Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [OT] Low Tech Data Mining?

Occasionally, I get a folded paper sheet in a plastic bag weighted
by a few stones on my driveway. Often the text offers to allow me
to give up my major appliances, computers and car parts for
recycling. The most recent instructions say to leave the items on
the front of the property before 8:00 AM on 9/3.
The company name, phone number and various license numbers
on the sheet do not appear to be the slightest bit valid as per
Google.

They always require me to fill in my full name, phone number, address
and signature on their return paperwork, explaining that this info
is required by my state.

Call me paranoid (please, I pay!) but this smells very fishy.

Clearly, there are enough people that actually fill out this paperwork
to make it worthwhile to "Lorenzo" of "Green Hauling".

What is in it for him?

Your helpful clues, reactions or political libel please?

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Winston wrote:

[...]

Probably a local junk hauler; too small for Google to find.

Call your local Police and ask them.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Low Tech Data Mining?

On Sep 1, 3:29*pm, Winston wrote:
[...]

Sounds ironic, but I zink dey don't want trouble with the coppers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:28:23 -0700, Denis G. wrote:

On Sep 1, 3:29Â*pm, Winston wrote:

(...)

Your helpful clues, reactions or political libel please?

Thanks!

--Winston

Sounds ironic, but I zink dey don't want trouble with the coppers.

Well, sheet. That has my stamp of approval.
You should billet with a group I'm forming.
The Bent Punsters translate poorly but we
are real cut-ups.

--Winston -- OK! I'll be quiet! (I know the drill).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

Probably a local junk hauler; too small for Google to find.

OK, sounds reasonable.

Call your local Police and ask them.

Thanks Joe, but my local cops have 'way more than enough on
their hands.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/1/2012 5:58 PM, Winston wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

Probably a local junk hauler; too small for Google to find.

OK, sounds reasonable.

Call your local Police and ask them.

Thanks Joe, but my local cops have 'way more than enough on
their hands.

--Winston

Call the local NON-EMERGENCY number. You will get a dispatcher. Ask
him/her. They know more about what is going on than any of your cops and
will answer you question.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

[...]

Check with the BBB to see if they have a record. Also, call the county
clerk and ask if they are a real company and are non-profit.

You can probably do both online.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 7:56*pm, Winston wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:28:23 -0700, Denis G. wrote:
On Sep 1, 3:29*pm, Winston wrote:

(...)

Your helpful clues, reactions or political libel please?

Thanks!

--Winston

Sounds ironic, but I zink dey don't want trouble with the coppers.

Well, sheet. That has my stamp of approval.
You should billet with a group I'm forming.
The Bent Punsters translate poorly but we
are real cut-ups. *

--Winston -- OK! I'll be quiet! (I know the drill).

OK, I'll join and I'll be quiet too! It's probably better to escape
notice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1 Sep 2012 20:28:33 GMT, Winston wrote:

Occasionally, I get a folded paper sheet in a plastic bag weighted
by a few stones on my driveway. Often the text offers to allow me
to give up my major appliances, computers and car parts for
recycling. The most recent instructions say to leave the items on
the front of the property before 8:00 AM on 9/3.
The company name, phone number and various license numbers
on the sheet do not appear to be the slightest bit valid as per
Google.

They always require me to fill in my full name, phone number, address
and signature on their return paperwork, explaining that this info
is required by my state.

Call me paranoid (please, I pay!) but this smells very fishy.

Clearly, there are enough people that actually fill out this paperwork
to make it worthwhile to "Lorenzo" of "Green Hauling".

What is in it for him?

He's -probably- being 20-questioned by the salvage yard who has legal
ramifications for taking in anonymous scrap in. I've had to sign my
name/addy in the sales slip when scrapping.

He's probably OK, but you might want to leave a note out there for him
to come see you before he gets the goodies. Verify he's who he says
he is and why he needs the info.

OR, if you're devious and use your enemy's name and address...

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:34:00 -0700, Paul Drahn wrote:

On 9/1/2012 5:58 PM, Winston wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:07 -0400, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

Probably a local junk hauler; too small for Google to find.

OK, sounds reasonable.

Call your local Police and ask them.

Thanks Joe, but my local cops have 'way more than enough on their
hands.

--Winston

Call the local NON-EMERGENCY number. You will get a dispatcher. Ask
him/her. They know more about what is going on than any of your cops and
will answer you question.

There's an idea. 'Probably what Joe had in mind. Thanks.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:06:24 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

(...)

Check with the BBB to see if they have a record. Also, call the county
clerk and ask if they are a real company and are non-profit.

You can probably do both online.

OK. Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:40:51 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On 1 Sep 2012 20:28:33 GMT, Winston wrote:

(...)

