Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Took some photos in the shop today....

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
:

Is your house big enough for a steam engine?
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...grange/images/
prestongrange-450.jpg

Heh! I have a business acquaintance who found a Scottish Engine House
for sale in Rock Hill, NC. He and one other helper rebuilt it with only
hand tools, moving three-ton stones back into place (some of them 30'
up!) and grouting them.

Then, he converted the whole of it into a "Mystical Wedding Chapel".

No... he didn't trash the steam engine. It's re-assembled elsewhere as a
display.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
:

Is your house big enough for a steam engine?
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...grange/images/
prestongrange-450.jpg

oops! Sorry... It's "Castle McCulloch".

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:10:58 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
When the
economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
several
months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
afternoon, finally.

Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?

Not with a whopping 45 watts of solar power, ah sho hain't.
I'd need a battery bank and lots more solar panels for that.

It's my first step in backup power, and it will be used for running
the new LED lights (ranging from 3-9W apiece) and charging a laptop, a
phone, and a Kindle.

If it's the middle of the winter and the temp is 20F, I -may- set up a
tent in my office, cover it with bedspreads, and try the little 12v
car heater to attempt warmth for my bod only. That's iffy at best.
The light comes out first. http://tinyurl.com/mh58wqz It appears to
use 102W, which would deplete my battery in a short time.

Next is a manual pump for my well. http://tinyurl.com/kja8lpp maybe?

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:58:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
When the
economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
several
months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
afternoon, finally.

Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?

It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

CRIKEY! I'm gonna need a lot more batteries and a much larger
inverter. I can't survive without my li'l nuker, though I do have all
the parts for a solar oven now.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:55:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
09:58:02 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
When the
economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
several
months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
afternoon, finally.

Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?

It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for one of
those.

Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)

Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:58:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Jim Wilkins wrote:
??
?? "Larry Jaques" ? wrote in message
?? ? When the
?? ? economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
?? ? several
?? ? months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
?? ? afternoon, finally.
??
?? Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
?? shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?
?
?
? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

CRIKEY! I'm gonna need a lot more batteries and a much larger
inverter. I can't survive without my li'l nuker, though I do have all
the parts for a solar oven now.

Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that steaming
hot midnight snack.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:55:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
?? 09:58:02 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Jim Wilkins wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

Not with a whopping 45 watts of solar power, ah sho hain't.
I'd need a battery bank and lots more solar panels for that.

If it's the HF 45W kit you'll be lucky to get much over 30 watts from
it for long. 3*0.8A = 2.4A. That's 28.8W into a 12.0V battery, which
is about what they drop to after only a short discharge. The extra ~2V
voltage needed to charge them is wasted.

The panels put out a relatively constant current that doesn't vary
much with the load voltage. Look at the rating sticker on the back.
The charging voltage at the battery won't go above 14.4V where the
controller cuts off to avoid slowly killing an unused battery. Mine
turns back on at 13.2V.

An ammeter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/85C1-A-Analog-...rds=ammeter+5a

with in and out plugs is very helpful when you are setting up the
panels, and to monitor the current indoors afterwards. 5A is enough to
add a panel or two if they go on sale. I used 2-pin molded trailer
connectors between the panels and controller but Andersons might have
been better.

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Power...rson+connector

I put Andersons on the load side and didn't want to risk
cross-connecting them.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:55:23 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:55:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
?? 09:58:02 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Jim Wilkins wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Great minds think alike. slippery wink

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:53:52 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:58:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Jim Wilkins wrote:
??
?? "Larry Jaques" ? wrote in message
?? ? When the
?? ? economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
?? ? several
?? ? months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
?? ? afternoon, finally.
??
?? Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
?? shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?
?
?
? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

CRIKEY! I'm gonna need a lot more batteries and a much larger
inverter. I can't survive without my li'l nuker, though I do have all
the parts for a solar oven now.

Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that steaming
hot midnight snack.

WHAT? Are you telling me that there are possibly some cringe
-limitations- to using solar? It's not perfect? Sacre bleu!
Mon dieu!

