DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Saved by disassembly photos (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/346470-saved-disassembly-photos.html)

Pete Keillor[_2_] September 15th 12 01:43 PM

Saved by disassembly photos

I finally got the trim-tilt up and running. Next trip down it goes
back on the boat. I ended up having to helicoil three of the four
threaded holes in the gear pump housing due to drilling out broken
bolts. Welding didn't work because there's just not much strength in
a 1/4-20 ss cap screw. They just twisted off again.

During reassembly, I hit a snag. I had a small metal bit with a hole
left over. It was a metering orifice by appearance. I hadn't mated
the gear pump- motor back to the main assembly yet. There was nothing
that matched this part either in the service manual or online. So I
downloaded the pictures I took during disassembly, and there it was,
in the bottom port of the main assembly. Back it went, finished
reassembly, topped up the fluid, hooked up my test harness, and fired
it up.

Worked great, no leaks, didn't even need much purging. Whew! Minus
parts cost, saved about $2.5k on that deal. That's assuming a
retiree's time is free, which is pretty much the case.

Pete Keillor