What is in it for him?

He's -probably- being 20-questioned by the salvage yard who has legal
ramifications for taking in anonymous scrap in. I've had to sign my
name/addy in the sales slip when scrapping.

Heck, I'll just continue dropping the recyclables in the big blue bin.
Those guys *already* know where I live.

He's probably OK, but you might want to leave a note out there for him
to come see you before he gets the goodies. Verify he's who he says he
is and why he needs the info.

Um. No thankyouverymuch.

OR, if you're devious and use your enemy's name and address...

Nah. I leave deviousness to others.

Deviation, OK but never deviousness.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2 Sep 2012 05:10:30 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:40:51 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On 1 Sep 2012 20:28:33 GMT, Winston wrote:

(...)

What is in it for him?

He's -probably- being 20-questioned by the salvage yard who has legal
ramifications for taking in anonymous scrap in. I've had to sign my
name/addy in the sales slip when scrapping.

Heck, I'll just continue dropping the recyclables in the big blue bin.
Those guys *already* know where I live.

I scrap metal stuff myself. It fills the gas tank, wot? But only
scrap hits the scrap yard. Broken machines I sell, if I haven't fixed
them myself. That's easier on both me and the machine, KWIM,V?

He's probably OK, but you might want to leave a note out there for him
to come see you before he gets the goodies. Verify he's who he says he
is and why he needs the info.

Um. No thankyouverymuch.

Wuss! titter Make friends with the scrapper (or scrap feeder) and
he might find things you need when you need 'em. Or, if you see that
he's a seedy character, stop him on the way to the house and say
"Never mind."

OR, if you're devious and use your enemy's name and address...

Nah. I leave deviousness to others.

Deviation, OK but never deviousness.

Whenever I feel that a company, whatever, wants too much info, I give
them some fabricated info. Joe Bleau, 123 Main St. Anytown, USA.
It lets the drone off the hook and keeps my anonymity. If you must
know, Facebook doesn't have my real birthday and places other than my
banks don't have my mother's real maiden name. It makes it that much
harder for thieves to steal my identity.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/01/2012 09:40 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

He's -probably- being 20-questioned by the salvage yard who has legal
ramifications for taking in anonymous scrap in. I've had to sign my
name/addy in the sales slip when scrapping.

He's probably OK, but you might want to leave a note out there for him
to come see you before he gets the goodies. Verify he's who he says
he is and why he needs the info.

OR, if you're devious and use your enemy's name and address...

They passed a law here in Oregon requiring anyone hauling scrap metal to
have a permit in hand for the scrap metal. Basically, if you don't fill
out a permit, you are in violation of the law.

" SB 570 created a new crime for “Unlawfully Transporting Metal
Property” if a person transports metal property on a public highway or
on premises open to the public with the intent to deliver the metal
property to a scrap metal business and the person does not have a metal
transportation certificate in their possession. “Unlawfully
Transporting Metal Property” is a Class C misdemeanor. "

http://cms.oregon.gov/osp/pages/meta...rtificate.aspx

I'm guessing OP is in a state with similar regulations.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You are lucky. I get cryptic notes, sealed tiny little bags filled
with pea gravel and once....5 unexposed 35mm film cartridges long
expired...all with cryptic notations to hide them from the
Government!!

Im nice to one of the local paranoid-skitz ladies who occasionally
wanders the neighborhood, and when I see her, offer her water in her
walkabouts in a full length winter duster, backpack filled with canned
goods and bits of this and that. So Ive become one of her secret
conspirators.

Nice lady...but loony as a Leftwinger

Gunner

--
The essential differences between liberals and conservtives
is that liberals could not exist without conservtives to defend

Conservatives on the other hand, can exist and
live quite well without liberals."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 06:05:30 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On 2 Sep 2012 05:10:30 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:40:51 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I scrap metal stuff myself. It fills the gas tank, wot? But only scrap
hits the scrap yard. Broken machines I sell, if I haven't fixed them
myself. That's easier on both me and the machine, KWIM,V?

My garage is where Machines Go To Die.
If I can't resurrect, I'm blessed with many many lovely parts.
I rarely sell and only then at a stunning loss.

However I Freecycle religiously.

He's probably OK, but you might want to leave a note out there for him
to come see you before he gets the goodies. Verify he's who he says
he is and why he needs the info.

Um. No thankyouverymuch.

Wuss!

I represent that remark.

titter Make friends with the scrapper (or scrap feeder) and he
might find things you need when you need 'em. Or, if you see that he's
a seedy character, stop him on the way to the house and say "Never
mind."

I think I have sufficient evidence of seediness.
I'm not talking 'honest seedy' here.

(...)

