Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default weldable pulley and hub

Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20/08/13 11:36, Karl Townsend wrote:
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

What sort of power requirement is there. Type of belt required. Are you
intending to use a V belt or would a poly V do the job. A poly V can be
run on a flat surface IIRC the drive ratio is over 5:1 so you just need
a poly V for the driver not the driven.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 05:36:27 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

What kind of pulley? Something to turn a small belt? Or something
thats 18" in diameter and weighs 75 lbs?

Swamp cooler pully or bigger?

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Air compressors typically have a big ass pulley; the 5hp one that harbor
freight sells takes a pair of 5/8 belts and it keys onto a tapered shaft
that's appx an inch at the large diameter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOODS-BELLY-...-/111112244149

Probably fits the RM 59 also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

follow up. Surplus center has a good selection, i went there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

Come on down to Yuma for a day. After we get back from fishing you can take
this big ass pulley that's been laying in my back yard for the last 7 or 8
years home with you. It looks like cast iron, so probably not weldable, but
you could certainly bolt it to a weldable hub. I didn't measure it, but it
looks to be a bout 24". I sell it to you for a dollar if you pick it up,
but if you ask me to ship it the handling fee will be horrific. LOL.

http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/big%20pulley.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:02:04 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

FISHING!? in Yuma as in AZ? Didn't think the fish did well under the
catcus.

I'm a sucker for fishing anyplace. Wish i had time right now. Got
about ten days till the storm (fall harvest) hits. I am counting the
days till FL fishing already. This year i have to fish out of a 38'
catamaran with twin diesels, 14' beam. I know, its a dirty job, but
somebody has to do it. VBG

Karl

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

Come on down to Yuma for a day. After we get back from fishing you can take
this big ass pulley that's been laying in my back yard for the last 7 or 8
years home with you. It looks like cast iron, so probably not weldable, but
you could certainly bolt it to a weldable hub. I didn't measure it, but it
looks to be a bout 24". I sell it to you for a dollar if you pick it up,
but if you ask me to ship it the handling fee will be horrific. LOL.

http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/big%20pulley.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

fishing, as in the colorado river runs through the middle of yuma (who's
motto is: you gotta have a sense of yuma).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

FISHING!? in Yuma as in AZ? Didn't think the fish did well under the
catcus.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever caught one out from under
a cactus, but I have yanked a few out from under palm trees and mesquite
trees. I think I've even pulled a few bass out through the branches of an
iron wood or two.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

FISHING!? in Yuma as in AZ? Didn't think the fish did well under the
catcus.

I'm a sucker for fishing anyplace. Wish i had time right now. Got
about ten days till the storm (fall harvest) hits. I am counting the
days till FL fishing already. This year i have to fish out of a 38'
catamaran with twin diesels, 14' beam. I know, its a dirty job, but
somebody has to do it. VBG

14' beam on a 38' cat? That sucker will flip over the first whitecaps
that show up.

Karl

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

FISHING!? in Yuma as in AZ? Didn't think the fish did well under the
catcus.

I'm a sucker for fishing anyplace. Wish i had time right now. Got
about ten days till the storm (fall harvest) hits. I am counting the
days till FL fishing already. This year i have to fish out of a 38'
catamaran with twin diesels, 14' beam. I know, its a dirty job, but
somebody has to do it. VBG

14' beam on a 38' cat? That sucker will flip over the first whitecaps
that show up.

He probably doesn't mean a sailing cat.

Karl

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He probably doesn't mean a sailing cat.

Ah! Thanks!

Its a Bertram, kind of like this one:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ortfish-365296

Except its a CAT and has two diesels. Custom fishing boat, less cruise
amenities than the one above.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:33:54 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

He probably doesn't mean a sailing cat.

Ah! Thanks!

Its a Bertram, kind of like this one:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ortfish-365296

Except its a CAT and has two diesels. Custom fishing boat, less cruise
amenities than the one above.

Karl

But the link says its a Deep V!!

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Its a Bertram, kind of like this one:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ortfish-365296

Except its a CAT and has two diesels. Custom fishing boat, less cruise
amenities than the one above.

Karl

But the link says its a Deep V!!

Yep, didn't find a link for a Bertram CAT in 38'. They quit making
them in 1990

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest
damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of
pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do
well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one
inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster
Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

Surplus Center, 18.75", 16#
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...190-J&catname=

Weldable, ductile, and machinable Al? Tim Wescott Metalworking 25 May 4th 13 07:08 PM
Are NMTB toolholders weldable Ignoramus25291 Metalworking 14 November 16th 10 11:15 AM
Aluminum - Strong, weldable, bendable - rod Bob La Londe Metalworking 4 August 9th 08 05:11 PM
Pulley blocks Andy Dingley UK diy 0 October 23rd 06 12:12 PM
Pulley blocks The Natural Philosopher UK diy 0 October 23rd 06 10:30 AM