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:04:46 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

Not with a whopping 45 watts of solar power, ah sho hain't.
I'd need a battery bank and lots more solar panels for that.

If it's the HF 45W kit you'll be lucky to get much over 30 watts from
it for long. 3*0.8A = 2.4A. That's 28.8W into a 12.0V battery, which
is about what they drop to after only a short discharge. The extra ~2V
voltage needed to charge them is wasted.

It charged up the battery quickly today. I had been playing with the
LED lights quite a bit for several months without a charge. The
panels were putting out 15+V during thick cloud cover. That made me
happy. I guess it's time to pick apart the HF charge controller and
figure out what it will take to fix it when (not if) it breaks. Got
any suggestion for inexpensive replacements? I keep reading that the
cheap digital controllers (from everyone Chiwanese) are junk and
constantly breaking.

Now that the platform is built and the panels are installed, the
battery platform in and boxed, it's time to play Sparky in the attic.
It's a good thing I wake at 4am...

The panels put out a relatively constant current that doesn't vary
much with the load voltage. Look at the rating sticker on the back.
The charging voltage at the battery won't go above 14.4V where the
controller cuts off to avoid slowly killing an unused battery. Mine
turns back on at 13.2V.

An ammeter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/85C1-A-Analog-...rds=ammeter+5a

with in and out plugs is very helpful when you are setting up the
panels, and to monitor the current indoors afterwards. 5A is enough to
add a panel or two if they go on sale. I used 2-pin molded trailer
connectors between the panels and controller but Andersons might have
been better.

_AN_alog? (rolls eyes Sounds like a plan.

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Power...rson+connector

I put Andersons on the load side and didn't want to risk
cross-connecting them.

That's what I used on the back of my truck for the little winch
connections. $16 for the pair of 40A plastic housings/couplers + 4
terminals. They work pretty well. This is a much better price:
http://tinyurl.com/lmjs9ys

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
20:53:52 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:58:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Jim Wilkins wrote:
??
?? "Larry Jaques" ? wrote in message
?? ? When the
?? ? economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
?? ? several
?? ? months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
?? ? afternoon, finally.
??
?? Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
?? shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?
?
?
? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

CRIKEY! I'm gonna need a lot more batteries and a much larger
inverter. I can't survive without my li'l nuker, though I do have all
the parts for a solar oven now.

Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that steaming
hot midnight snack.

That's what the home built fusion reactor is for. Just fire that
puppy up and set the midnight snack on top!
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
12:55:51 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
When the
economy finally shreds, are you stocked up to make it through
several
months of turmoil? I'm setting up my solar backup panels this
afternoon, finally.

Have you found a way to keep your refrigerator cold 24/7 after they
shut down the coal and nuclear power plants?

It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for one of
those.

Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)

Who wants to know?

(I've got an idea for a set of solenoids to push the keys on my manual
typewriter. The tricky point is the computer interface - I want to be
able to use that as a printer option with the word processing program.
But "clackity clackity - ding! clackity clack...")
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
20:58:27 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:58:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Jim Wilkins wrote:
??
[...]

The Problem with solar can be summed up with two words "cloudy
sunset."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
20:55:19 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:55:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Tue, 18 Jun 2013
?? 09:58:02 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Jim Wilkins wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in my Youth: Mad Scientist
presenting the Madame with essentially a steam powered dildo. "It was
a little more complicated ..." but not undoable.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:00:49
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 18 Jun
2013
It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for one of
those.
--
pyotr filipivich

Is your house big enough for a steam engine?
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...grange-450.jpg

Yes, I do think it is.

But I doubt I have such a large steam engine in mind. Not now
anyway.
Later ....

pyotr

(Hmm, nuclear teapot to power a steam turbine. Could be done, just
can't let the Home Owner's Assoc know.)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

It charged up the battery quickly today. I had been playing with
the
LED lights quite a bit for several months without a charge. The
panels were putting out 15+V during thick cloud cover. That made me
happy. I guess it's time to pick apart the HF charge controller and
figure out what it will take to fix it when (not if) it breaks.