Whenever I feel that a company, whatever, wants too much info, I give
them some fabricated info. Joe Bleau, 123 Main St. Anytown, USA. It
lets the drone off the hook and keeps my anonymity. If you must know,
Facebook doesn't have my real birthday and places other than my banks
don't have my mother's real maiden name. It makes it that much harder
for thieves to steal my identity.

I suppose.

It's a little harder when my recycle goods are clearly in my driveway
at 123 Catscratch Court and the paperwork attached says they came from
5622 Itchy Way, nes pas?

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:20:15 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

(...)

" SB 570 created a new crime for €œUnlawfully Transporting Metal
Property€ if a person transports metal property on a public highway or
on premises open to the public with the intent to deliver the metal
property to a scrap metal business and the person does not have a metal
transportation certificate in their possession. €œUnlawfully
Transporting Metal Property€ is a Class C misdemeanor. "

http://cms.oregon.gov/osp/pages/meta...rtificate.aspx

I'm guessing OP is in a state with similar regulations.

OP here.

I'm not aware of any such for California. If the law does exist, it must
be *very* selectively enforced because we have donation centers generously
dotted throughout the area.

Hang on ..
[http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/.../ab_0201-0250/
ab_237_cfa_20090413_114346_asm_comm.html]

Huh. That'll be what I learned today.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

Interesting. Big market in stolen kitchen grease in California?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Sep 2012 04:24:48 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 06:05:30 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On 2 Sep 2012 05:10:30 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:40:51 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I scrap metal stuff myself. It fills the gas tank, wot? But only scrap
hits the scrap yard. Broken machines I sell, if I haven't fixed them
myself. That's easier on both me and the machine, KWIM,V?

My garage is where Machines Go To Die.
If I can't resurrect, I'm blessed with many many lovely parts.
I rarely sell and only then at a stunning loss.

However I Freecycle religiously.

Ditto. $1,400 from Craigslist in the past few months and more to
Freecycle and Goodwill.

He's probably OK, but you might want to leave a note out there for him
to come see you before he gets the goodies. Verify he's who he says
he is and why he needs the info.

Um. No thankyouverymuch.

Wuss!

I represent that remark.

titter Make friends with the scrapper (or scrap feeder) and he
might find things you need when you need 'em. Or, if you see that he's
a seedy character, stop him on the way to the house and say "Never
mind."

I think I have sufficient evidence of seediness.
I'm not talking 'honest seedy' here.

Then, by all means, AVOID!

(...)

Whenever I feel that a company, whatever, wants too much info, I give
them some fabricated info. Joe Bleau, 123 Main St. Anytown, USA. It
lets the drone off the hook and keeps my anonymity. If you must know,
Facebook doesn't have my real birthday and places other than my banks
don't have my mother's real maiden name. It makes it that much harder
for thieves to steal my identity.

I suppose.

It's a little harder when my recycle goods are clearly in my driveway
at 123 Catscratch Court and the paperwork attached says they came from
5622 Itchy Way, nes pas?

It won't make any difference to either the picker-upper or the
scrapper. All they need is a piece of paper with a name and address on
it. Pretty soon, scrappers are going to be asking for photo ID.
Since scroungers are breaking into abandoned houses and shop and
ripping out the plumbing and wiring to scrap, that's only a normal
reaction by the PTBs.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 22:54:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 02 Sep 2012
20:20:20 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

(...)

So pick, 'Pet's name' and put an old girlfreind's name. Or pick
'Town you were born in' and use the name of an old freind.

Or pick something you can remember.

Recent (big, well-known) website had only two 'security'
questions and no way to enter 'custom' questions.

The questions we

"What was the name of your best childhood friend?"

How am I supposed to pick a favorite among that crowd?
Tomorrow afternoon will I be more kindly disposed to
Catherine or Jody?

"What is the name of your first born child?"

ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 08:18:23 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

In article ,
says...

(...)

Hang on ..
[
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/.../ab_0201-0250/
ab_237_cfa_20090413_114346_asm_comm.html]

Huh. That'll be what I learned today.

Interesting. Big market in stolen kitchen grease in California?

Bet your bippy there is.

Seemingly overnight, local fish 'n chips houses went from paying
to have used grease dumped, to locking the drums so that they have
a supply for the local Biodiesel guy who *pays them* for the
liquid gold.

[http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...fuels/4302655]
[http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24729484...onment/t/used-
cooking-oil-stolen-biodiesel-pirates/]

I'm gonna start an Internet rumor that clay dirt
can be converted to motor fuel for $1.00 a gallon.
Gonna call it "Goldman-Soil".

