Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default gunner - hot stick

Gunner... Do you have a 35-foot hot stick you'd like to sell?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gunner... Do you have a 35-foot hot stick you'd like to sell?

Come on Lloyd, tell us why you'd need a
35-foot hot stick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart fired this volley in news:k1o8m9$4r0$1
@dont-email.me:

Come on Lloyd, tell us why you'd need a
35-foot hot stick.

I'm truly "in the boondocks". My power line to the shop is the only
highway between two big oaks on my power easement. Like clockwork, about
every six weeks, a squirrel decides to make a "reconaissance stop" on my
line transformer, and blows the cricket -- not to mention his brains.

Where I live, a "single residential/rural" customer outage takes up to
five hours response-time.

I'd like to be able to "respond" myself.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:49:51 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Jim Stewart fired this volley in news:k1o8m9$4r0$1

@dont-email.me:

Come on Lloyd, tell us why you'd need a

35-foot hot stick.

I'm truly "in the boondocks". My power line to the shop is the only

highway between two big oaks on my power easement. Like clockwork, about

every six weeks, a squirrel decides to make a "reconaissance stop" on my

line transformer, and blows the cricket -- not to mention his brains.

Where I live, a "single residential/rural" customer outage takes up to

five hours response-time.

I'd like to be able to "respond" myself.

LLoyd

Damn, 550 bucks for a hastings telescoping unit (ST-240), pricey buggers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 3:59*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in news:f46c4e63-783d-4329-8b39-
:

Damn, 550 bucks for a hastings telescoping unit (ST-240), pricey buggers.

yeah... $87.50 for the part. *The rest is liability insurance.

LLoyd

Would a fiberglass ladder let you use a shorter hot stick?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in news:9f168321-
:

Would a fiberglass ladder let you use a shorter hot stick?

Only if you hold it.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:503fd42d$0
:

Should you get a hot stick, also be sure to get proper HV gloves as a
second line of defense and the proper equipment to test both regularly
like the utilities do. Becoming a charcoal briquette or worse to save a
few hours is something to consider.

Thanks... I have the gloves, and a HiPot tester.

The service on our road is "only" 15KV (well... 14.7), according to the
power company.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:503fd42d$0
:

Should you get a hot stick, also be sure to get proper HV gloves as a
second line of defense and the proper equipment to test both regularly
like the utilities do. Becoming a charcoal briquette or worse to save a
few hours is something to consider.

Thanks... I have the gloves, and a HiPot tester.

The service on our road is "only" 15KV (well... 14.7), according to the
power company.

Lloyd

Yea, it will "only" blow your arms off, rather than kill you outright...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:503fde0a$0$15464
:

Yea, it will "only" blow your arms off, rather than kill you outright...

If you find me with no arms and no legs lying in a pile of leaves, just
call me "Rustle".

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:49:50 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Jim Stewart fired this volley in news:k1o8m9$4r0$1
:

Come on Lloyd, tell us why you'd need a
35-foot hot stick.

I'm truly "in the boondocks". My power line to the shop is the only
highway between two big oaks on my power easement. Like clockwork, about
every six weeks, a squirrel decides to make a "reconaissance stop" on my
line transformer, and blows the cricket -- not to mention his brains.

Where I live, a "single residential/rural" customer outage takes up to
five hours response-time.

I'd like to be able to "respond" myself.

Ask the power company to put in an extension and give you the key.
Tell them how much money it'll save them by not having to respond all
the time. Money talks. I see these here for the "fuses" on the
xfmrs, with locked 'shovel handle' resets at the 7' level, so I know
they exist.

Otherwise, just borrow a set of gaffs and a belt to climb it yourself.
It looks like fun!

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:59:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in news:f46c4e63-783d-4329-8b39-
:

Damn, 550 bucks for a hastings telescoping unit (ST-240), pricey buggers.

yeah... $87.50 for the part. The rest is liability insurance.

That must be why they're all getting $350 for gaffs.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Ask the power company to put in an extension and give you the key.
Tell them how much money it'll save them by not having to respond all
the time. Money talks. I see these here for the "fuses" on the
xfmrs, with locked 'shovel handle' resets at the 7' level, so I know
they exist.

Now, that's an idea! I'll ask. I've never seen one of those in these
parts.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:49:50 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Jim Stewart fired this volley in
news:k1o8m9$4r0$1 @dont-email.me:

Come on Lloyd, tell us why you'd need a 35-foot hot stick.

I'm truly "in the boondocks". My power line to the shop is the only
highway between two big oaks on my power easement. Like clockwork,
about every six weeks, a squirrel decides to make a "reconaissance stop"
on my line transformer, and blows the cricket -- not to mention his
brains.

Where I live, a "single residential/rural" customer outage takes up to
five hours response-time.

I'd like to be able to "respond" myself.

LLoyd

Can you string a rope or other alternate "highway"? And perhaps talk the
power co. into putting squirrel stops on the line (which won't stop the
little buggers, but might encourage them to use the rope).

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He's dating a 40 foot woman?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gunner... Do you have a 35-foot hot stick you'd like to sell?

Come on Lloyd, tell us why you'd need a
35-foot hot stick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

He's dating a 40 foot woman?

