DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/367325-rail-anvil-hardy-hole-video.html)

Pete S February 2nd 14 03:49 PM

Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

Most youtube videos about making a blacksmith anvil from a piece of rail
(railroad, crane, trolley car, etc.) don't show how to make the
hardy hole, so I made a video on that subject.
Note: In the filing sequences it sounds as though the file is just
skating, but it is really cutting quite well. It's the microphone in the
video camera, I guess, that makes it sound that way.

It's at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aNUFc9_ki0

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Bob Engelhardt February 2nd 14 06:24 PM

Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

Excellent video! Very informative and great production.

metalworking. You had to resharpen drill bits a lot. Would carbide
tipped bits work? You also had to do a lot of filing. I use a carbide
rasp bit in my die grinder that might be good for roughing. E.g.:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370998282545...em566138 8931
(that one is very expensive - I got mine years ago on eBay as a lot of
10 for about $1 each).

Bob

Joe gwinn February 2nd 14 09:09 PM

Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Excellent video! Very informative and great production.

metalworking. You had to resharpen drill bits a lot. Would carbide
tipped bits work? You also had to do a lot of filing. I use a carbide
rasp bit in my die grinder that might be good for roughing. E.g.:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370998282545...em566138 8931
(that one is very expensive - I got mine years ago on eBay as a lot of
10 for about $1 each).

I bet if he had used flood coolant, far less resharpening would have
been required.

Joe Gwinn

Erik[_5_] February 2nd 14 09:32 PM

Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

On 2/2/14, 7:49 AM, Pete S wrote:
Most youtube videos about making a blacksmith anvil from a piece of rail
(railroad, crane, trolley car, etc.) don't show how to make the
hardy hole, so I made a video on that subject.
Note: In the filing sequences it sounds as though the file is just
skating, but it is really cutting quite well. It's the microphone in
the video camera, I guess, that makes it sound that way.

It's at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aNUFc9_ki0

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Yes, excellent video, thanks for sharing Pete!

Erik

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] February 2nd 14 09:34 PM

Rail Anvil Hardy Hole video

Joe Gwinn fired this volley in
:

I bet if he had used flood coolant, far less resharpening would have
been required.

Or just taken pecks no more than a drill diameter before re-lubing. I saw
him cut more than an inch in dry metal more than twice. I also saw him
pause in the drilling (just one or two times), which kills the hell out of
bits and work-hardens the surface.

Lloyd