittings are re-usable so if a hose
gets damaged you just unscrew the fitting from the old hose and put it
on the new hose. See this link:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/h...e-fitting.html
It explains how to install them and shows what they look like.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was going to suggest this.

Additionally, where did you get the hoses made? Many auto parts stores
make hydraulic hoses, the various Parker stores do, and plenty of
others. Also if you have any friends that work at a place that services
fleets of utility trucks or many industrial places you can probably
borrow time with their crimper. Just buy the fittings and hose, pre-cut
the hose to length and then visit the friend for a crimping party and
bring pizza or something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can rent those things, but you will also need to buy a huge
variety of fittings. It is a pain in the butt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/14/2014 10:09 AM, Carla Fong wrote:

We are in the process of repairing a truck mounted hydraulic crane (an
old power company rig that digs holes, sets poles and generally does
lots of stuff).

Yesterday I replaced two of the approximately 3,218 hydraulic hoses on
the rig and paid about $100 for them. Since there will be more hoses to
replace as we get into the project (and we also have a backhoe with
aging hoses that will need some attention in the future) we are
considering getting the tooling to do our own hoses.

Is tooling up for what we want to do reasonable for the amount of hoses
we will be making or is it more cost effective to run down to the auto
parts and have them made for us as needed?

It's going to be pretty pricey one way or t'other--the only thing would
be if you do buy tooling you have the possibility of recouping some of
that cost later if you were able to resell it.

Depending on the length and size of the two you had made that sounds
either about right, maybe, on cost or expensive...I'd check around
locally for who else besides an auto parts place is handy -- ag
dealerships or custom hydraulics repair guys may be significantly better
deals as they do more routinely than any NAPA or the like I've ever seen.

We've got a zillion hoses here on farm plus I have a 40-ft JLG manlift
that like your rig is a veritable forest of hydraulics and I still just
use the locals; don't think the overhead is justified. Then again, I've
not and don't intend to do any that don't or are obviously ready to fail
except when they individually are needed; wouldn't consider on any of
the gear here that wholesale replacement is needed. If it were, might
change the thought process.

It's one of the few things I've not searched eBay for -- what luck you
might find on recycled tooling there at reasonable prices I've no klew,
but I'd surely be looking if were in the market.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't forget to add the time to go down to the local store as part of your
cost for having replacements made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

A quick ebay and craigslist search seems to indicate you can get a used
name brand unit in the $1k-$1.5k range. Might need to buy some dies as
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Carla,

I forget where you are located, but if it's in Canada, then try
Princess Auto. They make custom hoses on-site. Having then do it
will also provide a modicum of scare relief too.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2014 12:34 PM, Pete C. wrote:

dpb wrote:

[...]

You will also need to buy a 500 ft roll of each size and pressure hose
you will need. And boxes of 5 to 20 of each style fitting.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:21:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Don't forget to add the time to go down to the local store as part of your
cost for having replacements made.

But there is the off-setting cost of eating the mistakes.
If you order correctly, and the assembly is wrong
[length/fittings/hose], most places will make it right at no
cost.

There is also a learning curve, and the procedure is not as
simple as it seems. [it never is] you will generate some
scrap learning the tricks/process. One of the tricks is to
make the longer hoses first, so you can cut them down to
repair the errors.

FWIW: cut-rate hose and fittings almost never save any money
in the long run when you are making assemblies for your own
use. The loss from any down time far offsets any savings.

A suggestion: Make a list of ALL the assemblies you will
need and take the list to several dealers, with the
understanding you don't need these as a rush job. They will
be able to use these orders as fill-ins to even their
workloads, so you should get a better price. You have
enough equipment that establishing a long-term supplier
relationship should be profitable for both of you.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DTJ DTJ is offline

On 14-Jul-14 11:09 PM, Carla Fong wrote:
[...]

Others may have mentioned this:

20 years ago I did a hydraulics course. There are fittings that screw
together and do not need crimping. Many of them are also re-usable.

