Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outa here for awhile

No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

Later, Tater!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart"
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

I hear ya... Cleaned out my RCM file this
morning, just checked again and 137
new ones were posted and only 7 made
it through my filters and only one of them
was On Topic. ;)}
phil k

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I agree, not a lot of metal working. I'm part of
the problem, and I ought to do better. My
apologies, sorry, Jim.

Vote Republican, the job you save may be
your own.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

news:alt.rec.crafts.metalworking is almost dead.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2012 12:24 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:
No significant metal comment.

It's gummer dweeber's fault.

Will check back after the elections.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not a metal splinter group? Those hurt.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

There is still metal content, you just need a better filter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

news:alt.rec.crafts.metalworking is almost dead.

Wouldn't that be a sliver group?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

I have been busy DOING metalwork.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-05, Pete C. wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

There is still metal content, you just need a better filter.

I see almost no political junk. I filtered out all crossposts and some
people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:36:25 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

news:alt.rec.crafts.metalworking is almost dead.

Wouldn't that be a sliver group?

Wouldn't a silver group be on-topic?

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 18:00:31 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
too much yap about crappy tools
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 2:24*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

Give it a month after the elections.

It will take at least a month for the conservatives to quit bitching
and whining about their loss.

Have a good vacation.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

You could start a splinter group.

news:alt.rec.crafts.metalworking is almost dead.

Wouldn't that be a sliver group?

I would hope so, but some people think that anything that shape is a
splinter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

I have been busy DOING metalwork.

So have several cities around here. One is removing an old water
tower, and another just removed their old 'Space Needle' ride. About a
half million pounds of scrap steel, in total.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:04:46 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

I have been busy DOING metalwork.

So have several cities around here. One is removing an old water
tower, and another just removed their old 'Space Needle' ride. About a
half million pounds of scrap steel, in total.

Looks like another load to China.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
too much yap about crappy tools

Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:04:46 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Steve B wrote:
??
?? "Jim Stewart" ? wrote in message
?? ...
?? ? No significant metal comment.
?? ?
?? ? Will check back after the elections.
??
?? I have been busy DOING metalwork.
?
?
? So have several cities around here. One is removing an old water
?tower, and another just removed their old 'Space Needle' ride. About a
?half million pounds of scrap steel, in total.

Looks like another load to China.

Probably. No steel mills around here. A lot leaves from the port of
Tampa.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 04:30:52 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

Those in need of better tools?

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
too much yap about crappy tools

Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.
--
pyotr

I was at Lowes recently, it was sad to see that Porter Cable is now
positioned below Dewalt as an economy line of tools. Reportedly they still
have a professional line.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

What craftsman has never made a mistake in purchasing? Ya buys yer
tools and ya takes yer chances. The crappy tools become backups once
you come to your senses. Or not.

I have a Makita impact driver but my old Ryobi drill motor is the
second one I've owned because they work so damned well for so little
money.

Ofttimes, the Ryobi will be used to drill pilots and the impact does
the work.

OTOH, there are Sears tools and Sears horsepower ratings...

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
in human beings of which they know nothing.
--Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct
2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

Those in need of better tools?

I keep the good tools in the house and bought cheap ones for the
vehicles and the shed out back. Many of the shed tools have bright
orange handles to make them easier to round up after building
something out in the woods.

I took the $5 orange-handled claw hammer to a neighbor's deck-building
party where the pro carpenters snickered at it, but soon were
borrowing it. I had reground the striking face to the shape and angle
I learned from the old Swedish cabinetmaker who taught high-school
shop class.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote

Sounds like the voice of management.

I prefer "a workman is only as good as his tools". I've worked for a few
places that expected quality work from worn out or just plain poor quality
tooling. Garbage in, garbage out.

David

Funny. I seem to recall cathedrals and churches that have been standing for
hundreds of years made with wooden squares and inferior metal chisels. I
disagree that "a workman is only as good as his tools." Freeing a stuck
piece of pipe and getting the machine to work again happens whether you are
using a Ridgid pipe wrench or a HF Chinese POS. Too many men I have seen
have become overconfident by owning good tools, and like computers, the tool
will do so much more than the operator knows how to make it do. You show me
a craftsman that knows EVERY trick and variance to using all the tools in
his box, and I will show you one damn fine craftsman.

And then there's the rest of us. We all have tools in our toolchests and
garages that we don't fully understand how to use, or barely know how to
operate.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
04:30:52 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

either "cheap" craftsmen, or crafty guys, who need something to
loam out, which they don't mind not getting back.

My dad once went to fix something at his mother in laws. She
still had her husbands tools. Lots of screw drivers. All "founds"
from by the side of the road. (Fred 'd been a road worker for a
while.) And Dad found out why they were all "finds" - nobody cared to
make sure they had been packed up when they left.

