Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default English wheel, and other metalworking questions

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 13:40:53 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 13:46:44 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 1/7/2014 8:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:32:03 -0600,
wrote:

On 1/6/2014 4:55 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 09:32:29 -0600,
wrote:

On 1/6/2014 8:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message

Part of me wondered if there would be a way to measure a model car
(like you put together as a kid) and somehow get measurements off of
it, increase those based on whatever scale the model is, and somehow
use those to create drawings to base a buck or mold off of. I may
know a place that has a CMM but am unfamiliar with it.

Wooden ship builders made models and then scaled them up to full size.
You could look into their procedures.
http://www.duck-trap.com/lofting.html

Engineers' and architects' scales allow you to measure a model as
though it was full-sized.
http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-R-En...181449-6977647

My own efforts...
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Hey Richard....

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4274642245.html

Snag it quick for a winter project! And make some money come spring.

Gunner

Gunner, try to understand this.
I don't WANT a project!

what..getting lazy in your old age?

Back when I was young and dumb and had no money, I was happy to try
to revive old boats. Buy something worthless, put a lot of hard work
into it. And wind up with a better looking, but still worthless old boat.

Jay Leno you certainly are not.

But I'm older and smarter now, and I have money too!

I can afford to buy what I want, not have to make do with some
resurrected trash.

Sometimes your defintion of trash is the product of your ego from the
looks of it.

So, I'll PASS on the trash boats, please.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...r=0#more-54765

Now can you tell me what that boat I linked with actually is? Other
than filthy dirty..but thats easily fixed with a pressure washer....It
is in the Houston area afterall..so being filthy is to be expected

This a junk boat too?...it was free.

This one isnt free...but its a junk boat too?Trash?

This is only $200...has to be utter trash! Right?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/4274550247.html

http://boats.smartcarguide.com/listing/30057028/
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjestaiczmk1f57/zDwtgIvwP8

This one is junk too?

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/4274583802.html

What..its been washed? Sacrlidge!! Nah...has to be junk..its only $900

http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/hunter/27

And I don't work for 10 cents an hour.

Its called a Hobby. What.. you dont like hobbies?

(Grin)

Gunner, marking up another point on his side of the blackboard

For what? You think you scored something?

Of couse I did. (Grin)

So did you get the California boat I found for you?
What..not nice enough for you? Or too inexpensive?

Gunner, chalking up another point on the scoreboard.

It all sounds lovely however generally reality sets in a while later.
In nearly every one of these "get a boat cheap and fix it up" an even
semi-realistic survey of what the actual costs will be shows it to be
expensive.

Which is, of course, why every boat yard I've been in the past forty
years or so has abandoned boats in it. People wake up to the fact that
they have spent 6 or 7,000 dollars and they aren't even half finished.

One of the boats you listed needs a new engine but replacing an engine
can be an extremely costly project on an old boat.... a boat built in
the early '70's may very well have been built with a gasoline engine
which is no longer available... so Hidie-ho we'll use a diesel.. only
you really need to get an engine that you can fit a marine gear box to
and you really need the various accessories like coolers, water pumps
and so on. About the cheapest marine engine-gear box I see in the
"running" small 10 - 12 HP range is about US$1,000 and there is no
guarantee that it is going to fit the existing engine mounts and
certainly the prop shaft, propeller and stern gear fittings will
probably not fit.

So.... add to your $200 cost, say another $1,000 for engine and gear
box and perhaps $500 for shaft, prop, stern bearings and stuffing box.
and, or course the new engine mounts so some more for making and
fitting those.

You say, O.K., I'll do it myself.... well epoxy resin is what? $70 a
gallon? Cloth I have no idea what U.S. prices are but certainly not
cheap. Labour? Even if you do it yourself you need to figure the, what
is? $7.00 an hour U.S. minimum wage that you could get pumping gas at
the gas station, or maybe $50 a day if you don't work overtime.