The fittings probably cost more than the crimp style ones.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi all -

I looked for a newsgroup about hydraulics but didn't find one... so here
we are...

We are in the process of repairing a truck mounted hydraulic crane (an
old power company rig that digs holes, sets poles and generally does
lots of stuff).

Yesterday I replaced two of the approximately 3,218 hydraulic hoses on

Izzat about a hunnerd?

the rig and paid about $100 for them. Since there will be more hoses to
replace as we get into the project (and we also have a backhoe with
aging hoses that will need some attention in the future) we are
considering getting the tooling to do our own hoses.

Getting or fabbing, Carla?

The crimping machines seem godawful expensive - and there seem to be two
or three manufacturers (Parker, Weatherhead, Gates, etc.) with
apparently incompatible fittings and crimping dies...

Yes, they are.

Is tooling up for what we want to do reasonable for the amount of hoses
we will be making or is it more cost effective to run down to the auto
parts and have them made for us as needed?

I've always gone to the NAPA a/p for hyd hoses, but those were
one-offs.

Anybody do/done this and have any words of wisdom?

Buying all the dies might cost you as much as NAPA, but if you can fab
most of them and use them in a 10k portapower or beefier press, you
might be spending a whole lot less money. Then again, trial and error
will cost you, too. Why not pick another pair and try to fab dies for
whatever press you have? That's probably the way to go, if you have
unlimited time and limited money.

DO let us know what you end up with, por favor.

Pick at random any three letters from the alphabet, put them in any
order, and you will have an acronym designating a federal agency we can
do without. Milton Friedman

Ain't dat de trufe? sigh

--
Liberalism is a pathology.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don't fix it if it's not broken.

Carla

Pick at random any three letters from the alphabet, put them in any order,
and you will have an acronym designating a federal agency we can do
without. Milton Friedman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Buying all the dies might cost you as much as NAPA, but if you can fab
most of them and use them in a 10k portapower or beefier press, you
might be spending a whole lot less money. Then again, trial and error
will cost you, too. Why not pick another pair and try to fab dies for
whatever press you have? That's probably the way to go, if you have
unlimited time and limited money.

I might consider buying the official dies I needed and fabbing the rest
of the setup to use in a regular hydraulic H press.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/15/2014 5:30 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Buying all the dies might cost you as much as NAPA, but if you can fab
most of them and use them in a 10k portapower or beefier press, you
might be spending a whole lot less money. Then again, trial and error
will cost you, too. Why not pick another pair and try to fab dies for
whatever press you have? That's probably the way to go, if you have
unlimited time and limited money.

I might consider buying the official dies I needed and fabbing the rest
of the setup to use in a regular hydraulic H press.

OK gang, thanks for all the great advice.

It's pretty obvious that with our NAPA store about 3 blocks away and the
relatively small number of hoses we will need that having NAPA make our
hoses as needed is the best route for our needs.

When you factor in buying a lot more hose than we'll need for the
foreseeable future, add an inventory of connectors and then buying or
fabbing a crimping machine it just doesn't pencil out for our volume.

Thank you again - you saved us a ton of $$$$...

Carla

It's all fun and games until she asks if you've ever seen "The Crying Game."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 14, 2014 10:23:05 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Liberalism is a pathology.

Pathology's definition is the study of disease.

So Liberalism is "the study of disease" according to you?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:17:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.3.70...

fired this volley in news:0c6adde5-f3a2-453b-948f-
:

So Liberalism is "the study of disease" according to you?

Bad misuse of the term... it should have said, "pathological condition".

But, given its misuse, it would read better if it said, "Liberalism is a
study IN the science of pathology."

Lloyd

================================================= =============

Which must make conservatism a study in the science of paleofantasy...

Or it is a "pathogen"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:17:39 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Uh, Loud. You and Larry aren't fooling a soul. Just admit it. Larry
accidentally told the truth.

Ah... figured out that the faggot is using a new pseudonym.

PLONK!

It's about _time_!

P.S: I modified the guy's quote for yas.

--
Liberalism is the result of severe pathogens in our society.