DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to buy a single piece of straight wire? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/355558-re-where-buy-single-piece-straight-wire.html)

[email protected] April 23rd 13 12:27 AM

Where to buy a single piece of straight wire?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:44:30 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

John Doe wrote:
I need something like a guitar string, about 18 inches. Preferably
from a local store.

Maybe it can be a plastic wire.

It is for lengthening the throttle cable on a grass trimmer that I'm
using for a project. I tried straightening a wire, but it needs to be
perfectly straight so that it doesn't act like a spring. Under
stress, the engine sputters rhythmically. I'm sure it's the wire
acting like a spring.

Then I will need to find a sheath, but I will go for the wire first.

Thanks.

Doesn't sound like a cable problem unless the engine/carb can flex
relative to the throttle control.

If you want a good cable just hit a bike shop. That gives you easily
modified cable with protective sheath. As long as the ends of the sheath
are secured to the respective control areas the motions of the cable
will have no impact on engine stability.

What it sounds more like is that you are running the engine lean or
under a load that it cannot handle.

When U need a short length of solid throttle wire I grab a bicycle
spoke, if I need longer solid wire perfectly straight I take a length
of the next larger size and pull it until the diameter is right.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada