DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Caulk or sealant (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/372547-caulk-sealant.html)

Pilgrim July 13th 14 02:47 AM

Caulk or sealant

Does anyone know of a caulk or sealant that will adhere to stainless
steel, such as that in a dishwasher?

Thanks, CP

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 13th 14 03:05 AM

Caulk or sealant

Pilgrim fired this volley in news:pilgrim-
:

Does anyone know of a caulk or sealant that will adhere to stainless
steel, such as that in a dishwasher?

Thanks, CP

If you're willing to slightly rough up the surface, most any silicone
caulk will stick.

However, I'm really partial to Lexel clear polyacrylate sealant. It
darned near will stick to a pat of butter, and is very strong and
flexible when dry. It will even adhere pretty strongly to sanded PTFE.

It is solvent-based, so it will shrink some with drying, but not more
than about 30%.

Lloyd

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 13th 14 03:19 AM

Caulk or sealant

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Pilgrim fired this volley in news:pilgrim-
:

Does anyone know of a caulk or sealant that will adhere to stainless
steel, such as that in a dishwasher?

Thanks, CP

If you're willing to slightly rough up the surface, most any silicone
caulk will stick.

However, I'm really partial to Lexel clear polyacrylate sealant. It
darned near will stick to a pat of butter, and is very strong and
flexible when dry. It will even adhere pretty strongly to sanded
PTFE.

It is solvent-based, so it will shrink some with drying, but not more
than about 30%.

Lloyd

Everything Lloyd said plus it's good for repairing loose shoe soles .

--
Snag

DTJ July 13th 14 04:51 AM

Caulk or sealant

On 13-Jul-14 9:47 AM, Pilgrim wrote:
Does anyone know of a caulk or sealant that will adhere to stainless
steel, such as that in a dishwasher?

Thanks, CP

Sikaflex 291 - its a marine sealant. Comes in small tubes as well as
cartidges - its a polyurethane adhesive sealant - its tough, flexible &
sticks very well.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8Q FjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusa.sika.com%2Fdms%2Fgetdocu ment.get%2F006a239b-1e1a-3eab-a634-6c9b773cacf4%2Fipd-pds-sikaflex291-us.pdf&ei=5QHCU62ZKYjMkwXfuICgCw&usg=AFQjCNHQrTR_c kv-ikBux949oVtrK9AFqQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.dGI&cad=rja

Gunner Asch[_6_] July 18th 14 06:57 PM

Caulk or sealant

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 18:47:15 -0700, Pilgrim
wrote:

Does anyone know of a caulk or sealant that will adhere to stainless
steel, such as that in a dishwasher?

Thanks, CP

3M 5200

Works fine. Not sure how well it will work in a HOT dishwasher though

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."