Pretty soon you wake up and smell the roses and if you've got enough
fingers to count on you discover that your $200 sailboat is now worth
about $2700 in your hard earned cash and it still needs painting, a
boom, rigging both standing and running, sails, and a host of other
stuff... the stove doesn't work and the head needs replacing... none
of the thru-hull fittings look safe and the sea cocks are all
sticking.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 6, 2014 1:58:18 PM UTC-5, Jon Banquer wrote:

The reason you're confused is you have no grasp of the basics of using

hand tools to form sheet metal. I suggest you buy this DVD and get a

clue.

But I am not confused. I was asking a member of this group when he would use which tool. Never hurts to get additional opinions.

If you don't understand how to work sheet metal with hand

tools then all power tools will do is get you in trouble faster and

further mask your real problems.

I agree with you on this.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On Monday, January 6, 2014 1:58:18 PM UTC-5, Jon Banquer wrote:

The reason you're confused is you have no grasp of the basics of using

hand tools to form sheet metal. I suggest you buy this DVD and get a

clue.

But I am not confused. I was asking a member of this group when he would use which tool. Never hurts to get additional opinions.

If you don't understand how to work sheet metal with hand

tools then all power tools will do is get you in trouble faster and

further mask your real problems.

I agree with you on this.

Dan

The answer to all your questions is watching the right video. You will
not find the information you need asking questions.

Without a doubt this is the best video I've ever seen and I own the
majority of sheet metal forming videos ever made... Covell, White,
Fournier, etc. Did you watch this link that I posted before? If not, I
suggest you watch it. Now, not later. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGElSHzm0q8

If you like David's no bull****, friendly, style I'd be more than happy
to lend you his video. It's worth ten times the $40 plus shipping from
the UK I paid for it. There is simply no video that's even close to this
video for starting out. I know it and a bunch of people on the H.A.M.B
and other places know it as well. David is also an incredibly nice
person who I have nothing but respect for. There is so much helpful
information in his video that it's mind boggling.

Sheet metal work is very physical work.

One set of videos I don't own are the one's done by Peter Tommasini.
When I have some free time I'm going to order them. This guy says they
are the best and I respect his opinion. I would still start with David
Gardner's video.

About Peter Tommasini DVD videos:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s....php?p=9321858

Here is a link to the Peter Tommasini website:

http://www.handbuilt.net.au/dvds.html

Like David Gardner, Peter Tommasini also makes it very clear that it's
not about the tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2014 7:00 PM, Jon Banquer wrote:
In article2OudnWO609ROBVHPnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
says...

Go ahead and chalk up your jerk points, Mark.

It's semi-entertaining, I guess.

This is just another desperate attempt by Mark Wieber to show he's a
genius at making money with anything he touches. In this latest
incarnation of Mark Wieber, "Super Genius", Wieber has made himself into
the king of all small sailboats.

Your "discussion" with Mark Wieber follows the same pattern that Mark
Wieber always follows when he's called on his frequent
lies/bull****/badly flawed thinking.

Instead of wasting a minute more of you time with a liar and a piece of
of **** like Mark Wieber, why not start threads on fiberglassing or
whatever else interests you and that you think others might be
interested in.

All you're doing is wasting your time with a lying piece of **** like
Mark Wieber. Mark Wieber's main interest is in showing his clique of
idiots what a genius he is as well as feeding his fragile ego by
engaging in oneupmanship.

Why not start catering to those interested in what you have to say about
fiberglassing, etc? Go for the niche market in this ****ed up newsgroup
that Mark Wieber destroyed.

I'm interested in anything that will enhance my fiberglassing/
composites knowledge. Lay it on me, bro.

Excellent advice, Jon.
Thanks.

I was rummaging around some old disks and found a piece I once wrote,\
but never published. I thought it a bit too trivial to be interesting,
to the great unwashed masses - but maybe?

I made a cowling for a friend who was building a Murphy Rebel.
1996 maybe?