So yeah, sometimes you have crappy tools, so you can afford to
forget them.

tschus
pyotr

OTOH, it doesn't take many forgotten $1 yard sale knives or
flashlights to equal the one good one you would keep track of.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-06, Steve B wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

I have been busy DOING metalwork.

I *was* -- converting my old Bridgeport BOSS-3 to newer DC servo
motors and LinuxCNC (was EMC2) control -- until the BiJur lubricator
started a fire. Now I'm waiting for the insurance company to pull
everything out and evaluate it -- and rip out the drywall and replace it
after checking the wiring. Burning a liter of Vactra No. 2 in a closed
2-car garage really makes a mess. :-(

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

Those in need of better tools?

So they can keep doing crappy work?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-06, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

A "Sears Craftsman" these days? :-)

They *used* to be a lot better. (E.g back in the late 1960s and
early 1970s.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Sat, 06 Oct 2012
02:02:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
wrote:
?? ?
?? That is the woodworking newsgroup. I gave it up years ago -
?? too much yap about crappy tools
?
? Poor craftstmen always blame their tools.

But sometimes, it is the crappy tool.

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

What craftsman has never made a mistake in purchasing? Ya buys yer
tools and ya takes yer chances. The crappy tools become backups once
you come to your senses. Or not.

I have a Makita impact driver but my old Ryobi drill motor is the
second one I've owned because they work so damned well for so little
money.

Ofttimes, the Ryobi will be used to drill pilots and the impact does
the work.

OTOH, there are Sears tools and Sears horsepower ratings...

I have some crap tools, but I didn't buy them. They were in the
bottom of free boxes of junk electronics I picked up for parts. Early
Japanese imports that make everything at HF look like they are made for
top notch machinists. One of these days I'll dig them out & take
photos.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"David R. Birch" wrote

Sounds like the voice of management.

I prefer "a workman is only as good as his tools". I've worked for a few
places that expected quality work from worn out or just plain poor quality
tooling. Garbage in, garbage out.

David

Funny. I seem to recall cathedrals and churches that have been standing for
hundreds of years made with wooden squares and inferior metal chisels.

They weren't inferior for thier time, or the application, or the
buildings would have never been finished. If those chisels weren't
properly heat treated, they couldn't cut stone, or shape wood beams.
Who says a wood square can't be accurate? They weren't working to a
mil. 1/4" was probably closer than they needed.

disagree that "a workman is only as good as his tools." Freeing a stuck
piece of pipe and getting the machine to work again happens whether you are
using a Ridgid pipe wrench or a HF Chinese POS.

I've seen cheap Chinese POS pipe wrenches strip the teeth out of the
jaws on first use.

Too many men I have seen
have become overconfident by owning good tools, and like computers, the tool
will do so much more than the operator knows how to make it do. You show me
a craftsman that knows EVERY trick and variance to using all the tools in
his box, and I will show you one damn fine craftsman.

No one knows everything, but a true craftsman will always be on the
lookout for a better way to do a job.

And then there's the rest of us. We all have tools in our toolchests and
garages that we don't fully understand how to use, or barely know how to
operate.

Sorry about that, but I can use every tool I have. Not that I have
access to all trhe machine tools I used to use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What kind of craftsman owns crappy tools? ;-)

A "Sears Craftsman" these days? :-)

They *used* to be a lot better. (E.g back in the late 1960s and
early 1970s.

I gave up on Sears tools 20 years ago. I can't bring myself to call
them by the 'C' word.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-06, Steve B wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
No significant metal comment.

Will check back after the elections.

I have been busy DOING metalwork.

I *was* -- converting my old Bridgeport BOSS-3 to newer DC servo
motors and LinuxCNC (was EMC2) control -- until the BiJur lubricator
started a fire. Now I'm waiting for the insurance company to pull
everything out and evaluate it -- and rip out the drywall and replace it
after checking the wiring. Burning a liter of Vactra No. 2 in a closed
2-car garage really makes a mess. :-(

I heard about it, did not know that it was you, very sorry to hear
that, I hope that everything recovers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-06, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

I have been busy DOING metalwork.

I *was* -- converting my old Bridgeport BOSS-3 to newer DC servo
motors and LinuxCNC (was EMC2) control -- until the BiJur lubricator
started a fire. Now I'm waiting for the insurance company to pull
everything out and evaluate it -- and rip out the drywall and replace it
after checking the wiring. Burning a liter of Vactra No. 2 in a closed
2-car garage really makes a mess. :-(

I heard about it, did not know that it was you, very sorry to hear
that, I hope that everything recovers.

Thanks. It will be probably a couple of months before I know
what the status of everything is.

If you want to see just how much of a mess burning a liter of
Vactra No. 2 makes, take a look he

http://www.d-and-d.com/DISASTER/SHOP-1/index.html

I can't really spend much time in there with my asthma and all
the burnt oil and plastic fumes. (Including whatever the leftover from
burning Teflon insulation may happen to be.)

Thanks,
DoN.