Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:30:06 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:34:46 -0700 (PDT), Sidney
wrote:

On Sunday, July 8, 2012 at 12:36:47 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 10:15:03 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Wasn't it you who said they paid $5 for 2 ounces of MMO? You snipped
my reference from that post. Go back a couple posts and you'll see.

No... $5.00 for 2 ounces of "special air tool oil".

Lloyd
Cambell Hausfeld air tool oil in 8 oz bottle from Canadian tire is
$4.19
Home Despot sells their Husky brand for $4.49 on-line for 8 oz.

KleenFlo also sells air tool oil -at $44.90 for 4 liters from Acklands
Grainger - and for interest's sake, the MSDS on that product
indicates a boiling point of over 129C and a flashpoint of 69c. SG of
0.84,
Contains 1% Zinc C1-C14 alkyldithiophosphates, 60-100% Hydrotreated
petroleum oil, and 1-10% of both Naphthenic Oil and Hydrocarbon
Distillate.

Toolstore sells 20 oz of air tool oil (Bostich) for 7.99
Home Hardware sells the TopRing product in half liters for about $5.
Busy Bee sells 8 0z of Porter Cable air tool oil for $4.99.
CP Protectolube is sold in 591ml containers for $7.99 by KMS.

All CANADIAN prices, which are generally about 30% higher than Yankee
prices.

Any one ever try Kroil by Kano Lab. Good stuff.

Kroil is GREAT penetrating oil..but a bit too rich for airtool
oil..unless you happen to have a drum of it. Cheap ATF works just
fine for airtool oil.

It takes me decades to go through a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
It's likely just ATF glorified with additives, but I love the unique
smell, too.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

It takes me decades to go through a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
It's likely just ATF glorified with additives, but I love the unique
smell, too.

MMO is what Chicago Pneumatic ships as air tool oil.
It's basically a mineral oil with stoddard solvent along with a couple
types of dichlorobenzene to dissolve carbon and varnish. If you ever
tear apart a high speed air motor, take a look at the vanes. Most will
have carbonized oil on them because of the friction between the bore and
the vanes.

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-- Vernon Sanders Law

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 at 11:37:26 PM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Picked up my impact wrench (1/2") and it stopped working. Pull the trigger and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No rotation.

Is this worth tearing into? Could something be gummed up, not letting air flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing things but I've never been inside an air tool.
All advise appreciated. BTW, the gun does not have that many hours on it. 9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per year.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

I had the same thing happening with mine, just did the ATF load and I think I got it! The interwebs are sooo useful. Thanks to all who contributed.