DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hardface tiller tines? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/371023-hardface-tiller-tines.html)

[email protected] May 19th 14 06:59 PM

Hardface tiller tines?

Since my Troy-Bilt tiller is of course being used to till dirt the
tines don't stay real sharp for long. I thought about hardfacing the
cutting edges of the tines but the tines are of course some type of
hardened steel. Anybody know if the tines can be hardfaced?
Thanks,
Eric

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 19th 14 07:26 PM

Hardface tiller tines?

fired this volley in
:

Anybody know if the tines can be hardfaced?

Most anything can be hardfaced, but you have to be careful of where the
wear patterns are. If you hardface (say) only a couple of inches down near
the ends, the tines may wear through above the hardfacing.

Will you draw some temper out of the tines? Yes. How far and how badly
depends on your welding technique, and whether or not you quench them at
the right time.

Lloyd

SteveB[_15_] May 21st 14 03:29 AM

Hardface tiller tines?

fired this volley in
:

Anybody know if the tines can be hardfaced?

Most anything can be hardfaced, but you have to be careful of where the
wear patterns are. If you hardface (say) only a couple of inches down near
the ends, the tines may wear through above the hardfacing.

Will you draw some temper out of the tines? Yes. How far and how badly
depends on your welding technique, and whether or not you quench them at
the right time.

Lloyd

I have not done what you asked about. I would say it would be a case of
trial and error. The mass that you are welding to is very small
considering the mass of most things that are hardfaced. It might weaken
the whole tine enough to make if bend easier. As suggested, pretreat
and posttreat criteria may be the deciding factor.

Steve

[email protected] May 21st 14 04:22 AM

Hardface tiller tines?

On Tue, 20 May 2014 19:29:01 -0700, SteveB wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Anybody know if the tines can be hardfaced?

Most anything can be hardfaced, but you have to be careful of where the
wear patterns are. If you hardface (say) only a couple of inches down near
the ends, the tines may wear through above the hardfacing.

Will you draw some temper out of the tines? Yes. How far and how badly
depends on your welding technique, and whether or not you quench them at
the right time.

Lloyd

I have not done what you asked about. I would say it would be a case of
trial and error. The mass that you are welding to is very small
considering the mass of most things that are hardfaced. It might weaken
the whole tine enough to make if bend easier. As suggested, pretreat
and posttreat criteria may be the deciding factor.

Steve

IIRC my dad had the tines on his old MerryTiller hardfaced back in
the sixties - stellite? He did a lot of tilling and the original tines
wore out in about 2 years - the coated (tipped) ones lasted a lot
longer

Steve W.[_4_] May 21st 14 07:58 AM

Hardface tiller tines?

wrote:
Since my Troy-Bilt tiller is of course being used to till dirt the
tines don't stay real sharp for long. I thought about hardfacing the
cutting edges of the tines but the tines are of course some type of
hardened steel. Anybody know if the tines can be hardfaced?
Thanks,
Eric

Back when Troy-Bilt was in Troy they offered hard faced tines for the
larger models. Being that I was in there a lot hauling parts I asked
about some of the "upgrades" they did to products. Those tines were one
of them (have an old Horse model myself). The procedure they used was
simple. They stamped the regular tines in house. They stamped the hard
faced ones from the same steel but with a different part number. They
were sent over to the fab shop where one machine did the work. It was a
"robotic" MIG running Lincore wire. The weld went from the top of the
bevel around the curve. Then they would drop onto a table and knock off
any slag. Then a quick swipe with a grinder to level them and a bath in
the paint tank.

--
Steve W.