Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

A colleague of mime had a home made unit built on a gearhead motor.
It had a spring loaded pipe cutter wheel. I used it for several thousand
feet of cable. For light duty it was satisfactory. The drive wheel
needed improvement. I saw a commercially made unit that had four pipe
cutter wheels at 90 degs. The key seems to be the drive wheel.

CP
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473
wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Be aware that body shops are supplying law enforcement (and probably
Feds) with lists of people who bring stripped copper into the scrap
metal yard in many communities these years. That may bring more local
governmental scrutiny than you want, Ig, despite the fact that your
shop is working entirely legally.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/i...wire-strippers

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels". I mean a powered industrial machine that is a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well. i

Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/i...wire-strippers

The one they use at Metro Metals in Portland has a blade that orbits around
the wire, stripping the insulation away in long spiral sections that look
similar to drill shavings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Be aware that body shops are supplying law enforcement (and probably
Feds) with lists of people who bring stripped copper into the scrap
metal yard in many communities these years. That may bring more local
governmental scrutiny than you want, Ig, despite the fact that your
shop is working entirely legally.

I have no problem with that, all I buy is legit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour c) Strips cables up to
1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

If you were in China you'd just subcontract the job to a village full of
people who would pile it on bonfires and burn the insulation off.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour c) Strips cables up to
1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

If you were in China you'd just subcontract the job to a village full of
people who would pile it on bonfires and burn the insulation off.

Can't do that here, those pesky environmentalists.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/15/2013 10:23 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:14:17 -0600, Ignoramus31473 wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour c) Strips cables up to
1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

If you were in China you'd just subcontract the job to a village full of
people who would pile it on bonfires and burn the insulation off.

not any more - they have discovered the value in the insulation - the
current approach in china is to pulverize the cables, use a water sluice
to separate the copper from the insulation and sell the two separately.
the insulation becomes your flip flops or bedroom slippers
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:53:13 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/i...wire-strippers

Some good looking machines there and make far more sense than building
one.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31473 fired this volley in
:

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

I haven't built one, but if you'll look up "Artos", you'll find examples
of industrial automated strippers.

NONE of them are "safe in use", unless they have an interlocked cover
over the work zone.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/15/2013 9:14 PM, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Some machines use 8" knot-type wire wheels counter rotating with one
shaft is spring loaded so the brush faces touch under adjustable
pressure. In addition to removing the insulation they drive the wire to
be striped. Tubes guides the wire into and out of the brushes. The
wire to be striped has an adjustable brake. Wire FLIES through these
machines!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

We all know as soon as you need something, you'll find it for the price of scrap, then come back with a 'minor gloat'...

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

Be aware that body shops are supplying law enforcement (and probably
Feds) with lists of people who bring stripped copper into the scrap
metal yard in many communities these years. That may bring more local
governmental scrutiny than you want, Ig, despite the fact that your
shop is working entirely legally.

I have no problem with that, all I buy is legit.

No? You've obviously never dealt with a governmental agency before.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Or who said it,
Even if I have said it,
Unless it agrees with your own reason
And your own common sense.
-- Buddha
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 16, 6:10*am, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

We all know as soon as you need something, you'll find it for the price of scrap, then come back with a 'minor gloat'...

Dave

He's a full card carrying member of the cult of Wieber so that's
exactly what we can expect.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 6:10 am, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use

b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour

c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just

wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out

well.

We all know as soon as you need something, you'll find it for the price of
scrap, then come back with a 'minor gloat'...

Dave

He's a full card carrying member of the cult of Wieber so that's
exactly what we can expect.

====

Copper prices have been on the decline for going on 2 years now and so I'm
in no hurry.

Especially considering that the SEC just very recently approved JP Morgan's
request allowing for ETF's to be backed by actual physical copper, which,
due to the probability of hoarding, may well substantially reduce the amount
of copper available for bonafide manufacturing purposes, despite Wall St
claims to the contrary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

A friend of mine did this. He found out, though, that the whole system did
better by limiting the size of the wire. That is, after stripping, it was
cut into 1/4" lengths, and this made it infinitely easier to handle, and
they put it in 5 gallon containers for handling and shipment. Can't tell
you much about the way they stripped it, but with a little investigation,
you should be able to find out which way works best for you.

