DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   battery charger (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/355300-battery-charger.html)

Karl Townsend April 16th 13 05:27 PM

battery charger

I often put a discharged dewalt or flashlight battery on the charger
and then forget to remove it. Am I hurting the battery? My better half
says I'm ruining them.

No way will I quit forgetting, should i get some sort of 120 volt
timer that only allows charging a couple hours a day?

Karl

Pete C. April 16th 13 05:30 PM

battery charger

Karl Townsend wrote:

I often put a discharged dewalt or flashlight battery on the charger
and then forget to remove it. Am I hurting the battery? My better half
says I'm ruining them.

No way will I quit forgetting, should i get some sort of 120 volt
timer that only allows charging a couple hours a day?

Karl

It depends on the charger. Low $ tools are more likely to have simple
chargers that can damage batteries if left on the charger. High $ tools
particularly with chargers that are multi-voltage are more likely to be
smart and no damage batteries when left for long periods.

Steve W.[_4_] April 16th 13 06:25 PM

battery charger

Karl Townsend wrote:
I often put a discharged dewalt or flashlight battery on the charger
and then forget to remove it. Am I hurting the battery? My better half
says I'm ruining them.

No way will I quit forgetting, should i get some sort of 120 volt
timer that only allows charging a couple hours a day?

Karl

If it's the older DeWalt the battery will self discharge a bit then the
charger will top it up. The problem then becomes cell memory.

If it's the new DeWalt charger this would be a good thing as it
supposedly does a battery conditioning charge.

--
Steve W.

Ignoramus9908 April 16th 13 11:55 PM

battery charger

DeWALT charges are high quality and know when to turn on, turn off,
and how to maintain a battery plugged in for months.

The cheap ones do not do that and ruin the battery the day you forget
to take it out.