DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DA vs ER collets for milling? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/359469-da-vs-er-collets-milling.html)

janders June 30th 13 10:26 PM

DA vs ER collets for milling?

To be more precise, if I'm going to use inch collets to hold metric
shank end mills, which would offer better grip and least runout?
I'm thinking ER, but I have a mess of DA collets...
Or, settle for an import set of metric R8 collets?

Jon

Bob La Londe[_7_] June 30th 13 10:28 PM

DA vs ER collets for milling?

"janders" wrote in message
To be more precise, if I'm going to use inch collets to hold metric shank
end mills, which would offer better grip and least runout?
I'm thinking ER, but I have a mess of DA collets...
Or, settle for an import set of metric R8 collets?

Jon

Whichever ones cost more most likely.

Existential Angst[_2_] June 30th 13 11:26 PM

DA vs ER collets for milling?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"janders" wrote in message
To be more precise, if I'm going to use inch collets to hold metric shank
end mills, which would offer better grip and least runout?
I'm thinking ER, but I have a mess of DA collets...
Or, settle for an import set of metric R8 collets?

Jon

Whichever ones cost more most likely.

ER for heavy side milling.
DA for lite milling.

ER 25 series seems to cover most stuff, short of 3/4.
ER 32 for 3/4+
I have one ER45 for 1" shanks, altho I'm thinking ER32 can go to 1". If so,
WTF did I get an ER45??? LOL

Metric or inch shouldn't matter, as each collet should overlap the next by
some small amount.
Funny, tho, I have trouble fitting some tap sizes, like 8, 10-32....
whazzup wit DAT?????
--
EA

PrecisionmachinisT June 30th 13 11:30 PM

DA vs ER collets for milling?

"janders" wrote in message
To be more precise, if I'm going to use inch collets to hold metric shank
end mills, which would offer better grip and least runout?
I'm thinking ER, but I have a mess of DA collets...
Or, settle for an import set of metric R8 collets?

Suggest buy the proper size collet in whatever holder holder series that has
the heaviest stiffness and mass

danielbauen.com/make/index.php/download_file/105/114/