Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help! Sharpening meat slicer blade

I have a meat slicer that uses a 6.5 dia. proprietary blade. The blade
has notches cut into the periphery but is not really scalloped. So
anybody here know the best way to sharpen this blade?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've never personally done one, but how about a
whet stone, on the edge while the blade is spinning?

Be ultra careful.

Or, whet stone while the blade is separate.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
news I have a meat slicer that uses a 6.5 dia. proprietary blade. The blade
has notches cut into the periphery but is not really scalloped. So
anybody here know the best way to sharpen this blade?
Thanks,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:08:33 -0800, wrote:

I have a meat slicer that uses a 6.5 dia. proprietary blade. The blade
has notches cut into the periphery but is not really scalloped. So
anybody here know the best way to sharpen this blade?
Thanks,
Eric

Voila!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...t+slicer+blade

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-26, wrote:
I have a meat slicer that uses a 6.5 dia. proprietary blade. The blade
has notches cut into the periphery but is not really scalloped. So
anybody here know the best way to sharpen this blade?
Thanks,

The easiest two ways a

1) Buy a new blade from the maker.

or

2) Send it to the maker for sharpening.

However -- if you want to do it yourself, for the main part of
the blade, hold a fine oilstone (e.g. a hard Arkansas stone) almost
parallel to the bevel on the backside while the motor turns it at normal
speed. Lubricate with a honing oil, of course, and move the stone
around so you don't form notches in the stone.

However -- for the notches in the blade, the way which makes
sense to me is:

1) Machine up an arbor to mount it to an index/dividing head, and
set it up to form multiple of the number of notches.

2) Set the index/dividing head so the profile of the notches is
parallel to the base of the index/dividing head.

3) Take a thin stone wheel on a surface grinder, and using a
diamond point, dress the stone to match the shape of the
notches.

4) Use the surface grinder to grind the notches just a little
deeper.

Not trivial, and requires tools which you may not have. (You
might be able to find some other way with whatever tools you have to
hand. But something like the index head is required to assure the
notches are all the same depth.

You may be able to get away with just the first part --
sharpening the main bevel. Try that first, and if that is not enough,
then you need to consider fixturing for the notches.

Depending on the size and shape of the notches, you might be
able to match it to a mounted stone point on a Dremel or the like. You
will still need some kind of indexing, and some way to mount the Dremel
so the depth of the notches is the same all the way around it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:49:05 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:08:33 -0800, wrote:

I have a meat slicer that uses a 6.5 dia. proprietary blade. The blade
has notches cut into the periphery but is not really scalloped. So
anybody here know the best way to sharpen this blade?
Thanks,
Eric

Voila!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...t+slicer+blade

Wow, there sure are a lot of "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" posts
there, mon. Scary ****, Maynard.

Chef Frank hones his knives on the fine stone and THEN steels them?
Moron. You want to straighten them first. I don't see where they got
the "sharpen a meat slicer" name for that video, unless he calls his
chef's knives "meat slicers." (first google link)

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 26 Nov 2012 23:33:51 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2012-11-26, wrote:
[...]

Than ks for the reply DoN, I forgot to add that the blade is no longer
available.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:26:25 -0500, "Steve W."

I have a meat slicer that uses a 6.5 dia. proprietary blade. The blade
has notches cut into the periphery but is not really scalloped. So
anybody here know the best way to sharpen this blade?
Thanks,
Eric

Sounds like a Chefs Choice? Blade looks like a saw blade from the side?

Those get sharpened from the back. They make a sharpener for them,
something like 40 bucks or so.

Greetings Steve,
The machine is a Rival brand machine. I wonder if the Chef's Choice is
the same machine. Anyway, my machine is pretty old, which is probably
why blades are no longer available. But I will check out the Chef's
Choice sharpener. In a worst case scenario I could drill out the
rivets holding the gear to my existing blade and attach a new blade. I
can drill new holes in the new blade with a carbide drill.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner, you obviously love your rapist in chief.

Jammed electric meat slicer Bob Jones[_2_] Home Repair 2 August 20th 07 04:27 AM
BLADE SHARPENING res0orrw Woodworking 3 September 8th 06 11:21 AM
Blade Sharpening J.F. Kirkland III Woodworking 19 July 13th 06 03:33 AM
Saw blade sharpening Sasha Woodworking 9 October 23rd 05 05:37 PM
blade sharpening Doug Woodworking 17 December 31st 04 10:15 PM