DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Silver solder 12L14? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/365047-silver-solder-12l14.html)

Bob Engelhardt December 10th 13 03:49 AM

Silver solder 12L14?

I have a 5 hp leaf blower that has an aluminum hub for the fan/impeller.
It has wallowed out, both in the keyway and bore, so I decided to make
a new one from steel. I had a piece of 12L14 that was just-right and I
turned, bored, and reamed it for a perfect fit. The hub needs a cross
piece for bolting on the fan and I made it from a piece of 1/4 x 1-1/2
mystery steel.

It all fit up real nice and I was all ready weld them together when I
had an "Oh, crap" moment: one can't weld 12L14. (Or so I've heard - the
weld is supposedly real crappy from the lead.)

Assuming that welding is a bad idea, can I silver solder them? The
cross piece sits on a shoulder on the hub, with a matching surface
that's 3/16 wide & 1-1/2" diameter and a cylindrical contact of 1/4 x
1-1/8 diameter. Nearly 2 square inches of contact.

The basic question is: will the lead affect the solder? Having the fan
come off at 3000 rpm is not the kind of excitement that I need.

Bob

Gunner Asch[_6_] December 10th 13 04:34 AM

Silver solder 12L14?

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:49:05 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

Welding...also consider brazing

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Ignoramus27028 December 10th 13 04:46 AM

Silver solder 12L14?

On 2013-12-10, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I have a 5 hp leaf blower that has an aluminum hub for the fan/impeller.
It has wallowed out, both in the keyway and bore, so I decided to make
a new one from steel. I had a piece of 12L14 that was just-right and I
turned, bored, and reamed it for a perfect fit. The hub needs a cross
piece for bolting on the fan and I made it from a piece of 1/4 x 1-1/2
mystery steel.

Is that a piece that I sold you?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...r-12l14-93232/

Bob Engelhardt December 10th 13 03:58 PM

Silver solder 12L14?

On 2013-12-10, Bob wrote:
... a piece of 1/4 x 1-1/2 mystery steel.

Is that a piece that I sold you?

Why? Are you in the "mystery steel" business? BG

The basic question is: will the lead affect the solder? ...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...r-12l14-93232/

Thanks. I skipped Googling it, thinking that the question was too far
out in left field. I should have known that you can find anything with
Google.

Bob