Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minature Bead Roller

I'm working on a project (it's a visual pun -- because if you're going to
name an engine part after a body part, it should look like the body part,
right?)

Basically I'm making a model airplane muffler (of a style called a
_tongue_ muffler, hence the near-obsessive search for a solution just to
make a god-damned PUN) by soldering two aluminum shells together (see
pictures). Later I'll solder the shells to a base that bolts to the
engine. If I just make one shell a little undersized compared to the
other and squeeze them together, I have a honkin' big seam that I'll need
to fill and file to get everything looking nice.

So I'd like to make a shell, then roll a little bead in it, then solder
everything together.

But I can't find any little bead rollers!!!

So, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do (other than perhaps
to abandon the project, or see a good shrink?) I'm thinking that for a
roller all I need are a pair of little wheels that are machined with the
correct 1/32" step, rounded to fit the interior of the shell, running on
bearings in a block and geared together.

Does that sound about right, or is there something I'm missing? I'd like
to make the amount of squeeze between the rollers at least somewhat
adjustable -- are there any known-good ways to do that, or is it
unnecessary?

Thanks in advance.

The pictures are he

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5lS...jajVqTWc/edit?
usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5lS...DcllvVWs/edit?
usp=sharing

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:13:52 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

I was thinking miniature tubing cutter with modified (blunt) cutter
wheel and grooved rollers, but it's probably too wide and no drive.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It'd be the wrong kind of bead, too -- I need more of a step.

I think I need to make something, but it astonishes me that there's not
something out there already.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Forgot to mention: currently I'm using 32 mill 1100 aluminum. I may try
40 mill 1100 or 32 mil 3003, but that's the biggest/hardest I'll ever try
to go.

.... and, I'm pretty sure it's thicker where the end of the thing rounds
over. Shaping this is amazing -- I have a rounded form and I'm just
beating on it with a body hammer. After several dozen passes the metal
just starts shrinking up and doing what I want. Of course, it's DEAD
SOFT aluminum...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

So I'd like to make a shell, then roll a little bead in it, then
solder
everything together.

But I can't find any little bead rollers!!!

If you can push or pull the metal through instead of using geared
shafts like a real bead roller, maybe you could make two roller axle
support blocks that replace the jaw plates of a drill press vise, and
slowly close the vise as you roll the bead deeper.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Go to www.harborfreight.com and put 34104 in the search box to see their
manual bead roller. You can download the manual for better views and
blowups. I have it and it works fine. If you have a step in each die then
that is for "flanging", not bead rolling; it will fold the edge down and
then back to horizontal but offset from the original height. Useful to
overlap seams to join sheet metal. I needed to "improve" mine to roll some
beads in 0.06" 304 stainless steel, but didn't need the 18" throat, so I
added a strap from top to bottom using the mounting bolts for the pillow
blocks right at the dies. Worked great, stopped the top and bottom jaws
from deflecting so they aren't in line. I start with a shallow bead, and
use the vertical bolt which is visible above the top pillow block to add
pressure for each successive pass until I get my full-depth bead. Anyway,
just thought that you might get some ideas looking at the pictures.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

How about a bit more primitive method? Grab a pair of flat nosed pliers
and use a dremel to grind a notch in one jaw face. Then solder a piece
of correct sized round stock in place on the other jaw. Place aluminum
in jaws, squeeze and you have a bead, For corners use needle nosed and
go slow. Good use for the cheap dollar store tools.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

A blacksmith's spring fuller:
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/...1/702c6b1f.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:13:52 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:

So I'd like to make a shell, then roll a little bead in it, then solder

everything together.

But I can't find any little bead rollers!!!

Tim Wescott

Wescott Design Services

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Try searching on " Flange " on Harbor Freight. They have an air tool for putting a flange on car body bits. I think they used to have a manual one that was essentially a vise grip with some blocks welded on. A bunch more work, but a bunch cheaper. Maybe try Eastwood or some other car tool place..

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Maybe it would be easier to do a smaller version of this?

http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/parts/x9853.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tinsmiths roll beads without a bead roller often. Just turn one edge to
about 90 degrees and then tap that edge down to 180 degrees over the mating
piece. I am not a tinsmith, but we made a bunch of tin lanterns that way
some years ago. I made a few tiny "set tools" (flat ended punches shaped
to fit the task at hand) to get to close the seam.
Maybe take a look at:
http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/T...TinLantern.htm

Regarding the soldering part:
Once I got some aluminum "brazing rod: at a state fair. The seller showed
how he could even "weld up" a hole in a pop can with it. I bought some. A
couple years later, I had the cylinder head on an old Cub cadet lanwn
tractor fail over by the exhaust valve, so I tried that stuff. It worked
great! Flowed well and everything. I put the head back on, torqued it down
and fired it up. Worked great------- for about 2 minutes. Once the engine
heated up, the stuff blew right out of the repair area. Don't know how hot
the exhaust on the model airplane engine gets, but I sure remember burning
my hands from time to time.

Pete Stanaitis