This includes the schematic and data sheets:
http://solarpanelkitatharborfreight....eight-charge-1

Got
any suggestion for inexpensive replacements? I keep reading that
the
cheap digital controllers (from everyone Chiwanese) are junk and
constantly breaking.

I'm satisfied with it, except for the current limit on the 12V outlet,
but a separate battery connection fixed that. The solar kit ran this
laptop through a week-long outage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter

Now that the platform is built and the panels are installed, the
battery platform in and boxed, it's time to play Sparky in the
attic.
It's a good thing I wake at 4am...

An ammeter such as this:...
with in and out plugs is very helpful when you are setting up the
panels, and to monitor the current indoors afterwards. ...

_AN_alog? (rolls eyes Sounds like a plan.

The low-cost digital ammeters I looked at need their differential
current sense inputs biased to about half way between the power supply
rails, meaning a floating power supply separate from the solar input,
or a battery pack.
http://www.futurlec.com/Panel_Meters.shtml

The analog ones need electrical tape over their terminal screws. You
choose.

I put Andersons on the load side and didn't want to risk
cross-connecting them.

That's what I used on the back of my truck for the little winch
connections. $16 for the pair of 40A plastic housings/couplers + 4
terminals. They work pretty well. This is a much better price:
http://tinyurl.com/lmjs9ys

I buy Andersons surplus or at ham radio flea markets, the 350A ones
for my winch were $1 apiece. A small screwdriver unlatches the
contacts. Amazon just loads quickly on dial-up.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

?pyotr filipivich wrote:

I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for one of
those.

Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)

Who wants to know?

Anyone close enough to get hurt. ;-)

(I've got an idea for a set of solenoids to push the keys on my manual
typewriter. The tricky point is the computer interface - I want to be
able to use that as a printer option with the word processing program.
But "clackity clackity - ding! clackity clack...")

Late '70s BYTE magazine had the kit to do that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
??
?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)
?? ??
?? ?? I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for
?? ?? one of those.
?? ?
?? ?
?? ? Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)
??
?? Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...
?
? Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?

Great minds think alike. ?slippery wink?

Watch out for burns from the live steam.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

WHAT? Are you telling me that there are possibly some ?cringe?
-limitations- to using solar? It's not perfect? Sacre bleu!
Mon dieu!

Solar! Brought to you by the people who forced AGW down your throat!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
? Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that
? steaming hot midnight snack.

That's what the home built fusion reactor is for. Just fire that
puppy up and set the midnight snack on top!

Wait till the greenies find out that you're split'n atoms!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

(I've got an idea for a set of solenoids to push the keys on my
manual
typewriter. The tricky point is the computer interface - I want to
be
able to use that as a printer option with the word processing
program.
But "clackity clackity - ding! clackity clack...")
--
pyotr filipivich

Why not chuck a pen in your CNC mill and write it out longhand?

http://www.fi.edu/learn/sci-tech/aut...nstrumentation

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:16:51 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

?pyotr filipivich wrote:

I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for one of
those.

Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)

Who wants to know?

Anyone close enough to get hurt. ;-)

(I've got an idea for a set of solenoids to push the keys on my manual
typewriter. The tricky point is the computer interface - I want to be
able to use that as a printer option with the word processing program.
But "clackity clackity - ding! clackity clack...")

Late '70s BYTE magazine had the kit to do that.

Wahahahahahaha!