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they
were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making
"kearnies". (?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58:02 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
[...]

If you cut then strip, the stripping maybe could be done by pressing the wire out of the insulation. A die-per-size would be a pain, though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Jan 2013 00:44:10 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58:02 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

[ ... ]

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they

were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making

"kearnies". (?)

If you cut then strip, the stripping maybe could be done by pressing
the wire out of the insulation. A die-per-size would be a pain, though.

Depends on the wire. Old telephone "drop" cable (that which
went from the pole to the side of the house) had the rubber rather
firmly bonded to the conductors. Stripping it involved whittling away
rubber until you got close, then scraping to get to the conductor. (I
used to have some from tree damage in New Hampshire back in the very
early 1960s. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I pulled most of the knob and tube rubber insulated (mid '40s) wire
when I re-wired in'78. To strip it, I sliced one side off the anchored
one end in the vise and spun the other end with a drill motor. The
heat generated plus the twisting action cleaned the well adhered
rubber perfectly from the tinned copper conducter.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
[...]

Ive installed a ****load of that wire. Much of it was copper coated
steel and ayup..getting the insulation off of it was a stone bitch.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
[...]

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had two
notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff has
a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
[...]

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 20 Jan 2013
00:14:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

"The new improved version of the 2005 edition was such that I
found nothing better. And nothing is what I used for the last few
years." Or, "Why I no longer use Quicken for my bookkeeping."

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:14:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Ive seen guys split the wire and dip it in a small vial of acid of
some sort, which breaks down the insulation rather quickly.

I cannot remember what it was though. Or it was some sort of solvent.

I do recall they pulled off the now soft as jello insul with pliers

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Ive seen guys split the wire and dip it in a small vial of acid of
some sort, which breaks down the insulation rather quickly.

I cannot remember what it was though. Or it was some sort of solvent.

I do recall they pulled off the now soft as jello insul with pliers

Which is why installer prefer jelled direct bury cable these days.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think you mean the right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

I found a good machine that you can make (I am going to make one also).
This machine requires some rollers from an old excerise machine, a motor, belt and some wood. It does not have any blades at all, and the insulation is burnt off using only friction. This stripper can handle any type of wire you throw at it. You can see it in action here with instructions on how to build it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQr6QwacJHQ

Good luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

在 2013年1月16日星期三 UTC+8上午10:14:17,Ignoramus31473写道:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

what should i care when stripping heavy duty multi core power cord?

i spend almost one week to source a machine ,but just can not assure if the machine can work for that?

how about this machine?
https://www.fd-machinery.com/product...ip-crimp/.html

Any one has experience?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

在 2013年1月16日星期三 UTC+8上午10:14:17,Ignoramus31473写道:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

there are already many economic choice for wire stripping machines,maybe you do not need to do it your self,just choose a right factory.

we do wire assembly business,our factory use a strpping for multi core power cable

https://www.fd-machinery.com/product...ip-crimp/.html

Hope this can help you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Used a homemade one once. It worked fairly well if you aren't going in
production.

It consisted of a gear head motor [don't remember the rpm, use some
judgment] with a drive wheel like a used cog wheel pully. Against this
was a spring loaded, adjustable cutter wheel from a common pipe cutter.

Also saw a pro unit that had 4 cutter wheels like the home made unit.

CP

Holub Wire Stripper Mike Dobony Home Repair 12 August 10th 20 04:14 PM
C.K Automatic Wire Stripper The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 January 8th 12 12:47 AM
better wire stripper and crimp pins Karl Townsend Metalworking 16 November 23rd 10 05:14 AM
Wire stripper James[_4_] UK diy 24 January 20th 08 03:08 PM
A decent automatic wire stripper. Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 4 February 2nd 07 06:14 PM