DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thunderbird, transferring filters to new computer? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/369078-thunderbird-transferring-filters-new-computer.html)

Jon Anderson March 22nd 14 06:52 PM

Thunderbird, transferring filters to new computer?

What file does Thunderbird use to store filters? And will simply copying
it to the appropriate folder on the new computer bring it into play? I
don't see any option to export, and I have a nicely tuned set of
filters on the old computer. Hate to have to start from scratch again...

Thanks,

Jon

BobH[_5_] March 22nd 14 10:16 PM

On 3/22/2014 11:52 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
What file does Thunderbird use to store filters? And will simply copying
it to the appropriate folder on the new computer bring it into play? I
don't see any option to export, and I have a nicely tuned set of
filters on the old computer. Hate to have to start from scratch again...

Thanks,

Jon

The filters are in the newsgroup.dat files. I have moved them with no
issues in the past.

assume:
username = joe
nntp service provider foonly.com

Your filters will be in:

c:\Documents and Settings\joe\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\randomstuff.default\News \news.foonly.com\rec.crafts.metalworking.dat

This is assuming a default XP installation of Thunderbird. Windows 7
will stash them elsewhere.

Bob

Jon Anderson March 23rd 14 01:11 AM

On 3/22/2014 3:16 PM, BobH wrote:

The filters are in the newsgroup.dat files. I have moved them with no
issues in the past.

Yup, XP. Thanks for that Bob, not sure if I have stuff in the default
location, or elsewhere, but now I know what to look for and where, the
specific drive being the variable.

Jon

Belleman March 23rd 14 05:53 AM

On 23-Mar-14 2:52 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
What file does Thunderbird use to store filters? And will simply copying
it to the appropriate folder on the new computer bring it into play? I
don't see any option to export, and I have a nicely tuned set of
filters on the old computer. Hate to have to start from scratch again...

Thanks,

Jon

Use a utility called mozbackup from mozilla. It works well, backs up
filters too.

Works for thunderbird & FF

Jon Anderson March 24th 14 12:31 AM

On 3/22/2014 10:53 PM, Belleman wrote:

Use a utility called mozbackup from mozilla. It works well, backs up
filters too.

Works for thunderbird & FF

Thanks, wish I'd known about that sooner, I already transferred manually
all emails for several accounts, but set up the newsgroups directly.
I'll just transfer the filters file. But this computer is a stop-gap,
I'll be looking for something much faster within the year.
(This thing just crawls trying to import into Lightroom...)

Regards,

Jon