You're thinking of the movie: 'Attack of the 50 Foot Woman', which
was filmed in California, in 1958.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051380/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:16:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Tim Wescott fired this volley in news:dNmdnXeDZ_
:

And perhaps talk the
power co. into putting squirrel stops on the line

another idea. But you'd have thought they'd have done that after about the
fifteenth call! Again, I haven't seen those... didn't know they were
available.

LLoyd

If they're out that often, the Power Company should be ready to talk
remediation and avoidance - it probably costs them $500 every time
their phone rings. Some of those HV Fuses are $50 to $100 each.

They make big plastic rings for around the power lines, kinda like the
"Cone Of Shame" for dogs. That kind of stuff will discourage the
squirrels from taking that route.

Then put up some nice 2X2 lumber below the power lines as the Fast
Easy & Safe path for the squirrels to take.

Then get the Power Company to change out those fuses for a circuit
breaker - they do exist, but they usually don't want to spend the
money putting them up for nothing. AND put another of those circuit
breakers out by the road where the line to your property branches off
the main line.

And better yet, they have Radio Remote Control breaker operators for
both the local and remote breakers, you don't have to do anything
other than call them up and tell them it's tripped out.

They can "Pull the Lever, Kronk!" and turn off or reset the breaker
all the way from the Dispatch Office. If you get real popular with
the Linemen, they can kill the remote switch out by the road and kill
the entire line, then you get a clearance number that it's cold...

Then you can safely knock the remains of the squirrel out of your
equipment with a simple fiberglass "Clearance Stick" - and they are a
whole lot less expensive than a full on Hot Stick, meant to make sure
that the drops are high enough where they cross the road.

You call them back and report the short is cleared, and they remotely
reset the breaker by the road, then reset the one out at your end of
the line. All done, lights back on, nobody had to come out. And they
didn't have any Liability concerns about you messing with their fuses.
And even if they left a spare set of fuses up on the pole (for you),
they'd still have to come out and put up more spares before it blew on
you again.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
He's dating a 40 foot woman?

You're thinking of the movie: 'Attack of the 50 Foot Woman', which
was filmed in California, in 1958.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051380/

Just saw a while ago that they are shooting a new one.

Attack of the 50ft Cheerleader

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2098627/

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm423536640/nm2916225

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
fired this volley in
:

Then get the Power Company to change out those fuses for a circuit
breaker - they do exist, but they usually don't want to spend the
money putting them up for nothing. AND put another of those circuit
breakers out by the road where the line to your property branches off
the main line.

Bruce,

It's seldom that there's more than one home on a single pole transformer
out in the boondocks, because there's a reasonable limit to how far you
can transmit 220V without excessively large wiring. So, out here, EVERY
house or barn has its own pole can, and every transformer has a cricket
breaker on it. I know of only one pair of buildings within a mile of
where I live that share a transformer, and they were built on opposite
sides of a fenceline by the same guy; one for him and his wife, one for
his mom-in-law.

Further, this is the lightning capitol of the world. (really) Virtually
every Summer thunderstorm takes out power somewhere. I cannot remember
the last time I saw an honest-for-goodness FUSE on a power pole. At
least in this state, they are ALL Breakers... The linemen around here
used to call them "crickets". They just swing down from one end when
they blow. I think they got their nickname because of the look of the
hinge and parts... kind of like a cricket's rear leg.

The lineman uses a hot stick to swing them back up into their contact.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" wrote:

[...]

Progress energy insists on inspecting the lines for damage before
replacing a fuse. They drive the roads, looking for downed lines &
limbs, even if they replaced the fuse a few days earlier. At one time, a
fuse near here went out every Friday at about 4:30 all summer long. That
happened every summer for over five years, but they refused to upgrade
the old wiring which was installed, piecemeal starting in '64.

LLoyd lives about 30 miles from me, so I doubt there is a lot of
difference in how they do maintenance. The problem stopped when several
older homes were torn down, reducing the load.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
He's dating a 40 foot woman?

You're thinking of the movie: 'Attack of the 50 Foot Woman', which
was filmed in California, in 1958.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051380/

Just saw a while ago that they are shooting a new one.

Attack of the 50ft Cheerleader

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2098627/

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm423536640/nm2916225

I always did like bad movies. Maybe they could add 'Texas Chainsaw
Massacre' to the cheerleaders, and they could go on a rampage, clearing
trees they don't like? ;-)

I recognize the name of a B movie actress: Mary Woronov

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001862/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Everyone got home from work and turned on the AC?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Progress energy insists on inspecting the lines for damage before
replacing a fuse. They drive the roads, looking for downed lines &
limbs, even if they replaced the fuse a few days earlier. At one time, a
fuse near here went out every Friday at about 4:30 all summer long. That
happened every summer for over five years, but they refused to upgrade
the old wiring which was installed, piecemeal starting in '64.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Everyone got home from work and turned on the AC?

& electric stoves, & TVs & computers &...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:08:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Everyone got home from work and turned on the AC?

& electric stoves, & TVs & computers &...