He wanted to stuff a 200 HP Lycoming in there, and the stock cowl
wasn't near big enough. AND wanted it to look like a Murphy Rebel!

SO????

I'll see if I can pull this together and post it - Instructables maybe?

It actually did involve a (LITTLE) bit of metal work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
SO is steel hard to work with an English wheel? Is aluminum harder to work?

They each have quirks.

Steel is much more forgiving for a beginner, costs less and doesn't
require any special treatment when you weld it or go to paint it.
Steel also allows for easier repairs in the future.
BUT steel is usually heavier, rusts easily and you can overwork the
steel if you don't pay attention.

Aluminum forms easier at a given thickness than steel, larger parts can
be lighter, depending on the alloy it can resist corrosion better than
steel.
BUT it work hardens, dents easily, requires specific welding methods and
needs special treatment when you paint it. It is also a PIA to repair
properly.

Fiberglass is easy to work with, can be built up and altered easily. No
panel beating or wheel needed.
BUT 'glass is heavier than both, doesn't like temperature extremes, you
either need a mold or some type of form to work from as 'glass isn't
self supporting, it is MESSY and the materials can cost much more than
either metal.

For all three you will need to make a supporting framework of some type
to provide a solid structural base. Then mount your body sections to
that as you make them.

Starting from scratch and needing to buy/make the tools, learning how to
use them and building a complete running vehicle is NOT for the faint of
heart.

However as a stepping stone you could get a kit car and build that. Then
as you learn and acquire tools you could make parts using the kit as a
"pattern".

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2014 7:22 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Absolutely correct. (Actually sounds like "been there - done that")

But the little trailer sailers that we've been discussing are all
outboard types. Under 2000 pounds displacement. MacGregors mostly.
And all swing keel or centerboards.

So the motor isn't all that hard to install. Pricy tho.
You simply would not believe the price on new outboard motors here!
Talk about sticker shock. But, of course, there is always the junker
route. Cheaper up front, maybe, but another verse of the above to get
reliably running.

In the end, what he has "found" are simply not what I'm looking for (As
I have said publicly several times).

But if anyone (_NEAR TEXAS!_) knows of a Capri 18 or Capri 22 - with
trailer) that is in good to excellent shape - and can be pried from
the current owner's hands for a not too unreasonable sum -

I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 06:52:03 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 1/7/2014 7:22 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Definition of a boat - a hole in the water surrounded by wood, steel,
or fiberglass, into which you constantly pour more and more money
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Definition of a boat - a hole in the water surrounded by wood,
steel,
or fiberglass, into which you constantly pour more and more money

Yachting:
Standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 1/7/2014 7:22 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

I spent a few years in Texas, courtesy of my Uncle, and I always
thought that there was nowhere "near" Texas. It seemed like it was a
"long way" just to get out of the place :-)

My memories of Texas include the sign on the beer joint wall "Lone
Star - $1.00 a pitcher; Foreign Beer - $1.50".

I asked the barmaid what kind of foreign beer she had and she said,
"We got Budwwiser and Schlitz" :-).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/8/2014 7:32 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
Definition of a boat - a hole in the water surrounded by wood,
steel,
or fiberglass, into which you constantly pour more and more money

Yachting:
Standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills.

BOAT

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

But if anyone (_NEAR TEXAS!_) knows of a Capri 18 or Capri 22 - with
trailer) that is in good to excellent shape - and can be pried from
the current owner's hands for a not too unreasonable sum -

I'd be grateful to hear about it.

They got to be kidding..must be a dealers sample
http://ventura.craigslist.org/bod/4277029518.html

Here you go...

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4273634890.html

Whooops..its in Maine...sorry about that.....

Or this one....whoops..New York

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/40436

Excellent find!
Maine is just past Texarkana, right?
This one I had not seen before.

No way!
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/40399

That the Mark II version, and not a bad price for that age.

