Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default All 100 candles lit!

Heh! I did a backyard display tonight with a bunch of effects, but the key
one was a 1000-shot Roman Candle barrage. It's a big job to quickmatch
that many candles so they all ignite, and even more of one to time their
ignition so the display starts 'slow' and grows in intensity. All 100
candles lit, and in proper succession! Yay! I can still 'match' tubes!

It's been four years since I was a lead-shooter on a show. 'Been busy
making machines to make the fireworks, instead of shooting them. Nice to
know it still works.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Heh! I did a backyard display tonight with a bunch of effects, but the
key
one was a 1000-shot Roman Candle barrage. It's a big job to quickmatch
that many candles so they all ignite, and even more of one to time their
ignition so the display starts 'slow' and grows in intensity. All 100
candles lit, and in proper succession! Yay! I can still 'match' tubes!

It's been four years since I was a lead-shooter on a show. 'Been busy
making machines to make the fireworks, instead of shooting them. Nice to
know it still works.

Lloyd

Do you use burn rate fuse for that, or do you use an electronic ignition
system? I always figured model rocket igniters and 3F or 4F BP inside the
tubes surrounding the fuse where it enters the containment area would solve
most problems I've had.

I've got a couple rolls of water proof canon fuse I've used for timing
ground displays. One roll burns pretty consistently at 1" per second unless
you crush it, but he other roll does all kinds of weird things.

When I've had a problem its almost never been with the main line, but with
the fuses on the devices themselves. Using all consumer pack stuff of
course.

Hey cut me some slack Llloyd. Even S&S fireworks only became legal here a
few years ago. Crackers, rockets, and mortars are still verboten. On the
other hand I've had a perfectly legal model rocket "accidentally" blow up
once or twice...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
. 3.70...
Heh! I did a backyard display tonight with a bunch of effects, but the
key
one was a 1000-shot Roman Candle barrage. It's a big job to quickmatch
that many candles so they all ignite, and even more of one to time their
ignition so the display starts 'slow' and grows in intensity. All 100
candles lit, and in proper succession! Yay! I can still 'match' tubes!

It's been four years since I was a lead-shooter on a show. 'Been busy
making machines to make the fireworks, instead of shooting them. Nice to
know it still works.

Lloyd

Do you use burn rate fuse for that, or do you use an electronic ignition
system? I always figured model rocket igniters and 3F or 4F BP inside the
tubes surrounding the fuse where it enters the containment area would
solve most problems I've had.

P.S. When I quite using those stupid 9V or worse 3V launch controllers and
just started using a car battery all my problems with model rocket igniters
just went away.

I've got a couple rolls of water proof canon fuse I've used for timing
ground displays. One roll burns pretty consistently at 1" per second
unless you crush it, but he other roll does all kinds of weird things.

When I've had a problem its almost never been with the main line, but with
the fuses on the devices themselves. Using all consumer pack stuff of
course.

Hey cut me some slack Llloyd. Even S&S fireworks only became legal here a
few years ago. Crackers, rockets, and mortars are still verboten. On the
other hand I've had a perfectly legal model rocket "accidentally" blow up
once or twice...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

P.S. When I quite using those stupid 9V or worse 3V launch
controllers and just started using a car battery all my problems with
model rocket igniters just went away.

Bob,
When I use electrical ignition, it's with commercial electric matches,
not with the consumer 'hot wire' igniters. For the consumer, a new brand
of "true" electric match JUST now came on the market - manufactured by
MJG corporation - that does not require a license to purchase or a
magazine in which to store them.

The sort of shows where we need those have cue counts in the hundreds or
thousands, not just a handful like a backyard show.

Maybe it's just the challenge of 'getting it right', but I like doing
small shows with time fuse and quickmatch. It sort of takes you back to
when there were no electrically-fired shows.