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:54:02
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

(I've got an idea for a set of solenoids to push the keys on my
manual typewriter. The tricky point is the computer interface - I want to
be able to use that as a printer option with the word processing program.
But "clackity clackity - ding! clackity clack...")
--
pyotr filipivich

Why not chuck a pen in your CNC mill and write it out longhand?

http://www.fi.edu/learn/sci-tech/aut...nstrumentation

We calls them "plotters"

The typewriter concept came up after a friend complained that they
were spending more of their time trying to get their term "paper"
printouts to look right, than actually trying to get the contents of
the paper to _be_ right. Seems that in This Modern Age - three pages
of properly formatted gibbberish (Lorem ipsum, any one?) is more
important than "writing" a paper with complete grammatical sentences,
and a logical structure.
And as I was "tech support" - "Sorry teacher, I do not have a
computer, I use a manual typewriter.". Even if I have to kludge
together an interface to have the computer "type things out".
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:20:11 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
??
?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)
?? ??
?? ?? I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for
?? ?? one of those.
?? ?
?? ?
?? ? Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)
??
?? Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...
?
? Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?

Great minds think alike. ?slippery wink?

Watch out for burns from the live steam.

Them leather belts aren't all for show & tell. Err. ...
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:27:23 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
? Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that
? steaming hot midnight snack.

That's what the home built fusion reactor is for. Just fire that
puppy up and set the midnight snack on top!

Wait till the greenies find out that you're split'n atoms!

Fusion, fusing - but they will probably picket me for violence
against atoms, or some such drivel.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ? Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that
?? ? steaming hot midnight snack.
??
?? That's what the home built fusion reactor is for. Just fire that
?? puppy up and set the midnight snack on top!
?
? Wait till the greenies find out that you're split'n atoms!

Fusion, fusing - but they will probably picket me for violence
against atoms, or some such drivel.

We all know that you're better at taking things apart, than putting
them together. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:20:11 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?? ? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for
?? ?? ?? one of those.
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)
?? ??
?? ?? Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...
?? ?
?? ? Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?
??
?? Great minds think alike. ?slippery wink?
?
? Watch out for burns from the live steam.

Them leather belts aren't all for show ? tell. Err. ...

You tell us, it's your machine...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:16:51 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?
?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ??
[...]

The Selectric was easier to convert, with just seven solenoids.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:20:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
??
?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)
?? ??
?? ?? I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for
?? ?? one of those.
?? ?
?? ?
?? ? Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)
??
?? Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...
?
? Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?

Great minds think alike. ?slippery wink?

Watch out for burns from the live steam.

Go for a low-voltage electric girlfriend instead, wot?
_Much_ safer.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Try the Apple Store. Surely, someone has a typewriter app out by
now...

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:00:49
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..
"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 18 Jun
2013
It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)

I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for one of
those.
--
pyotr filipivich

Is your house big enough for a steam engine?
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...grange-450.jpg

Yes, I do think it is.

But I doubt I have such a large steam engine in mind. Not now
anyway.
Later ....

pyotr

(Hmm, nuclear teapot to power a steam turbine. Could be done, just
can't let the Home Owner's Assoc know.)

Or the Greenies, or -any- other librulz.

Me? I'm still waiting for my Mr. Fusion.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:25:29 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

WHAT? Are you telling me that there are possibly some ?cringe?
-limitations- to using solar? It's not perfect? Sacre bleu!
Mon dieu!

Solar! Brought to you by the people who forced AGW down your throat!

That's AGWK to you, bubba. (Anthropogenic Global Warming, Kumbaya!)

Solar's fine, as long as you know it's limitations. It's no be
all/end all. Only nuke is that.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

It charged up the battery quickly today. I had been playing with
the
LED lights quite a bit for several months without a charge. The
panels were putting out 15+V during thick cloud cover. That made me
happy. I guess it's time to pick apart the HF charge controller and
figure out what it will take to fix it when (not if) it breaks.

This includes the schematic and data sheets:
http://solarpanelkitatharborfreight....eight-charge-1

Danke mucho, monsieur.

Got
any suggestion for inexpensive replacements? I keep reading that
the
cheap digital controllers (from everyone Chiwanese) are junk and
constantly breaking.

I'm satisfied with it, except for the current limit on the 12V outlet,
but a separate battery connection fixed that.

Yeah, I blew the fuse on the limited outlet with that heater. Luckily,
it came with a spare. Which reminds me to buy a few extras ASAP, or
install a breaker, which is a better idea.