2004 was when they changed the deck house to the swoopy style.
I like the older style squared house better.
More comfortable headroom below decks.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/40345

Too far!

By far!

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/40038

Carter Lake Colorado.
WAY WAY past Lubbock.
I checked it several times.
How on Earth could anyplace in Colorado be 1000 miles from Dallas???

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/34257

This one is rougher than it looks in these pics.
Bad stress crack in the port side cockpit combing, cockpit, etc.
A few other rubs and scrapes.

Cant live with a 25 footer could you?

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/38720

No. The Capri 25 is a flat out racer.

Faster than my Capri 26 by far. And that boat could move quite well!

Great for running around with your hair on fire.
Not the kind of sailing we do any more.

Ill keep looking for your dream boat.....(Grin)

You do realize that they made about 1500 of those boats..right? And
finding one in Texas ..is going to be a bit of a problem. Might take
some of those vast riches of yours to get one shipped to you from the
other 49 states...just saying

Still making them too.

Base price for a new 2014 Capri 22 is (sit your self down!)
$21,736. Base. No trailer, no portapotty, no motor.

There's an '89 model in San Antonio for sale.
Excellent shape. With (homebrew) trailer.
Great sails. Etc. Might be a winner, if the guy will get right on the
price. I figure it to be worth 8k or so. Maybe 8.5. Not 10.5.
But it's about time for his price to drop if he wants to keep the ad up.
(Rules of Sailing Texas) http://sailingtexas.com/201301/scapri22167.html

There are a dozen or so on Ray Hubbard.
Another couple of dozen around the other lakes near here.
They are not hard to find.
It's just hard to get people to let go of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/8/2014 9:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 06:55:47 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

Cant live with a 25 footer could you?

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/38720

Btw..by all..all reviews..the Capri 25 is a fast fast boat. While the
Capri 22 is a dog unless you spend money customizing it. THEN its a
fast boat..but no where near as fast as the 25

There are reasons for that too.

The 25 was designed to go head to head with the J-24.
They can PLANE - It's one hell of a ride!

The 22 is basically a comfortable day sailer.
It can surf a bit under the right conditions.
But I don't think it will actually get up on plane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/8/2014 7:50 AM, John B. wrote:

I spent a few years in Texas, courtesy of my Uncle, and I always
thought that there was nowhere "near" Texas. It seemed like it was a
"long way" just to get out of the place :-)

My memories of Texas include the sign on the beer joint wall "Lone
Star - $1.00 a pitcher; Foreign Beer - $1.50".

I asked the barmaid what kind of foreign beer she had and she said,
"We got Budwwiser and Schlitz" :-).

We drink Shiner Boch now.

Good stuff, Maynard!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 1/7/2014 7:22 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

There was another description I always liked, "Boating is like
standing in a cold shower tearing up ten pound notes" :-)

But, note that you aren't doing that because you have to, rather,
because you want to :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/8/2014 9:57 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
30' Buccaneer ???

There are some fugglier boats. But not many!
(Eye bleach! Quick!)

Gunner, we need to work on a common definition for the word
"nice".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Give it a rest already!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/9/2014 11:15 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 05:51:29 -0600,
wrote:

Give it a rest already!

Why? I found you a nice Capri 25 not all that far from you among
others very similar..from Free to normal......and you are bitching?

So you dont want a boat?

Gunner

Not "something similar".
Not even something very similar.

I'm not at all interested in your cheap beater boats!

And - before you go off on that tangent again...

English Wheel oldjag Metalworking 0 September 1st 07 06:50 PM
English wheel and related popularity Eric R Snow Metalworking 7 January 27th 05 11:37 AM
English wheel enthusiasts, look here Ted Bennett Metalworking 3 January 3rd 04 03:56 AM
Using an English wheel marc Metalworking 9 November 15th 03 06:55 AM
English Wheel- I'm confused BP Metalworking 4 October 24th 03 04:00 PM