Quickmatch is a loose paper tube inside of which are several thin strands
of twine coated on their outsides with a layer of black powder.
Contained in the tube like that, it burns at a rate of tens of feet per
second -- essentially instantaneous for distances up to eight feet. Time
fuse is a core of black powder tightly wrapped in several layers of twine
and/or cotton tape/or paper tape, about 1/4" in diameter. It burns
reliably at around 1.4 seconds per inch, or so. It is NOT that shiny red
or green stuff that looks like laquered thick string. That's variously
called 'visco' (polyviscose fuse) or 'cannon fuse'. That's the stuff you
used to see on big firecrackers like the famed M-80.

So... anyway... visco is my 'lighting' fuse. I use time fuse and
quickmatch to time and ignite the actual fireworks. The fuses are
removed from individual fireworks, and cut up quickmatch strands inserted
in replacement of them, so that any fire on that bundle of strands will
‘zip’ inside instantly. Multiple items that must ignite simultaneously
are connected with lengths of the quickmatch. Timing between cues is
effected with time fuse. Short lengths of time fuse tied into a length
of quickmatch on each end is actually called “a timer” in fireworks
parlance. I started my commercial fireworks career manufacturing timers
in bulk for display companies.

That one cue of 100 candles last night was not just one after another.
They were arranged in three groups, angled left, right, and straight up
-- an arrangement called "Prince of Wales Feathers". First, six candles
lit all at once. 20 seconds later, 21 candles at once, and 20 seconds
after that, the remaining 73 (with one extra in the middle). 100 candles
was just chosen so I could say "1000 shots”, not for any particular
cosmetic reasons... although it is a pretty ‘busy’ effect, with that many
running at once.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 20:35:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Heh! I did a backyard display tonight with a bunch of effects, but the key
one was a 1000-shot Roman Candle barrage. It's a big job to quickmatch
that many candles so they all ignite, and even more of one to time their
ignition so the display starts 'slow' and grows in intensity. All 100
candles lit, and in proper succession! Yay! I can still 'match' tubes!

I miss the handheld roman candles of old. We used to shoot them out
over the lake, standing on the shore of the base lake on LRAFB when I
was a kid. The water moccasins didn't like the show, so they stayed
well away from us those nights. Kudos on your timing of the show.
Once a pro, always a pro.

It's been four years since I was a lead-shooter on a show. 'Been busy
making machines to make the fireworks, instead of shooting them. Nice to
know it still works.

Congrats.

I stayed home and tried to go to bed early, but the farking dog next
door was going bat**** crazy all night. It took me an hour and
fifteen minutes before there was a lull in the crackers and the dog
shut up long enough for me to get to sleep. Of course, the asshole
neighbors didn't lock their dog up in the house or garage before
leaving for the weekend. I banged on the side of their house for ten
minutes to no avail. Ear plugs helped, but not enough to get to
sleep.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Heh! I did a backyard display tonight with a bunch of effects, but the key
one was a 1000-shot Roman Candle barrage. It's a big job to quickmatch
that many candles so they all ignite, and even more of one to time their
ignition so the display starts 'slow' and grows in intensity. All 100
candles lit, and in proper succession! Yay! I can still 'match' tubes!

It's been four years since I was a lead-shooter on a show. 'Been busy
making machines to make the fireworks, instead of shooting them. Nice to
know it still works.

great job, I think that I understand why igniting them simultaneously
is not easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Heh! I did a backyard display tonight with a bunch of effects, but the key
one was a 1000-shot Roman Candle barrage. It's a big job to quickmatch
that many candles so they all ignite, and even more of one to time their
ignition so the display starts 'slow' and grows in intensity. All 100
candles lit, and in proper succession! Yay! I can still 'match' tubes!

It's been four years since I was a lead-shooter on a show. 'Been busy
making machines to make the fireworks, instead of shooting them. Nice to
know it still works.

Lloyd

Way cool, but what a tease!! Got pix,video??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker fired this volley in
:

Way cool, but what a tease!! Got pix,video??