My back yard will have a swimming-pool size hole in it by the
time the entrepreneurs wise up.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
"What is the name of your first born child?"
--Winston

Luke Skywalker

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 18:29:30 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
"What is the name of your first born child?" --Winston

Luke Skywalker

It's the black mask and SCBA I wear while posting
on USENET, isn't it, Jim?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Sep 2012 21:45:01 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 22:54:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 02 Sep 2012
20:20:20 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

(...)

So pick, 'Pet's name' and put an old girlfreind's name. Or pick
'Town you were born in' and use the name of an old freind.

Or pick something you can remember.

Recent (big, well-known) website had only two 'security'
questions and no way to enter 'custom' questions.

The questions we

"What was the name of your best childhood friend?"

How am I supposed to pick a favorite among that crowd?
Tomorrow afternoon will I be more kindly disposed to
Catherine or Jody?

That's an easy one. Your single most horrible experience in childhood
revolves around one person. Use that person as your key.
Rex was the bully I stood up to in high school.

"What is the name of your first born child?"

ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

That's an easy one, too. Use you first pet's name.
They're children, too, aren't they? (That's why I don't believe in
pet ownership.)

Just bend their rules a bit and remember what you used, eh?
Keep a list of passwords and security answers in your safe, JIC.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Recent (big, well-known) website had only two 'security'
questions and no way to enter 'custom' questions.

The questions we

"What was the name of your best childhood friend?"

How am I supposed to pick a favorite among that crowd?
Tomorrow afternoon will I be more kindly disposed to
Catherine or Jody?

"What is the name of your first born child?"

ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

Yes! They presumed that you had a friend, and a kid... ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

That's an easy one. Your single most horrible experience in childhood
revolves around one person. Use that person as your key.
Rex was the bully I stood up to in high school.

Just one bully? It must have been a really tiny school.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston on 3 Sep 2012 21:45:01 GMT typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 22:54:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 02 Sep 2012
20:20:20 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

(...)

So pick, 'Pet's name' and put an old girlfreind's name. Or pick
'Town you were born in' and use the name of an old freind.

Or pick something you can remember.

Recent (big, well-known) website had only two 'security'
questions and no way to enter 'custom' questions.

The questions we

"What was the name of your best childhood friend?"

How am I supposed to pick a favorite among that crowd?
Tomorrow afternoon will I be more kindly disposed to
Catherine or Jody?

Spot. Bob. Which for security reasons is spelled "boB".

"What is the name of your first born child?"
ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

Answer - I have a child? "She says it is mine?"

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:28:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 03 Sep 2012
20:08:59 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

(...)

Yes! They presumed that you had a friend, and a kid... ;-)

And you remember.

What were we talking about, again?

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Recent (big, well-known) website had only two 'security'
questions and no way to enter 'custom' questions.

The questions we

"What was the name of your best childhood friend?"

How am I supposed to pick a favorite among that crowd?
Tomorrow afternoon will I be more kindly disposed to
Catherine or Jody?

"What is the name of your first born child?"

ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

Yes! They presumed that you had a friend, and a kid... ;-)

And you remember.

With over 60 passswords? A made a HTML document so that I can copy
and paste them from a memory stick.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 Sep 2012
16:09:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"What is the name of your first born child?"

ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

That's an easy one, too. Use you first pet's name.
They're children, too, aren't they? (That's why I don't believe in
pet ownership.)

What do you mean. The little buggers own us! I'm the one
dragging out of bed at oh dark early, to go buy them groceries. What
do they do? Complain because the sun moved away from where they were
sleeping!

Just bend their rules a bit and remember what you used, eh?
Keep a list of passwords and security answers in your safe, JIC.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 04 Sep 2012
04:04:48 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Winston wrote:

Recent (big, well-known) website had only two 'security'
questions and no way to enter 'custom' questions.

The questions we

"What was the name of your best childhood friend?"

How am I supposed to pick a favorite among that crowd?
Tomorrow afternoon will I be more kindly disposed to
Catherine or Jody?

"What is the name of your first born child?"

ISY not. A little presumptuous, aren't we?

Yes! They presumed that you had a friend, and a kid... ;-)

And you remember.

With over 60 passswords? A made a HTML document so that I can copy
and paste them from a memory stick.

I have gotten so frustrated of late. I got blocked from one
account for some reason. But I can contact them - by email. From my
account. Which is blocked.
Or I can call them. If they can answer the phone and solve the
issue in the one minute I have before the phone runs out ...
I need to get that letter in the mail asking them what
alternatives they have for fixing this problem. I really do.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

[...]

Like my credit union. You can't get their toll free number if you
can't log in to their website. Or my truck insurance. They expire your
password, without warning. Then you spend an hour on the phone trying
to convince them of who you are, just to pay the damn bill.