If it's that predictable an outage, the Power Utility has got to fix
it. Removing a few houses isn't a fix, upgrading the feeder into the
area is what they need to do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Everyone got home from work and turned on the AC?

& electric stoves, & TVs & computers &...

If it's that predictable an outage, the Power Utility has got to fix
it. Removing a few houses isn't a fix, upgrading the feeder into the
area is what they need to do.

The entire subdivision needs to be rebuilt. It is fed from a line
that leads to a school that snaps about once a month. The refuse to
replace the old wire, they just splice in pieces of wire to repair it.
One break started a fire, when it hit an old creosote coated fence.
I've had outages over 12 hours when that line broke, and couldn't leave
the subdivision, because the main road was closed while they worked.
they could build a new feed less than a half mile to tie us into new
feed on 441 that rarely goes out.

They waited for the fire department to put out the fire, then patched
it again. There is a single phase, 100A 7200 volt line into the
subdivision. The hardware is so old that they couldn't find enough
fuses a few years ago, after a hurricane. None of out of state trucks
carried any that old, and they went through their stock before they got
to me. It's a sick joke. They followed the top down method, and there
were only 20 some houses on the last fuse in the subdivision. One
reason the fuse doesn't blow as often is that most of the people can't
afford the higher rates to run their AC. I haven't used the central air
in over five years, and the window AC is running wide open to keep my
bedroom at 89° F today

Some cracked power poles weren't replaced for over five years, and one
rotten primary pole on Hwy. 441 (Belleview, Fl. 34420) was spliced with
2*4 & strand wrapped around for over a decade. Florida power was bad
enough, but Progress is worse. Now, Duke is trying to buy Progress.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

... Now, Duke is trying to buy Progress.

Hope that they do...Duke is class outfit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

... Now, Duke is trying to buy Progress.

Hope that they do...Duke is class outfit.

Is that why they are giving the liberals so much cash?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:12:45 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner... Do you have a 35-foot hot stick you'd like to sell?

Lloyd

Sure dont. I dont think Ive ever seen one of those for sale, ever.

Course Ive not looked for em.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Voltage...-/190720441585

6 hours to go

--
The essential differences between liberals and conservtives
is that liberals could not exist without conservtives to defend

Conservatives on the other hand, can exist and
live quite well without liberals."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Bodendiec...-/200804952416

--
The essential differences between liberals and conservtives
is that liberals could not exist without conservtives to defend
their freedom and support them economicaly.

Conservatives on the other hand, can exist and
live quite well without liberals."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Bodendiec...ng-Telepole-Ho
t-Stick-Model-SH230-/200804952416

Yup... I asked you before I looked.

That first one lacks the breaker finger, but the second is complete.

HOWever... I'm going to pursue a couple of the ideas offered here by
members before I violate the power company tariffs and find myself in
court.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:17:41 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Bodendiec...ng-Telepole-Ho
t-Stick-Model-SH230-/200804952416

Yup... I asked you before I looked.

That first one lacks the breaker finger, but the second is complete.

HOWever... I'm going to pursue a couple of the ideas offered here by
members before I violate the power company tariffs and find myself in
court.

LLoyd

Oh, absolutely - they find you messing with their wiring and fuses on
their pole without their explicit written permission (which you are
NOT going to get in writing...) and the Legal Dept. decides that
they're going after you, you are in a heap of trouble.

If the power company won't repair the line so it holds for more than a
week at a time, you need to go to the State PUC (or whoever regulates
them and issues the franchise rights) and raise holy hell till they
do. That is not a normal level of service.

In a properly run town, the power is out once or twice for short
periods over the course of a year, excepting those tenth-of-a-second
switching dropouts

And when it does go out, it's usually Car Hits Pole or other stuff out
of their control. They patch around and get everyone they can back on
within an hour.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:12:45 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner... Do you have a 35-foot hot stick you'd like to sell?

Lloyd

Sure dont. I dont think Ive ever seen one of those for sale, ever.

Liability. How do you know this has been tested for insulation leakage at
voltage? Back when I was in the power company biz, all equipment used for
HV work had to be tested periodically.

And I'd never use one of these without a pair of (tested) HV gloves as well.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dedicated to the unrestricted propagation of worthless

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:12:45 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner... Do you have a 35-foot hot stick you'd like to sell?

Lloyd

Sure dont. I dont think Ive ever seen one of those for sale, ever.

Liability. How do you know this has been tested for insulation leakage at
voltage? Back when I was in the power company biz, all equipment used for
HV work had to be tested periodically.

And I'd never use one of these without a pair of (tested) HV gloves as
well.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dedicated to the unrestricted propagation of worthless
information across the Internet.

I picked one up at a garage sale once. Brought it to work and someone lifted
it. I can't imagine that anyone would want to set a fuse and reenergize an
HV line without working for a utility. I've done HV splices but the utility
has always reneergized after getting OK from supervisors, etc..

Hey Gunner! Jim Chandler Metalworking 2 March 22nd 09 11:51 PM
Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 06:31 AM
GUNNER Larry Metalworking 0 August 17th 05 02:28 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 09:30 PM
Hey, Gunner! Larry Jaques Metalworking 14 March 27th 05 10:48 PM