The solar kit ran this laptop through a week-long outage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter

Bueno. Did you have to clear the snow off the panels, or did they
self-clear? The dark color is good for that.

Now that the platform is built and the panels are installed, the
battery platform in and boxed, it's time to play Sparky in the
attic.
It's a good thing I wake at 4am...

An ammeter such as this:...
with in and out plugs is very helpful when you are setting up the
panels, and to monitor the current indoors afterwards. ...

_AN_alog? (rolls eyes Sounds like a plan.

The low-cost digital ammeters I looked at need their differential
current sense inputs biased to about half way between the power supply
rails, meaning a floating power supply separate from the solar input,
or a battery pack.
http://www.futurlec.com/Panel_Meters.shtml

The analog ones need electrical tape over their terminal screws. You
choose.

TAPE I got. Quicker/cheaper/less.complex/much.easier.

I put Andersons on the load side and didn't want to risk
cross-connecting them.

That's what I used on the back of my truck for the little winch
connections. $16 for the pair of 40A plastic housings/couplers + 4
terminals. They work pretty well. This is a much better price:
http://tinyurl.com/lmjs9ys

I buy Andersons surplus or at ham radio flea markets, the 350A ones
for my winch were $1 apiece. A small screwdriver unlatches the
contacts. Amazon just loads quickly on dial-up.

That's a great deal.

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
our efforts.
-- Peter McWilliams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
15:43:26 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:16:51 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?
?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Ooh, that sounds good.

I was thinking to just make a set of fingers that "hunt and
peck"...

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
15:40:56 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ? Which is absolutely useless when you just have to have that
?? ? steaming hot midnight snack.
??
?? That's what the home built fusion reactor is for. Just fire that
?? puppy up and set the midnight snack on top!
?
? Wait till the greenies find out that you're split'n atoms!

Fusion, fusing - but they will probably picket me for violence
against atoms, or some such drivel.

We all know that you're better at taking things apart, than putting
them together. ;-)

yeahbutt, setting them itty bitty charges, and sequencing them
just right, so as to split them big atoms, just plain too much fussy
work. Just smack them smaller ones together, eventually they'll
stick.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
15:42:03 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 19 Jun 2013
09:20:11 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?? ? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for
?? ?? ?? one of those.
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)
?? ??
?? ?? Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...
?? ?
?? ? Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?
??
?? Great minds think alike. ?slippery wink?
?
? Watch out for burns from the live steam.

Them leather belts aren't all for show ? tell. Err. ...

You tell us, it's your machine...

Well let me get the blasted thing designed on something more
substantial that a cocktail napkin!
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:20:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ?pyotr filipivich wrote:
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?? ? It'll be a great time to sell hand crank microwave ovens. ;-)
?? ?? ??
?? ?? ?? I'm working on the designs for a steam powered crank for
?? ?? ?? one of those.
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ?
?? ?? ? Why? Aren't you already cranky enough? ;-)
?? ??
?? ?? Oh, I thought he was talking about a new sex toy. Nevermind...
?? ?
?? ? Why? Were you going to pester him for a copy of the plans?
??
?? Great minds think alike. ?slippery wink?
?
?
? Watch out for burns from the live steam.

Go for a low-voltage electric girlfriend instead, wot?
_Much_ safer.

You speak from experience? ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:25:29 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? WHAT? Are you telling me that there are possibly some ?cringe?
?? -limitations- to using solar? It's not perfect? Sacre bleu!
?? Mon dieu!
?
?
? Solar! Brought to you by the people who forced AGW down your throat!

That's AGWK to you, bubba. (Anthropogenic Global Warming, Kumbaya!)

Solar's fine, as long as you know it's limitations. It's no be
all/end all. Only nuke is that.

I live in Florida. We use solar heating, year round.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yeahbutt, setting them itty bitty charges, and sequencing them
just right, so as to split them big atoms, just plain too much fussy
work. Just smack them smaller ones together, eventually they'll
stick.

Where are you going to find a small enough hammer? ;-)