Old January 18th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homemade industrial wire stripper

On 18 Jan 2013 00:44:10 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58:02 PM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31473" wrote in message

I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those

"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car

wheels".

[ ... ]

They also got a premium price for the copper, as the buyers were sure they

were going to get all wire with no trash. IIRC, the buyers were making

"kearnies". (?)

If you cut then strip, the stripping maybe could be done by pressing
the wire out of the insulation. A die-per-size would be a pain, though.

Depends on the wire. Old telephone "drop" cable (that which
went from the pole to the side of the house) had the rubber rather
firmly bonded to the conductors. Stripping it involved whittling away
rubber until you got close, then scraping to get to the conductor. (I
used to have some from tree damage in New Hampshire back in the very
early 1960s. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I pulled most of the knob and tube rubber insulated (mid '40s) wire
when I re-wired in'78. To strip it, I sliced one side off the anchored
one end in the vise and spun the other end with a drill motor. The
heat generated plus the twisting action cleaned the well adhered
rubber perfectly from the tinned copper conducter.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Old January 18th 13, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
[...]

Ive installed a ****load of that wire. Much of it was copper coated
steel and ayup..getting the insulation off of it was a stone bitch.

Gunner

1. Lie
Old January 18th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
[...]

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had two
notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff has
a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.
Old January 20th 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-01-17, wrote:
[...]

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Gunner

1. Lie
Old January 20th 13, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Old January 20th 13, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 20 Jan 2013
00:14:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

"The new improved version of the 2005 edition was such that I
found nothing better. And nothing is what I used for the last few
years." Or, "Why I no longer use Quicken for my bookkeeping."

--
pyotr filipivich
Old January 20th 13, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:14:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Ive seen guys split the wire and dip it in a small vial of acid of
some sort, which breaks down the insulation rather quickly.

I cannot remember what it was though. Or it was some sort of solvent.

I do recall they pulled off the now soft as jello insul with pliers

Gunner

1. Lie
Old January 20th 13, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ma Bell gave her boys a special stripper for that stuff. It had
two notchs for the wire and a guide to hold the jacket in the right
position. I saw one, but I never saw anyone use one. The new stuff
has a plastic jacket tht can be even worse.

Having been a friend of Ma Bell...contractor...I had one. Didnt work
worth a ****.

I probably still have it somewhere out in the bins

Sometimes 'nothing' is better than 'better than nothing'. ;-)

Ive seen guys split the wire and dip it in a small vial of acid of
some sort, which breaks down the insulation rather quickly.

I cannot remember what it was though. Or it was some sort of solvent.

I do recall they pulled off the now soft as jello insul with pliers

Which is why installer prefer jelled direct bury cable these days.
Old March 24th 15, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think you mean the right.

Old September 6th 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 9:14:17 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus31473 wrote:
I would like to make a wire stripper. And by this, I do not mean those
"look, mommy, I made a wire stripper from a knife blade and toy car
wheels".

I mean a powered industrial machine that is

a) Safe in use
b) Can strip significant amount of wire per hour
c) Strips cables up to 1 inch thick.

I can find a gear motor and other equipment without problems, I just
wanted to see if anyone was aware of similar projects that worked out
well.

I found a good machine that you can make (I am going to make one also).
This machine requires some rollers from an old excerise machine, a motor, belt and some wood. It does not have any blades at all, and the insulation is burnt off using only friction. This stripper can handle any type of wire you throw at it. You can see it in action here with instructions on how to build it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQr6QwacJHQ

Good luck!
Rich

Holub Wire Stripper Mike Dobony Home Repair 9 May 27th 17 08:44 PM
C.K Automatic Wire Stripper The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 January 7th 12 11:47 PM
better wire stripper and crimp pins Karl Townsend Metalworking 16 November 23rd 10 04:14 AM
Wire stripper James[_4_] UK diy 24 January 20th 08 02:08 PM
A decent automatic wire stripper. Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 4 February 2nd 07 05:14 PM