Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recovered my M927 truck

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/7/2013 3:51 PM, Ignoramus29060 wrote:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Well, just how kewl is that!!!????

Sometimes even a blind hog... Looks like ya' scored on that one.

One imagines there's going to be a "veritable plethora" over the next
few years unless they just scrap/abandon everything over there and don't
even ship it home--nothing they could do would surprise me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:51:55 -0500, Ignoramus29060
wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Based on the milegae etc etc..it IS a new truck. Thats how the
government does things.

You did very very well!

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Based on the milegae etc etc..it IS a new truck. Thats how the
government does things.

You did very very well!

Thanks. I will see how it goes. It seems to have a few problems, the
driver's door stopped opening, the ABS light is on, and it seems to
drop air pressure in the airbrake system. The first and last one I am
sure will be an easy fix. The ABS, I am not so sure, you can drive it
without ABS, just brake lightly to avoid wheel lock-up, and avoid
tailgating.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you know HOW to drive, driving without ABS does not require making
any adjustment to your driving style. Just don't lock the brakes.
Same as driving a pre-ABS vehicle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

THis is how I always drive. I just replaced the rear brake pads for the
first time in my pick-up truck, at 88,000 miles. The front brake pads
were less than halfwork and did not need replacing.

I almost never brake hard, I do not need to, I keep the distance and
drive on cruise control, pleasantly contemplating stuff, instead of
being glued to the gas pedal, weaving in and out of traffic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ half worn

I almost never brake hard, I do not need to, I keep the distance and
drive on cruise control, pleasantly contemplating stuff, instead of
being glued to the gas pedal, weaving in and out of traffic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2013 12:05 AM, Ignoramus29060 wrote:

... I just replaced the rear brake pads for the
first time in my pick-up truck, at 88,000 miles. The front brake pads
were less than half [worn] and did not need replacing.

That's interesting: on every vehicle that I (or my wife) have ever had,
the front brakes wear 2 or 3 times as fast as the back. 'Cause that's
where the weight is - especially on stopping, with the inertial weight
transfer. Do you generally have a lot of weight in the back?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Based on the milegae etc etc..it IS a new truck. Thats how the
government does things.

You did very very well!

That he did. Damned well!

Thanks. I will see how it goes. It seems to have a few problems, the
driver's door stopped opening, the ABS light is on, and it seems to
drop air pressure in the airbrake system. The first and last one I am
sure will be an easy fix. The ABS, I am not so sure, you can drive it
without ABS, just brake lightly to avoid wheel lock-up, and avoid
tailgating.

Is that ABS "anti-lock brake system" or "air brake system"? If it's
an antilock system, someone may have bled the brakes wrong and
uncentered the warning piston. (Remembering way back when I did
wrenchin'...) OR it could be that some ancient air line is cracked
and leaking, which set off the ABS light.

Do a thorough lube job on all hinges, latches, etc. with spray lithium
grease. I've fixed more dead old-car latches with that stuff than you
can imagine. Available at Home Depot, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. Just
spray it inside the latch assembly without removal, bang it around a
dozen times or so, and it magically starts working again. Unless the
handle/rod was disconnected from the latch itself, which is easily
possible. Pop the inner door cover off and see. 90% of dead latches
I've worked on were just stuck or disconnected. Few actually broke.
YMMV.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It has air brakes and anti-lock braking system. ABS refers to antilock
braking system.

Do a thorough lube job on all hinges, latches, etc. with spray lithium
grease. I've fixed more dead old-car latches with that stuff than you
can imagine. Available at Home Depot, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. Just
spray it inside the latch assembly without removal, bang it around a
dozen times or so, and it magically starts working again. Unless the
handle/rod was disconnected from the latch itself, which is easily
possible. Pop the inner door cover off and see. 90% of dead latches
I've worked on were just stuck or disconnected. Few actually broke.
YMMV.

Yep, will do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not part of ABS - you are thinking WAY back to the first fual
ballanced systems - failsafe so if one half of the system loses
pressure you still have SOME brake.
Do a thorough lube job on all hinges, latches, etc. with spray lithium
grease. I've fixed more dead old-car latches with that stuff than you
can imagine. Available at Home Depot, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. Just
spray it inside the latch assembly without removal, bang it around a
dozen times or so, and it magically starts working again. Unless the
handle/rod was disconnected from the latch itself, which is easily
possible. Pop the inner door cover off and see. 90% of dead latches
I've worked on were just stuck or disconnected. Few actually broke.
YMMV.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-07, Ignoramus29060 wrote:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

I figured out the battery problem. There are four batteries in the
battery compartment. Only two were connected and one of them was
bad. I swapped it with another battery that was not connected, and the
truck starts and runs good.

I drove the truck off the lowboy trailer:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N...607_190346.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 21:24:44 -0500, Ignoramus29060

On 2013-06-07, Ignoramus29060 wrote:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

I figured out the battery problem. There are four batteries in the
battery compartment. Only two were connected and one of them was
bad. I swapped it with another battery that was not connected, and the
truck starts and runs good.

I drove the truck off the lowboy trailer:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N...607_190346.jpg

Did they paint over all the military markings?

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-07, Ignoramus29060 wrote:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

I figured out the battery problem. There are four batteries in the
battery compartment. Only two were connected and one of them was
bad. I swapped it with another battery that was not connected, and the
truck starts and runs good.

I drove the truck off the lowboy trailer:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N...607_190346.jpg

Did they paint over all the military markings?

I think so, I did not really have a lot of time to look in detail, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Way cool, Iggy!

Very possible the ABS light is related to the air leak.

"
The safety of the M939 series of trucks has been criticized, especially
braking performance and stability when loaded. In 1999 the US Army began
refitting anti-lock brake systems to the M939 trucks. Until the trucks
were modified, they were limited to a 40 mph (65 km/h) top speed by an
Army-wide safety order.

Prior to that improvement, 26% of all Army vehicle accidents and 53% of
all Army vehicle accident fatalities were in M939 series trucks. From
1987 to 1998 the series made up 9% of the total US Army vehicle
inventory, but accounted for 34% of all fatal accidents.

The problem seemed to be that the torque converter would "lock up" in
2nd gear, and would not unlock easily. When the driver attempted to
brake hard, often in a sudden or 'panic' stop, and accidentally locked
the brakes (no wheel movement, tires skidding), this would kill the
engine; this also killed the power steering, and the driver would
suddenly be unable to steer. Too often, the truck would veer sideways
and either hit something or roll over.
"

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Way cool, Iggy!

Very possible the ABS light is related to the air leak.

That would be great, as air leaks are easy to find and fix.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2013 2:17 AM, Steve W. wrote:
The problem seemed to be that the torque converter would "lock up" in
2nd gear, and would not unlock easily. When the driver attempted to
brake hard, often in a sudden or 'panic' stop, and accidentally locked
the brakes (no wheel movement, tires skidding), this would kill the
engine; this also killed the power steering, and the driver would
suddenly be unable to steer. Too often, the truck would veer sideways
and either hit something or roll over.

Well, that would be exciting! So they "fixed" it by adding ABS. Why
does that not surprise me? Bob

Stolen Copper recovered - 144 tons of it pyotr filipivich Metalworking 0 November 16th 12 06:25 AM
TRUCK TOY BOX J T Woodworking 1 November 12th 07 05:11 PM
Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 07:40 PM
Stolen Truck Recovered!!!!!!!! Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 67 March 6th 05 01:19 AM
Looking for metalworkers who use recovered/recycled materials peter Metalworking 6 March 15th 04 06:54 PM