Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
r11 r11 is offline

Default Qty 1 1/8" BB :)

Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/7/2014 11:11 AM, r11 wrote:
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

Ball bearing. You do have a box of assorted bearings somewhere, don't
you? G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:11:45 -0700 (PDT), r11
wrote:

Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

Got a kids bb gun?

-

"[F]ar from being the Great Satan, I would say that we
are the Great Protector. We have sent men and women
from the armed forces of the United States to other parts
of the world throughout the past century to put down oppression.
We defeated Fascism. We defeated Communism.
We saved Europe in World War I and World War II.
We were willing to do it, glad to do it. We went to
Korea. We went to Vietnam. All in the interest of
preserving the rights of people.

And when all those conflicts were over, what did we
do? Did we stay and conquer? Did we say, "Okay, we
defeated Germany. Now Germany belongs to us? We defeated Japan,
so Japan belongs to us"? No. What did we do?
We built them up. We gave them democratic systems which
they have embraced totally to their soul.
And did we ask for any land? No.

The only land we ever asked for was
enough land to bury our dead."

General Colin Powell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
r11 r11 is offline

Therein lies the problem - my metalworking shop has great variety of many things, but no 1/8" ball bearings

I have some bearings, that I could crack open, but I dont know the size of BBs in there ... No BB gun either

I guess I'd have to spring for 500 pack, but what am I going to do with the 499 remaining BBs ? Such a waste
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

r11 wrote:
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

fastener drawers at the hardware store.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Go to the bike shop. They may give you one or, at the worst, make you buy a
10 pack.

Paul K. Dickman

"r11" wrote in message
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me
Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole
pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 7, 2014 8:11:45 AM UTC-7, r11 wrote:
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

I like the bike shop idea, but Hitachi is more likely to have used a 3mm ball.
Measure carefully, if there's any more of 'em in the chuck for reference.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 7, 2014 3:11:45 PM UTC, r11 wrote:
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

If you are close to a MSC store, you can get 500 carbon steel for about $2.25 delivered to your store. Or 100 chrome steel for about the same price. My catalog is a few years old so the prices are approx.

Or you could go to walmart and get genuine BB's.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in news:9a0c9108-
:

Or you could go to walmart and get genuine BB's.

but they're .177, not .125. He asked for 1/8"
Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/7/2014 11:42 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 7/7/2014 11:11 AM, r11 wrote:
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me
Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a
whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

Ball bearing. You do have a box of assorted bearings somewhere, don't
you? G

That is some large BB. 1.125" I'd think one could buy them in much
smaller sets - due to size - No one wants a bag of 100 of those! Much
less 500.

I'd check - likely a small charge for a smaller lot.

Martin - check mscdirect.com as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/7/2014 1:06 PM, r11 wrote:
Therein lies the problem - my metalworking shop has great variety of many things, but no 1/8" ball bearings

I have some bearings, that I could crack open, but I dont know the size of BBs in there ... No BB gun either

I guess I'd have to spring for 500 pack, but what am I going to do with the 499 remaining BBs ? Such a waste

oops - 1 ea of .125" - I bet a bag of 100 myself. Depends on the alloy
and the size of the bag. What type of stainless.....

www.mscdirect.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 7, 2014 9:16:23 PM UTC, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

but they're .177, not .125. He asked for 1/8"

Lloyd

The thread is entitled " Qty 1 .125 BB " and he lost the original ball. I think he wants a ball the same size as the original, but I am not sure if he needs a BB or a .125 ball or some other size. My impression is he wants to get something about BB size and see if it works. As someone said Hitachi probably used a metric sized ball.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

The thread is entitled " Qty 1 .125 BB " and he lost the
original ball. I think he wants a ball the same size as the original,
but I am not sure if he needs a BB or a .125 ball or some other size.
My impression is he wants to get something about BB size and see if it
works. As someone said Hitachi probably used a metric sized ball.

Dan

MY impression is that he abbreviated "Ball Bearing", and wants a 0.125"
ball. That, by the way, is the origin of the term "BB shot". SOMEbody
had some 0.177 balls around, and decided to make it a standard for air
guns.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
r11 r11 is offline

On Monday, July 7, 2014 11:11:45 AM UTC-4, r11 wrote:
Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

bought a pack of 20 from eBay seller. under 4 bucks delivered. they do use imperial size bb in that chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-13, r11 wrote:
On Monday, July 7, 2014 11:11:45 AM UTC-4, r11 wrote:

Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me
Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole
pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

bought a pack of 20 from eBay seller. under 4 bucks delivered. they do

use imperial size bb in that chuck

I've been somewhat bothered by the wording of these. To me
(starting in life as a kid) the term "BB" (all upper case) stood for a
copper coated roughly spherical steel projectile. Roughly, because it
would have a flat spot on one side, presumably from some kind of
automated forming process. (And yes, these were 0.177" diameter, not
the desired 0.125".)

I'm presuming that you are using it to stand for "Ball Bearing"
(the individual balls, not the assembled rolling ball device.) I would
probably have used the spelled out term "bearing ball" rather than "BB".

Hopefully, the eBay seller is selling bearing balls, not the
projectiles. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/13/2014 10:44 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2014-07-13, r11 wrote:
[...]

BB originally referred to a size of lead shot, .180" inch in diameter.
These were used in early BB guns, but as repeating BB guns came on the
market, the lead was found to be too soft for reliable feeding, so a
..177" steel BB was adopted.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-13, r11 wrote:
[...]

I'm with Don. Have BB guns in both pistol and rifle. Shoots .117 pellets.

The BB was a size of the ball sizes in shotgun shot size. If you go
to the local supplier of shot guns / shells - or web - you will see
sizes 0000 000 00 0 etc - aught double-aught (favorite of police
blasting shotguns) and naturally the series keeps on going in both
directions. BB is one of the series - see a good gun bible and it has
a shot size sheet.

Martin