It's going to have to stay a tease. I was lighting fuses. Nobody else
thought to video it, and I forgot to ask.

It wasn't _that_ spectacular... I was just happy that every single device
lit and functioned.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker fired this volley in
:

Way cool, but what a tease!! Got pix,video??

It's going to have to stay a tease. I was lighting fuses. Nobody else
thought to video it, and I forgot to ask.

It wasn't _that_ spectacular... I was just happy that every single device
lit and functioned.

Lloyd

Darn. But, good job. It's nice to know we can keep our skills over time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 06:03:37 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

My Golden Retriever would go nuts with fireworks or thunder. ( no
barking, just panting and shaking) I took her to the vet for a
check-up on Wednesday and got some doggie Zanax for her, also picked
up an ace bandage to wrap her with for thunder storms. Never got to
use any of it. She passed away thursday night. Eyes are all watery
just writing this. she was only 9, way too soon to lose her. Vet at
the animal ER thinks it might have been a stroke or brain tumor.

She's not afraid any more.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy333 fired this volley in
:

Eyes are all watery
just writing this. she was only 9, way too soon to lose her

Well, that's sad. We lost both of our OLD dogs about six months apart. A
while ago, though.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry ..way sorry to hear that. We have a manageri here with at least
13 dogs between all 3 families that share this place.

Ive got Grandma dog that wont be long for this world and a brand new
puppy..the sole survivor of a litter of 8 to a new rescue we took in.

Its definately tough for you. Now..start looking for another Golden
pup and raise it in rememberance of the one who just passed.

You have had years with a dog in your life, sharing the good and the
bad....dont stop now. There is a puppy out there looking for someone
just like you.

Gunner

-

"[F]ar from being the Great Satan, I would say that we
are the Great Protector. We have sent men and women
from the armed forces of the United States to other parts
of the world throughout the past century to put down oppression.
We defeated Fascism. We defeated Communism.
We saved Europe in World War I and World War II.
We were willing to do it, glad to do it. We went to
Korea. We went to Vietnam. All in the interest of
preserving the rights of people.

And when all those conflicts were over, what did we
do? Did we stay and conquer? Did we say, "Okay, we
defeated Germany. Now Germany belongs to us? We defeated Japan,
so Japan belongs to us"? No. What did we do?
We built them up. We gave them democratic systems which
they have embraced totally to their soul.
And did we ask for any land? No.

The only land we ever asked for was
enough land to bury our dead."

General Colin Powell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/5/2014 9:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

One of my dogs spent the night in my lap wrapped in a blanket and
shivering because of the fireworks in the area. He doesn't do well in
thunder storms either. The other dog, his litermate, couldn't care less.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I do have another dog in the house, supposed to be my wife's but I
think the dog likes me better. "Trouble" is not afraid of anything,
she's a Cock-a-poo/Beagle mix with what has to be some trerrier or
schnauzer in there too.

Just going to stay a one dog house for awhile.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You and the CP/B really need another dog. She for the times you are
not around.

I lost my Sandy a few months ago in a stupid stupid accident..and Ive
already "replaced" her. Replacement is the wrong word..utterly wrong.
Hummm....Ive gotten another dog to try to see if she can fill Sandys
footsteps.

Sandy will be waiting for me when I cross over in 50 or so years. She
always was a patient girl.

We currently have 13 dogs between 3 families here

Gunner

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How soon before another dog dies in Mark Wieber's "care"?

Man-Candles willshak Woodworking 7 May 18th 12 02:01 PM
Stock up on candles. Dave Liquorice[_3_] UK diy 34 November 14th 11 10:56 PM
OFF TOPIC Ear candles Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 85 March 13th 07 07:28 PM
Do you need candles for the home? BuySmartShopping Home Ownership 0 December 28th 06 02:17 AM
OIl lamps and candles Michael Mcneil UK diy 2 November 17th 03 06:31 AM